What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

RL1908

Bench
Sub 10,000 crowds

Thanks for posting those numbers up Paul - very interesting to see the trends over 50 years.

I'm starting to lose count of the number of people (RL fans and non-fans alike) who want to tell me that crowds at NRL games are way below what they were in the 1970s and '80s, and that interest in the AFL is taking over in NSW & QLD.

It's all about perceptions & getting the message out into the minds of the masses (public). Homebush isn't helping. The biggest concern I have with the Olympic Stadium is when it draws a crowd of less than 25K, it still looks on TV as being sparsely populated.

While anything over 15K for any Sydney club game is historically a very good attendance number, it "sells" RL better if that 15K is packed into Leichhardt, Kogarah or Brookvale, rather than the same number (or even more) strung out across Homebush.

I mean, we as a sport, are saying to potential new fans "Hey, come and watch our game, its fantastic", yet, these potential new fans are seeing on their TVs grabs of action in front of thousands of empty seats, rather than a packed suburban ground.

If I was a potential new RL fan, I'd be asking myself why should I take up watching RL when it seems that no one in Sydney cares for the game?

I understand why clubs are playing at Homebush, and that the facilities for fans are better - but I just think that it is presenting a bad look for RL, sells the wrong message, and is having a detrimental effect on the "buzz" around the code itself.

I read somewhere of a new owner taking over a NFL franchise - he dropped the stadium prices to a ridiculously low $ to pack the joint every home game, building interest/buzz/demand - then he gradually over time began to increase the prices - obviously this strategy only works if you have a decent team, and it must costs money to cater for a larger crowd, but it got fans into the habit of going, created a buzz, then it created demand, which meant the prices could be increased.

The Green Bay Packers play every winter in cold, snow and ice, and are now up to over 250 sold out games in a row at Lambeau Field (capacity 72,000) - in a city with a population of 100K.

Sometimes I think that playing in front of 20K in an 80K stadium is far more damaging to the game than any media fallout caused by a misbehaving footballer.

Brutus

Referee
Remember when a Newcastle v Balmain game in the late 80's early 90's could attract 25-30,000.

I know the ground can't fit in over 30k crowds anymore, but I do recall 30k plus crowds for some big games. This was back when they were a boring side to watch.

What is the record home crowd for a Knights game? 33k or something?

camsmith

Juniors
I'm sure we're gonna hear every kind of excuse for this crowd, eg weather, interstate team playing so no travelling supporters, origin players out, an unusual amount of weddings/parties/anything in Sydney hence why people couldn't show up blah blah blah but no matter what spin you put on it, that crowd is nothing short of pathetic.

The Dragons team deserved better than that from their supporters and the game itself deserved better than that.

Yep.

They especially love that 'interstate team playing so no travelling supporters' line. Then they turn around and say how bad Storm crowds are. Err.. we NEVER get travelling supporters.

Or they blame the weather.. when half of our games are played in arctic conditions.

The fumbleballers got a few hundred less. That's after 8,000 free tickets were handed out too.

Link?

Dont know how NSWRL people actually think they can win the 'crowd' debate with AFL.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yep.

They especially love that 'interstate team playing so no travelling supporters' line. Then they turn around and say how bad Storm crowds are. Err.. we NEVER get travelling supporters.

Or they blame the weather.. when half of our games are played in arctic conditions.

I agree mate, it was a pathetic turn out. Very disappointing

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yep.

Or they blame the weather.. when half of our games are played in arctic conditions

Well said.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What a pair of truly woeful crowds. I can vouch for it being f*cking cold in Gosford tonight but Dragons fans... what's doing?
That's rich Timmah, I recall that you thought the move to Homebush was a good thing for Saints.

Here's the thread: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=184521

"Proximity is entirely the point." - Timmah

'What's doing' is that Dragons fans are voting with their feet when it comes to Homebush... it is clearly not grabbing the imagination as a home venue.

Personally I think the 6,000 St George supporters who made the trip deserve a massive wrap.

FTR, the 2008 stage of development on Kogarah has finally started, 10 rounds in. The ground was available and has been used by NSWRL teams in recent months.

Knight87

Juniors
So, Kogorah was available for the previous 9 rounds? They should've definitely have played their home game vs Cronulla there, giving more of a local derby feel.

But seriously, why would Dragons supporters who live in Dragons heartland (Wollongong and Southern Sydney) make the trip all the way west to Homebush? That's a pretty long trip.

Teddyboy

First Grade
St.George fans need to get real(thats if there are any fans around).
Iam sure Kogarah had a upgrade 2 years ago yet less fans turned up.When St.George left the SFS for a new Kogarah in the early 90's apart from the first virgin game of around 17000 the rest of games pulled in less the 10000.
Sydney Rugby League and ground upgrades don't go hand in hand.
f**k if Sydney Rugby League was Rugby Union then all the Union world would be thinking how great the crowds are.

Ice777

Bench
Nobody is knocking the 6000 odd that did make the trip and of course they should be commended. But it's the tens of thousands of others that didn't make the trip that i think people have the problem with.

The Preacher

First Grade
That's rich Timmah, I recall that you thought the move to Homebush was a good thing for Saints.

Here's the thread: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=184521

"Proximity is entirely the point." - Timmah

'What's doing' is that Dragons fans are voting with their feet when it comes to Homebush... it is clearly not grabbing the imagination as a home venue.

Personally I think the 6,000 St George supporters who made the trip deserve a massive wrap.

FTR, the 2008 stage of development on Kogarah has finally started, 10 rounds in. The ground was available and has been used by NSWRL teams in recent months.

The only reason I left the house to go to The Guesthouse was the fact that I took four kids out for a night at the footy. Otherwise it would've been pizza and tooheys in front of the tv. The place is a sh!thole to watch rugby league from.
On a humourous note, two women came up the stairs with tickets in hand looking for where their seats were located. I said to them, "sit where you like", and they replied "No, these are our seats here" So we moved the kids and even though they had 75,000 seats to pick from they sat next to for "runaround" kids, right in front of the Army. What then became obvious, was that these ladies had actually purchased tickets. :shock: :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So, Kogorah was available for the previous 9 rounds?
When I was there about a week ago some work has started on the southern seating area, or at least there seemed to be evidence of work going on. There was actually a game being played and a small crowd of people going through the turnstiles.
Knight87 said:
They should've definitely have played their home game vs Cronulla there, giving more of a local derby feel.
I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.