What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

blue bags

First Grade
I can see a third team in Brisbane and one in Perth. Both teams will provide the Australian broadcasters with valuable content. The question is does the ARLC choose Adelaide or NZ 2 for the 20th team?

Adelaide is the 5th largest market in Australia but will require investment from the ARLC. None of the clubs will accept an expansion club that requires extra funding on top of the annual grant.

New Zealand 2 would be great for RL in New Zealand, but where does the team go?

Auckland cannot sustain a second team. No other market in New Zealand is big enough to support a team.

That's leaves us at 19 teams. The ARLC will probably choose one more and leave it at that doe some time. We know Ch9 want a third Brisbane team. WA Gov want a team.

If love to see the Bears relocate permanently to Adelaide or Christchurch. That would give us 20 teams.
2nd Melbourne team
Melbourne Bears 🐻

Forget about NZ2 ok
It's a joke 😂
Sort out NZ1 first
3rd team Brisbane west area

Keep East coast pumping
Thats where the action is okay
😉

blue bags

First Grade
Agreee. Wishful thinking to believe GWS or Suns will be going anywhere anytime soon. AFL doesn’t have all that many expansion options left so they definitely aren’t going to let either of their latest 2 die or relocate without a fight.
Perth 3rd team
And Tasmania team
Thats the plan

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It shouldn't be the role of a professional football club to develop grassroots, Its the role of the arlc via junior clubs and state leagues

The lack of Victorian juniors says everything about NRL Vic and its pitiful funding from the ARLC and nothing about the Melbourne Storm
The number of Victorians in the NRL (or moved on to SL) is growing and the Storm's SG Ball and Jersey Flegg teams have heaps of Victorians in them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They have teams in five states as opposed to three. So I would say their footprint is better.

But meh I hate that sport and we should not compare ourselves with it. I don’t even think that they are that well run - better run than us over the last 30 odd years sure but that isn’t hard.
It's not too much different. Top 8 cities by population:

1. Sydney - both
2. Melbourne - both
3. Brisbane - both
4. Perth - AFL only
5. Auckland - NRL only
6. Adelaide- AFL only
7. Gold Coast - both
8. Newcastle - NRL only

AFL make WA and SA sound impressive but in reality QLD have the same population as both states combined and NSW easily outstrips Victoria. RL heartlands are where the people are. Our administrators have typically been woeful at taking advantage of that fact, but hopefully that is beginning to change.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are you kidding? Have you seen their revenue and the deal that kicks in 2025? Cash is one thing they arent going to be short of

yeh I can see a South Brisbane club impacting, which is why Dolphins was such a sht decision from a fighting off AFL point of view. Lions are south of river and clearly target that area. So heres a good idea lets put in a club far north and ask them to also cover some even further north regions.
That's not correct mate. The AFL / Lions invested heavily in Brisbane North and Moreton Bay up to the Sunshine Coast. We've stopped them in their tracks with the Dolphins without spending a cent. In the future we'll thwart any plans they have out west with Brisbane 3.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's not correct mate. The AFL / Lions invested heavily in Brisbane North and Moreton Bay up to the Sunshine Coast. We've stopped them in their tracks with the Dolphins without spending a cent. In the future we'll thwart any plans they have out west with Brisbane 3.
Hardly “without spending a cent” dolphins are costing nrl around $17mill a Year.

Vee

First Grade
A combination of their own stupidity and news ltds

but about to be resurrected by the arl again

not many clubs get a second chance by the arl

south’s had to go to court to get it
Gold Coast (several times), Dragons, Knights, Cowboys, Sharks (several times)...

Iamback

Coach
they went because ARL imposed stupid travel payment costs on the Reds then at the 11th hour doubled down on that stupidity by adding a third grade for them to pay for.
The busines model was done on two grades and Reds board from the time have said they could have managed that. The adding of the third grade, at a cost of around $200k a year which was massive back in 1995, put them in a major hole. That’s what drove the Reds into news ltd arms. News ltd offered a massive sponsorship deal which solved Reds sudden money problems and the rest is history.

would they have been better to stay with ARL? Who knows. Hopefully the 25 year old mistake of cutting perth from the game will soon be put right like it has just been for the crushers being cut.

Travel isn't any cheaper today though hence same issues are there, So need to be better prepared now

mongoose

Coach
the world doesn't work that way. Just because mcdonalds opens 3 new stores in the same suburb doesn't mean it's going to wipe out KFC in that suburb....

Gobsmacked

Bench
they went because ARL imposed stupid travel payment costs on the Reds then at the 11th hour doubled down on that stupidity by adding a third grade for them to pay for.
The busines model was done on two grades and Reds board from the time have said they could have managed that. The adding of the third grade, at a cost of around $200k a year which was massive back in 1995, put them in a major hole. That’s what drove the Reds into news ltd arms. News ltd offered a massive sponsorship deal which solved Reds sudden money problems and the rest is history.

would they have been better to stay with ARL? Who knows. Hopefully the 25 year old mistake of cutting perth from the game will soon be put right like it has just been for the crushers being cut.
Crowds of 6k and 10 million in debt..
Some how I doubt anyone is thinking.. " mistake cutting Perth "

Colk

First Grade
It's not too much different. Top 8 cities by population:

1. Sydney - both
2. Melbourne - both
3. Brisbane - both
4. Perth - AFL only
5. Auckland - NRL only
6. Adelaide- AFL only
7. Gold Coast - both
8. Newcastle - NRL only

AFL make WA and SA sound impressive but in reality QLD have the same population as both states combined and NSW easily outstrips Victoria. RL heartlands are where the people are. Our administrators have typically been woeful at taking advantage of that fact, but hopefully that is beginning to change.

Good point. Newcastle is starting to dig a bit. It might be a prime market to chase in 20-25 years but it is not at the moment (btw not having a go at Newcastle just saying it is not a big place)

I was having a go at the idiot who has taken a break. He was suggesting that competitions can essentially afford to not have a presence in their biggest domestic markets and I challenged him to find an example - he couldn’t.

Iamback

Coach
It shouldn't be the role of a professional football club to develop grassroots, Its the role of the arlc via junior clubs and state leagues

The lack of Victorian juniors says everything about NRL Vic and its pitiful funding from the ARLC and nothing about the Melbourne Storm

Except every other club is doing it themselves, They are better positioned to know where the resources should go.

Them running an SG Ball and Flegg team will improve the standard of Victorians coming through the system

Iamback

Coach
Good point. Newcastle is starting to dig a bit. It might be a prime market to chase in 20-25 years but it is not at the moment (btw not having a go at Newcastle just saying it is not a big place)

I was having a go at the idiot who has taken a break. He was suggesting that competitions can essentially afford to not have a presence in their biggest domestic markets and I challenged him to find an example - he couldn’t.

The aim is to into the Pacific market so it isn't as though the plan is to stay still

Colk

First Grade
The aim is to into the Pacific market so it isn't as though the plan is to stay still

It’s an ambitious plan. I’ll give it that. As long as there are no NSW or Qld sides in the pipeline then I’m happy. We are in the position now to be ambitious or take a punt

Latest posts