What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Reyno can captain coach taafe + illias over the coming next 2 seasons once they both eventually make the top 30 squad hopefully by next year or the year after??.and take them under his wing before Adam does retire.reyno is going nowhere and I think adam could well play till benji's age?...i would not be surprised depends on his lower back + knees!!! Dean Hawkins is breathing down their necks too nice problem to have though.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
$2.8m waiting game in Brisbane’s way as D-Day nears for Souths star - Transfer Whispers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/fbee26db50bcb9ed40fe706f0a18179a
The article mentions Knight as one of the 're-signed players "on big money"

As I said, Souths need to move him now to free up cap space, before he gets any more head knocks and his value plummets. There's at least 3-4 clubs who could use improvement in their forward packs, but we are probably gonna have to pick up some of the tab.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

REYNOLDS DEAL COULD FORCE WALKER OUT

The Adam Reynolds contract situation at South Sydney is in part an issue of the club’s making because it bowed to fan power and re-signed favourite son Alex Johnston last year. Souths had budgeted for Johnston to be off their books and the money they’ve paid him could have been used to help keep Reynolds.

The Rabbitohs know signing Reynolds will make it hard for them to keep his halves partner, Cody Walker (pictured), who will be looking for a new deal come November. The club has already told this column it can’t keep Dane Gagai and Reynolds.

The Rabbitohs’ reluctance to re-sign Reynolds on a long-term deal has led many people to wonder if there is more to it. There is. The board and chairman Nick Pappas are making a statement that this is how Souths do business now that Shane Richardson is not at the club.

There is no question that ego is playing a role in the way the Reynolds situation is being handled. Pappas and Richardson fell out over the manner in which Sam Burgess was medically retired and paid out. The new regime is doing it their way to make a point. Souths are using John Sutton and his willingness to do a yearby-year deal as the new benchmark.

From the Daily Telegraph,

Dane Gagai set to follow Adam Reynolds out door at Rabbitohs

South Sydney’s salary cap struggles seem certain to push Adam Reynolds out — and now another star is set to join him.

First Adam Reynolds, now Dane Gagai.

South Sydney’s bulging salary cap seems certain to push Reynolds out and now The Daily Telegraph has been told State of Origin star Gagai is almost certain to leave Redfern after this season.

Gagai’s manager Steve Gillis, revealed his star client had held unsuccessful extension talks with Souths and is ready to throw himself on the open market.

“Dane will go to market,” Gillis confirmed. “And I would anticipate that unless Souths’ cap position improves then there’s a real chance he won’t be there. He understands that.

“In saying that, things can change but Dane is happy to engage in conversations with other clubs.

“Souths have explained to Dane that their cap position is tight and Dane has also had a conversation with Wayne (Bennett) as well. It’s not personal. Everything is cap-driven. Dane is playing great footy and is open-minded about his future.

“If you look across the board, there’s not many top-line, quality players on the market and I anticipate Dane is going to be in great demand from numerous clubs.

“The early rounds of the competition are also telling me that clubs are going to have to recruit and re-jig their rosters because there are some clubs that are paddling.”

Gun centre Kotoni Staggs has six clubs chasing him. Once Staggs can settle his future, probably by re-signing with Brisbane, then those clubs that miss out may direct their attention to Gagai.

“Once Staggs determines his future then I anticipate Dane will become the focus of great interest from clubs,” Gillis said. “Dane and Kotoni are by far the best centres on the market and we have teams that are struggling to score points.

“And Dane is a prolific, capable tryscorer. He’ll be popular.”

Gillis also manages Reynolds, who looks increasingly likely to end up with North Queensland Cowboys from next season.

Souths have not budged on offering their champion halfback a one-year deal, Reynolds wants three-years but would consider two-years.

Should the Rabbitohs continue to offer just the sole year, Reynolds would be forced to start negotiating with rival clubs.

Gillis will talk with Souths officials this week to try and determine Reynolds’ future.

“We will have conversations with Souths this week. I’ve got no idea (of the outcome) but we now have clubs expressing interest in Adam,” Gillis said.

“Obviously we are obliged to explore and engage in those conversations. Clubs will get more proactive regarding Adam if they have clarity as to whether or not he has any chance of staying.

“If he’s not staying, then I would anticipate that clubs would increase their interest and they would be more likely to table offers for consideration.

“No-one is putting pressure on anyone. Souths are running their business as they see fit, which is fine. But Adam has to look at what is best for him.

“Adam has made it pretty clear that he’s not prepared to accept a one-year deal. Once we know Souths’ position, things will unravel pretty quickly.”

And with Cody Walker off contract after next season and chasing a long-term deal, Souths’ window for premiership success may start to close in coming years.

Walker is actually a year older than Reynolds but will be seeking a two or three-year extension sometime next year.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

REYNOLDS DEAL COULD FORCE WALKER OUT

The Adam Reynolds contract situation at South Sydney is in part an issue of the club’s making because it bowed to fan power and re-signed favourite son Alex Johnston last year. Souths had budgeted for Johnston to be off their books and the money they’ve paid him could have been used to help keep Reynolds.

The Rabbitohs know signing Reynolds will make it hard for them to keep his halves partner, Cody Walker (pictured), who will be looking for a new deal come November. The club has already told this column it can’t keep Dane Gagai and Reynolds.

The Rabbitohs’ reluctance to re-sign Reynolds on a long-term deal has led many people to wonder if there is more to it. There is. The board and chairman Nick Pappas are making a statement that this is how Souths do business now that Shane Richardson is not at the club.

There is no question that ego is playing a role in the way the Reynolds situation is being handled. Pappas and Richardson fell out over the manner in which Sam Burgess was medically retired and paid out. The new regime is doing it their way to make a point. Souths are using John Sutton and his willingness to do a yearby-year deal as the new benchmark.

From the Daily Telegraph,

Dane Gagai set to follow Adam Reynolds out door at Rabbitohs

South Sydney’s salary cap struggles seem certain to push Adam Reynolds out — and now another star is set to join him.

First Adam Reynolds, now Dane Gagai.

South Sydney’s bulging salary cap seems certain to push Reynolds out and now The Daily Telegraph has been told State of Origin star Gagai is almost certain to leave Redfern after this season.

Gagai’s manager Steve Gillis, revealed his star client had held unsuccessful extension talks with Souths and is ready to throw himself on the open market.

“Dane will go to market,” Gillis confirmed. “And I would anticipate that unless Souths’ cap position improves then there’s a real chance he won’t be there. He understands that.

“In saying that, things can change but Dane is happy to engage in conversations with other clubs.

“Souths have explained to Dane that their cap position is tight and Dane has also had a conversation with Wayne (Bennett) as well. It’s not personal. Everything is cap-driven. Dane is playing great footy and is open-minded about his future.

“If you look across the board, there’s not many top-line, quality players on the market and I anticipate Dane is going to be in great demand from numerous clubs.

“The early rounds of the competition are also telling me that clubs are going to have to recruit and re-jig their rosters because there are some clubs that are paddling.”

Gun centre Kotoni Staggs has six clubs chasing him. Once Staggs can settle his future, probably by re-signing with Brisbane, then those clubs that miss out may direct their attention to Gagai.

“Once Staggs determines his future then I anticipate Dane will become the focus of great interest from clubs,” Gillis said. “Dane and Kotoni are by far the best centres on the market and we have teams that are struggling to score points.

“And Dane is a prolific, capable tryscorer. He’ll be popular.”

Gillis also manages Reynolds, who looks increasingly likely to end up with North Queensland Cowboys from next season.

Souths have not budged on offering their champion halfback a one-year deal, Reynolds wants three-years but would consider two-years.

Should the Rabbitohs continue to offer just the sole year, Reynolds would be forced to start negotiating with rival clubs.

Gillis will talk with Souths officials this week to try and determine Reynolds’ future.

“We will have conversations with Souths this week. I’ve got no idea (of the outcome) but we now have clubs expressing interest in Adam,” Gillis said.

“Obviously we are obliged to explore and engage in those conversations. Clubs will get more proactive regarding Adam if they have clarity as to whether or not he has any chance of staying.

“If he’s not staying, then I would anticipate that clubs would increase their interest and they would be more likely to table offers for consideration.

“No-one is putting pressure on anyone. Souths are running their business as they see fit, which is fine. But Adam has to look at what is best for him.

“Adam has made it pretty clear that he’s not prepared to accept a one-year deal. Once we know Souths’ position, things will unravel pretty quickly.”

And with Cody Walker off contract after next season and chasing a long-term deal, Souths’ window for premiership success may start to close in coming years.

Walker is actually a year older than Reynolds but will be seeking a two or three-year extension sometime next year.
So instead of only losing Reynolds we could lose 1/2 of our spine & our origin centre.
Crikey what a shambles

Dingo_dan

Juniors
There's no sugar coating it. The club has messed up in the whole Reynolds saga.

Even if we do sign him now, it's gonna be at a much higher rate than what we could have. It's also gonna give the club a bad reputation. If we can do this to a club legend than we can't be trusted.

I can't even get my head around the reasoning. They say it's because we got burnt in the past by the GI and Burgess long contracts. GI was just bad luck. But the club is entirely at fault for the sam Burgess one. He was clearly not the same player after Union, he was always a risk of injury with his playing style and all the crap of field the covered for they had to have known would cause problems.

The fact so many clubs are willing to offer big money multi year contacts at Reynolds should hopefully make our club management hang their heads in shame, realise their stupidity and learn them so humility.

In all of this I can't show Reynolds any bad will. I am 100% behind him. He has been a loyal servant for so long. It's always been rumoured his stayed on unders In the past. If the club had offered a reasonable contract I'd have some angst, but everything the club has done so far in these negotiations have been an insult.