What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin I - Wed 8 Jun - NSW 10-16 QLD @ Accor

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Queensland

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mongoose

Coach
Tonights thoughts:

QLD gave their best forwards good minutes and NSW didn't which could've been the difference.

Hass got good minutes but our other quality forwards like Murray or Yeo didn't get enough game time. Instead we we gave it to guys like Tariq and Martin (80mins FFS)

Martin is a good player in a quality system but cmon. Tariq had a good series last year but has been a middle-of-the-road backrower for a few yrs now at NRL level. How both players got more minutes than Murray and Yeo beats me.

Freddy with some absolute howler selections and calls as usual
yep agree with all this. Crichton on the bench is just dumb. Martin ain't an Origin player, he's just good at being offside and not square at marker all the time for the Panthers and therefore making quick tackles and surely NSW have someone better than Tariq Sims?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Great game.

Classic Origin 1 clash. Right down to the final tackle and the QLD resilience proved the difference. Huuuuge effort to beat them down there. The Blues will be lucky to avoid the 3-0 whitewash now. SUPER impressed with Carrigan and Cobbo. Both had amazing Origin debuts but especially Carrigan....**** me he turned the momentum as soon as he came on, and that inside grubber from Cobbo to Gagai......We have some quality, quality young blokes at the Broncs now. We in particular as a fanbase should be happy with that win.

Great start to Slater's career. He will be full of confidence now and with the strategy he brought to that game, especially being down two bench players for a long while and still holding firm, Freddy might wanna be worried.

3. Carrigan
2. Munster
1. Cotter

Hutty1986

Immortal
Anyone criticising teddy is deadset pulling their dick. One of our best tonight, and imo he stacks up against the best of all time for the state. Is he the tackle-breaking weapon he was at his peak? No, but with the talent in that nsw side he shouldn't have to try and carry the team on his back like Hayne used to when he was surrounded almost entirely by nuffies.

Cleary unfortunately reverted to type tonight - i thought after he got that ring, he would absolutely own this arena. But he was shocking, and there was no one there to pick up the slack.

Dropping the fox was a terrible call, Toops is slow, barely breaks a tackle and should never have been picked. NSW may be able to turn it around in Perth; let's be realistic here, they played about 30 minutes of semi-decent football tonight. But i think the series is cooked.

Last edited:

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
What about Preston and peachy ?
Preston? The bloke who played with us for a few seasons and then f**ked off to Penrith because Anderson wouldn't let him play halfback and then went to clubs were he was a five eighth/fullback? Give me a spell.

Peachey was my favourite player after ET retired and as good as he was wasn't in the same class as the four I mentioned.

Our greatest ever fullback though.

Last edited:

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Take off the Sharks blinkers mate. He was a cancer to every team he played in. The Sharks were lucky that they brought in some players who didn’t listen to him in 2016.

The other players you named are legends. Gallen isn’t fit to tie their bootlaces.
Are you high?

You're telling me to take the blinkers off when I think I'd know my own club better than you do.

If you get rid of your psychotic hatred for a minute you'd know alongside that Gal is alongside the four I mentioned among the club's greatest ever players.

The first Origin match I've ever missed. Highlights made NSW look toothless in attack. Stats show NSW outside backs doing a ton of work but the forwards numbers were low.

SBD82

Coach
Are you high?

You're telling me to take the blinkers off when I think I'd know my own club better than you do.

If you get rid of your psychotic hatred for a minute you'd know alongside that Gal is alongside the four I mentioned among the club's greatest ever players.
Mate you’re in a State of Origin thread trying to tell me that Gal is in the same league as ET, Miller and Sludge.

He’s the losingest loser that ever losed in Origin. And that includes his drug cheating era.

It’s embarrassing that he ever wore sky blue.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Mate you’re in a State of Origin thread trying to tell me that Gal is in the same league as ET, Miller and Sludge.

He’s the losingest loser that ever losed in Origin. And that includes his drug cheating era.

It’s embarrassing that he ever wore sky blue.
You're a good Labor supporter then.

That whole ASADA scandal was a political stunt by the ALP to take the heat off Juliar Gillard and her cronies over the Craig Thomson and Eddie Obeid scandals.

Where was that underworld involvement those wafflers Kate Lundy and that merkin Jason Clare were waffling on about?

If you read into it and not just the bs parroted by that late alcoholic Rebecca Wilson you'd know the whole thing was a Labor political witch hunt.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Uncertain why everyone is blaming Penrith for the loss? After all, most of our players came out of SOO I unscathed from injury and ready for the normal business of the season.

Oh dear, mission accomplished…

SBD82

Coach
You're a good Labor supporter then.

That whole ASADA scandal was a political stunt by the ALP to take the heat off Juliar Gillard and her cronies over the Craig Thomson and Eddie Obeid scandals.

Where was that underworld involvement those wafflers Kate Lundy and that merkin Jason Clare were waffling on about?

If you read into it and not just the bs parroted by that late alcoholic Rebecca Wilson you'd know the whole thing was a Labor political witch hunt.
f**k off to the 4C forum with your Sky News bullshit.

Gal was a shit Origin player. And he’s a confessed drug cheat.

Iamback

Coach
Tonights thoughts:

QLD gave their best forwards good minutes and NSW didn't which could've been the difference.

Hass got good minutes but our other quality forwards like Murray or Yeo didn't get enough game time. Instead we we gave it to guys like Tariq and Martin (80mins FFS)

Martin is a good player in a quality system but cmon. Tariq had a good series last year but has been a middle-of-the-road backrower for a few yrs now at NRL level. How both players got more minutes than Murray and Yeo beats me.

Freddy with some absolute howler selections and calls as usual

That is it for me. Murray and Yeo play 80 the result is different

Reflector

Juniors
- First and foremost, Ashley Klein is a gimp. That Qld forward pass he called typified his game. There were two more obvious forward passes in that set he already let go, then the marginal one is the one he pulls up. WTF? He didn't favour NSW or Qld in particular, just overall rubbish. Hopefully Sutton replaces him for the rest of the series.

- Speaking of rubbish calls: the bunker goes back to look at the Paulo try and (rightfully) chalks it off for obstruction, but Klein is cool with the DCE try when Paulo was clearly held back in the scrum and nobody in the bunker wants to look at it even once. Where's the consistency?

- Munster deserved MOM. Like several before him, he epitomised what happens when talent combines with effort. Holmes was next best with some real 1% efforts to help get his side home.

- On Munster, just 12 months ago he was rinsed as a fraud after Games 1 and 2. I remember back in the day JT getting canned if Qld lost a single game. Then there were people who canned Lockyer as a passenger just before Qld turned things around back in the mid 2000's. Now it's Cleary's turn. The one laughable consistency about Origin is how quickly people will claim a top player is a fraud/ past-it after one sub-standard game.

- A rocks and diamonds night from Gagai. Got brushed aside like a rag-doll for both NSW tries, but put on a great hit and was also in the right place to score Qld's opening try. Sums up his Origin career.

- You could see that tightening up their defensive efforts have been a priority for Qld during training, after leaking a record number of points last year.

- Wighton's selection was fully justified (arguably the best for NSW, along with Teddy), and Tupou did exactly what he was picked for. Freddy isn't perfect, but he's been vindicated with his selections more often than not and these were another two examples in his favour.

- Hopefully Latrell is back for Game 2. He is exactly the kind of impact player who could've won the game in the last 10 minutes tonight for NSW, and could've created something out of nothing long before that. NSW seemed to drop their heads a bit after that DCE try and it took them too long to pick themselves up and show the intensity they finished with.

- Cleary and Luai were on the back-foot (figuratively and literally) too often on the 4th and 5th tackles and it looked as if they were playing ad-lib football. Trying to make something out of nothing with too much sideways running with no apparent direction behind it. They're so much better running the ball through the middle and taking players with them for the offload if they can manage it.

- No surprise NSW looked so much more threatening in the last 15 minutes when they prioritised go-forward in attack rather than side-to-side. Need more of that and that same intensity for the coming games.

- Despite some of the comments I've seen, I'm quietly confident about NSW's chances this series (touch wood on the player availability front). During Qld's 8 year run they had series openers where they were outplayed by NSW teams with similar combinations of youth and enthusiasm Qld had tonight, and harsh scrutiny followed about the future of some of the Qld players. Qld would then come out in Game 2 with a much stronger performance and turn things around to draw and then win the series. NSW were several percentage points below their best as a squad tonight. If they fix that (and especially if an impact player like Latrell returns) I expect we'll see a much improved performance from the team the rest of this series.

Last edited: