What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

yobbo84

Coach
beave said:
*sigh*

I just wish for once, a thread can NOT start into a Bunnies v Roosters slanging fest.

This is a thread about crowds, I'm commenting on the crowd on Friday. Get over it.

Titanic

First Grade
Just had a small squizz at AFL's ticket prices and NRL is competitive, so what is the problem - the general public is only vaguely interested in 100 years and even less interested in teams that they don't have any ownership of. Most people on this site share that feeling of ownership but it seems that we are not in the majority.

McCrud

Juniors
The Panthers crowds in Brisbane over the past couple of seasons have been comparatively sh*thouse, so to have an attendance of 31K is a good improvement on previous efforts. However I doubt Bruno Cullen would be happy with the turnout, I don't think he envisioned a crowd of 31,000 odd when he penciled in the Panthers for round one.

I agree with miccle, the Broncos should attempt to schedule poorer drawing teams for round one, the Cowboys game is going to sell well at anytime and the club should be trying to lift attendance averages. The tradition argument in respect to Broncos v Cowboys doesn't hold water IMO. I mean, whenever I think of the 'traditional' Cowboys v Broncos derby it's on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Suncorp, but nobody can bank on that outcome as chances are Channel Nine will pick up the match and shunt it to a Friday night timeslot and f**k the whole thing (like last year). When the characteristics of the 'traditional' derby are so strongly altered it loses a bit of what made it a tradition in the first place.

innsaneink

Referee
brendothejet said:
point fingers at the tigers fans. They were nowhere to be seen. It was all red and white.

shame the field didn't reflect that.

I was dissapopinted across the park with round 1.

Maybe we're getting a bit sick of being dicked around with a home game here, a home game there, another elsewhere, one somewhere else as well as our two traditional grounds.
That and the f**k up theyve created getting (or not getting- that should be) STHs what they paid for...the front office is amateur hour atm

c_eagle

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
Friday night was disappointing. The turnout of Roosters supporters was pathetic. Looked to be around the 5k mark (about 2-3 bays).
Why the hell are Souths vs Roosters playing at Telstra? Ffs, there's a beautiful stadium 5 minutes from both territories.

brendothejet said:
point fingers at the tigers fans. They were nowhere to be seen. It was all red and white.

shame the field didn't reflect that.

I was dissapopinted across the park with round 1.

You generally arrive at that conclusion when you sit amongst a group of your own supporters...

There were easily more Tigers fans there, mate.

St George have had a mediocre average home crowd over the past few years so you can't expect a mass of supporters to materalise at an away game just because its the opening round.

BTW I agree that it was a crappy crowd.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
beave, Friday night at ANZ the Souths fans outnumbered the Roosters AT LEAST 2 to 1.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Timmah said:
beave, Friday night at ANZ the Souths fans outnumbered the Roosters AT LEAST 2 to 1.

Well obviously. Roosters club themselves told people to watch it at their leagues club. They might wanna talk up the game a bit more next time.

fanatique

Juniors
I think we need a bit of perspective. Everyone, well almost everyone, ritually overpromotes potential corwds.

we have a game, a league which attracts an average of 15 to 16,000 per game. An average of 16,500 this year would be great. We would all love to be looking at massive crowds but they are a rarity. How many 30K plus crowds attend Sydney derbies? however some were predicting 40K plus for rabbits V Roos. NOT going to happen boys so accept the crowd is good by historical standards.

Of course once we get into the heart of the year and are looking at an average of 17K plus we will be hit by the Origin exhibitions which will fillet NRL crowds and push them back to 16K on average but I fight a one man war on that so I'll get no support.

Th1rteen

Juniors
Generally...

Is there any major difference in price for NRL and the AFL tickets?
What is the atmosphere like?
Is it family friendly?
Is the ground clean?
Are their updates of other NRL games, either loudspeaker or big screen?
Are there certain sections for families and the 'barmy army'!?
Is food cheap?
Is parking cheap?
Is it easy to park your car?
Are their buses to certain grounds?
Are matches promoted on radio/television/local paper?
Are free/reduced tickets given out to children playing rugby league for a club?
Can children afford a ticket with their weekly pocket money?
Are there junior matches/9s before the main event kicks off?
Do any grounds regularly get sell-outs?
Do the times of matches suit the fans or the television?
Do players recognise fans (clapping at end of match etc)?
How many matches are on Saturday afternoon (best time)?
Are fans that travel to away matches rewarded in anyway?
Is there enough replays, different angles of play on big screen?
Do you think having matches on Monday at 7:00pm is helpful to fans?
Some people can only make matches on Sat/Sun, is there point in buying a season ticket?
Do clubs know that they will be getting the same amount of money with 10,000 people paying $20 or 20,000 people paying $10?

Those are the questions you need to be asking. Get them looking good for your club and yer should be onto a winner. Many clubs can easily get 20,000 if they try a bit harder and raise the experience.

ozzie

Bench
yobbo84 said:
Friday night was disappointing. The turnout of Roosters supporters was pathetic. Looked to be around the 5k mark (about 2-3 bays).
did you include Bay 108 - it was packed with Rooster fans - great seats - right on the halfway line. I'd be more in the belief the crowd was 60/40 but there were certainly more than 5000. a worry for Souths should be that the Burrow was empty. I also saw a fair few flags Rooster flags over that side as well. Where were you sitting.

I don't mind of you had a ball park figure but you are well out. Everywhere there were people wearing the Red Blue and white. The Rooster fans were mingled through out the crowd as the bays allocated to us were in sh*t positions

Kaplan

Juniors
Although i admit i was disappointed with the crowds, i think our expectations are bigger these days cos we are playing too many games in these massive stadiums. As Fanatique stated, historically speaking we average about 16k, and that is not gonna change much. If the dogs v eels games was played at parra stadium, and the saints v tigers played at leichhardt, korgarah or WIN (i know kogarah is being redeveloped) the crowds would look good and the atmosphere woud be great, and we wouldnt be having this discussion to the extent we are now.

Timmah

Staff member
ozzie said:
where you there?
Yes I certainly was and I can tell you the Souths fans were there in more numbers. It's not a put-down to the Roosters - I can willingly concede there were more Eels at ANZ on Saturday myself.

t-ba

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Yes I certainly was and I can tell you the Souths fans were there in more numbers. It's not a put-down to the Roosters - I can willingly concede there were more Eels at ANZ on Saturday myself.

All the Dogs fans caught the late train out of Cronulla?

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: Wouldn't know - I drove and got there for gates.

ozzie

Bench
Timmah said:
I never said the Rooster crowd outnumbered the Souths supporters but by people saying we only had 5,000 they need their glasses fixed. there were supporters everywhere - but a bit of Souths biase in this and I also dispute a figure of 2/1 but they probably should have as it was their home game, the burrow was practically empty and there were a lot of empty bays all over the ground. You guess of the numbers is useless unless you counted them by your fingers and toes. I could say there where more Roosters then Souths but that is useless until I also did a head count

Slackboy72

Coach
I'll give my answers of differences between NRL and AFL as a comparison between the MCG and the SFS.

Is there any major difference in price for NRL and the AFL tickets? GA yesterday for SFS was $23 versus $19.70 for MCG. Big difference is that GA at MCG still gets you a good seat.
What is the atmosphere like? Much of a muchness between the two.
Is it family friendly? Judging by the number of families turning up I'd say yes in the bigger grounds. Smaller grounds where it's a sh!tfight, no.
Is the ground clean? SFS is grotty like the great southern stand at the MCG. The olympic stand at the MCG is the best I've been to. Very modern and clean.
Are their updates of other NRL games, either loudspeaker or big screen? Big screens and audio system at MCG miles ahead.
Are there certain sections for families and the 'barmy army'!? Supporter groups sort of arrange that themselves.
Is food cheap? Cheaper at the MCG but still overpriced.
Is parking cheap? $10-12 at the MCG, $15-$20 at Moore Park.
Is it easy to park your car? Yeah. I sort of learned how to do that before I got my licence.
Are their buses to certain grounds? Trams and trains to MCG. Very cheap too. IIRC you can't use your weekly or daily ticket for buses to SFS. Special event tickets only. Pretty piss poor if you ask me.
Are matches promoted on radio/television/local paper? Promotion not needed in Victoria due to a general low level hysteria regarding AFL. Promotion for round 1 not really comparable but NRLs promotion is pissweak considering they should be trying to get people to the game.
Are free/reduced tickets given out to children playing rugby league for a club? Don't know.
Can children afford a ticket with their weekly pocket money? Don't know
Are there junior matches/9s before the main event kicks off? AFL has kids come on at half time. Noone watches but the kids love it.
Do any grounds regularly get sell-outs? MCG rarely sells out but with average crowds well over 30,000 that's not really a problem. Except for the Titans match I can't recall the last time a regular season NRL match was sold out. (Titans v Dragons rd 1 2007? )
Do the times of matches suit the fans or the television? AFL is infinitely more friendly with fans. So many matches played at 2 in the afternoon.
Do players recognise fans (clapping at end of match etc)? Not really an issue.
How many matches are on Saturday afternoon (best time)? A lot for AFL. None for NRL.
Are fans that travel to away matches rewarded in anyway? Only with the hassle of trying to get from one side of Sydney to the other. AFL it's just a trip into the center of town and back.
Is there enough replays, different angles of play on big screen? Plenty for both codes.
Do you think having matches on Monday at 7:00pm is helpful to fans? Not at all. it is helpful to FoxTel though.
Some people can only make matches on Sat/Sun, is there point in buying a season ticket? Not a lot for either. For NRL you would only buy a season ticket to get a good reserved seat. For AFL you can get good seats with GA tickets.
Do clubs know that they will be getting the same amount of money with 10,000 people paying $20 or 20,000 people paying $10? I don't think NRL clubs know much to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts