What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

betcats

Referee
Finding the Walsh criticism extremely harsh. Yeah he missed some assignments and was out of position to the panthers benefit but he is 21, those are the little areas that take time for any young player to get right. The media spent all week building the guy up and then bag him when he doesnt quite deliver on the ridiculous expectations being placed. Yeah he is young and brash and at times a bit cocky, that is good for the game. He backed it up many times this season, including in origin. Give the guy a break.

Also about half the number of teams in the competition

True. However, back then during that Dragons run, the big money for players was in the UK and they used to sign a lot of the most talented players from Australia. It only started petering out in the 1970s, with the decline in the UK becoming obvious with the 1982 Kangaroo tour.

Channel Nine, with some of the boneheaded mistake during its coverage of the GF reminded me why I hate watching them cover a game. There were a few matters which stuck out for me.

Firstly, when Turava caught the ball when contested by Cobbo. The commentators went on about how Cobbo may have been run off the ball and said watch the replay in the box. Thing is the replay came up showing something completely different and never showed this contest for the ball. The director dropped the ball on that one, you could hear Slater's tone of disbelief when the replay came up not showing it.

Secondly, Joey Johns observations during the game. There was one in the first half where the Panthers received a penalty when To'o was tackled after fielding a clearing kick inside his own quarter. Johns stated "I think you'll find that's for a high tackle" whilst the referee was quite clearly signalling that one of the tacklers was offside. Slater corrected him by saying it as for a chaser being offside. That was the biggest clanger I can remember from the entire commentary team.

One other was whoever came up with this nugget for the commentary team (and I can't remember who said it). During the second half they mentioned that if Brisbane won they would be the first team since the Wests Tigers in 2005 to go from outside the top 8 in one year to being premiers the next. I knew that was complete bullshit, as the 2013 Roosters had done it, finishing 13th in 2012 to being minor premiers and premiers in 2013.

Those 3 events alone show me that Nine need a complete overhaul of its coverage. They've been complacent for way too long.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Channel Nine, with some of the boneheaded mistake during its coverage of the GF reminded me why I hate watching them cover a game. There were a few matters which stuck out for me.

Firstly, when Turava caught the ball when contested by Cobbo. The commentators went on about how Cobbo may have been run off the ball and said watch the replay in the box. Thing is the replay came up showing something completely different and never showed this contest for the ball. The director dropped the ball on that one, you could hear Slater's tone of disbelief when the replay came up not showing it.

Secondly, Joey Johns observations during the game. There was one in the first half where the Panthers received a penalty when To'o was tackled after fielding a clearing kick inside his own quarter. Johns stated "I think you'll find that's for a high tackle" whilst the referee was quite clearly signalling that one of the tacklers was offside. Slater corrected him by saying it as for a chaser being offside. That was the biggest clanger I can remember from the entire commentary team.

One other was whoever came up with this nugget for the commentary team (and I can't remember who said it). During the second half they mentioned that if Brisbane won they would be the first team since the Wests Tigers in 2005 to go from outside the top 8 in one year to being premiers the next. I knew that was complete bullshit, as the 2013 Roosters had done it, finishing 13th in 2012 to being minor premiers and premiers in 2013.

Those 3 events alone show me that Nine need a complete overhaul of its coverage. They've been complacent for way too long.

Yeah i picked up the the Brisbane the first team since West tigers in 2005 to go from outside the 8 comment straight away and went WTF, i knew it was the Roosters in 2013, PARRA_ FAN also mentioned it when it happened also earlier in this thread.
Joey Johns is a complete f*ckwit when it comes to commentary, how he comes up with medical diagnosis of players injuries straight away while commentating is mind boggling, 95 % of the time he is completely wrong.

gUt

Coach

All without mentioning the bizarre inclusion of Pippen

Eelectrica

Referee
Yeah i picked up the the Brisbane the first team since West tigers in 2005 to go from outside the 8 comment straight away and went WTF, i knew it was the Roosters in 2013, PARRA_ FAN also mentioned it when it happened also earlier in this thread.
Joey Johns is a complete f*ckwit when it comes to commentary, how he comes up with medical diagnosis of players injuries straight away while commentating is mind boggling, 95 % of the time he is completely wrong.
Joey Johns might as well say “Oh my god! He’s broken in half!”

Based on his commentary you’d swear Reynolds wasn’t going to walk again and Walsh was done for a few months.

oop the boomer is still mad!!

Your hate for the Broncos is impressive, and greater than your love for Ricky's Raiders. You're the first one in here after a Broncos loss, but disappear and not to be seen when Canberra lose. Worse than IBM. It's a bit cute.

We're the centre of your universe!
You just love making up random shit in your deluded lil choker-loving brain.

I've posted directly after plenty of Raiders losses and shared in the despair with my fellow Raiders fans on here, or enjoyed some good ol ref-bash posting.

I'm not the first one on here after a Broncos loss. Plenty of people despise your team. I might post after a Bronco loss, I might not. I chose to post this time because this is the greatest choke in the history of the sport, with the 2015 GF a close 2nd. This is a monumental moment and I felt the need to discuss it.

Now, should I @ you after every Raiders loss in the future just for your bitch-ass?

#BornInThe80sBoomerStyle

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
You just love making up random shit in your deluded lil choker-loving brain.

I've posted directly after plenty of Raiders losses and shared in the despair with my fellow Raiders fans on here, or enjoyed some good ol ref-bash posting.

I'm not the first one on here after a Broncos loss. Plenty of people despise your team. I might post after a Bronco loss, I might not. I chose to post this time because this is the greatest choke in the history of the sport, with the 2015 GF a close 2nd. This is a monumental moment and I felt the need to discuss it.

Now, should I @ you after every Raiders loss in the future just for your bitch-ass?

#BornInThe80sBoomerStyle
Nice to see a reply from you without homophobia. Well done!

some11

Referee
Not true at all. I hated St. George as a kid. Then my team went and merged with them.

St. George Illawarra Dragons v Brisbane Broncos​

We're very much a work in progress. Some horridly soft defence. Some scintillating attack, and some vey poor decisions at crucial moments. Not time for panic stations by any means. On Sam Williams, I'd persist with him. I'm sure he'll come good if we show a bit of faith in him.

- Jason Maher (a Dragons fan)