What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin I - Wed 8 Jun - NSW 10-16 QLD @ Accor

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Queensland

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martielang

Bench
Look at these Panthers fans!

Six players from their club stunk up the joint (ok I'm being hard on Bizza), so their solution is to add another

Another? I’d have our whole squad in there if I could. They’re superior to the absolute rabble provided by the other clubs.

Valheru

Coach
He doesn't change what goes on inside him, but he has speed to exploit and that can change moments. Maybe that kick at the end of the first half that Holmes easily dealt with may have been more of a contest?

Holmes was the one who used his speed last night and he was a beast for Queensland.

NSW had no X-factor last night. Lost Mitchell & Turbo through injury, and the selector decided not to pick another. Freddy went back back to the Daley years of containing rather than threatening.
That one play is the one incident in the game where I agree JAC could have made things more interesting but I still think Holmes had it covered.

Tupou and JAC clearly have different strengths and weaknesses so if you believe the strengths of JAC are what NSW needs then I see logic in that. Having said that, I think Tupou did the things he got picked for very well so I don't believe you can say he played poorly. To'o had a very similar stat line and no one is calling his performance in to question.

big hit!

Bench
He’ll go down as one of the great big game players. Can go quiet during the regular season but more often than not he’s on a different level when it comes to the biggest stage (2018 GF aside)

He is definitely Wally Lewis-like. A bigger half that had similar natural athletic gifts and winning mentality when it mattered.

big hit!

Bench
That one play is the one incident in the game where I agree JAC could have made things more interesting but I still think Holmes had it covered.

Tupou and JAC clearly have different strengths and weaknesses so if you believe the strengths of JAC are what NSW needs then I see logic in that. Having said that, I think Tupou did the things he got picked for very well so I don't believe you can say he played poorly. To'o had a very similar stat line and no one is calling his performance in to question.

Tupou didn't do much wrong. And that's probably why he was picked. JAC is more inconsistent. But he has the ability to turn the game with his strengths more than Tupou does IMO.

Reflector

Juniors
I lasted the entire game at work without any spoilers, then with 5 minutes left of my shift a family of Blues supporters walks in looking like someone had killed their dog. I guess they saved me from getting angry at the TV for 2 hours and I got to miss what these shit merkins done to cause that family so much disappointment.
Funny how this happens more often than not. I can't remember the last time QLD lost when they were favourites.
I reckon we'll win in Perth then get gaped in the decider, again. Really needed to win this one but as usual selection politics plays its part and we don't put onto the field the best 17 available. We won't get another chance for 2 years to win a series.
2018?

GongPanther

Referee
Anyone criticising teddy is deadset pulling their dick. One of our best tonight, and imo he stacks up against the best of all time for the state. Is he the tackle-breaking weapon he was at his peak? No, but with the talent in that nsw side he shouldn't have to try and carry the team on his back like Hayne used to when he was surrounded almost entirely by nuffies.

Cleary unfortunately reverted to type tonight - i thought after he got that ring, he would absolutely own this arena. But he was shocking, and there was no one there to pick up the slack.

Dropping the fox was a terrible call, Toops is slow, barely breaks a tackle and should never have been picked. NSW may be able to turn it around in Perth; let's be realistic here, they played about 30 minutes of semi-decent football tonight. But i think the series is cooked.
Too many ppl in Freddy's ear. If they pick Cleary, Luai, Crichton and To'o in the same side, they have to throw in Api for the combos.

But in saying that, I don't see Freddy changing a side that lost by only the one try, although the NSW play the ball speed was much slower so Freddy has his problem with that aspect of play.

For what it was worth, it was a highly entertaining match which makes for quite a series. A couple of contentious forward pass calls from Klein which didn't help the Blues, and the usual jammy try from the Qlders made the difference, and with Yeo going close to the line in the dying stages, this could have gone either way.

Bring on game 2.

mozza91

Coach
Nathan Cleary is just Mitchell Pearce with more luck. What a f**king dud showing from the media’s best player in the game.

got heavy 2011 origin vibes out of last night when NSW got similarly trounced after thinking just picking the dragons team would guarantee victory.

lastly, who the f**k is Martin? Haven’t seen a bigger hack get thrown a rep jersey like that just because of who he plays for since Steve Simpson
I think you’re confusing Steve Simpson with Luke Ricketson.

GongPanther

Referee
Uncertain why everyone is blaming Penrith for the loss? After all, most of our players came out of SOO I unscathed from injury and ready for the normal business of the season.

Oh dear, mission accomplished…
In fact, I hope all the Penrith players played their way out of SOO II.🤣

Eelectrica

Referee
I was mostly happy we got a good game. Lots of scramble from both sides and near misses. A real rollercoaster of a game.
Result never seemed certain until the ref called time.

Reflector

Juniors
Fittler can't coach. Barefoot f**kery only works when the other team is worse.
Bennett can't coach. Being a father figure to the players only works when the other team is worse.

Gus can't coach. Stirring motivational speeches only works when the other team is worse.

Mal can't coach. Qlder passion only works when the other team is worse.

Etc etc.

*Edit* I mean to say, at Origin level you don't need to be technically exceptional as a coach (as proven by Bellamy's 3 year grub-fest or the planets aligning for Fatty in '95). What matters most is picking players who've demonstrated they can do the job required and then getting the squad mentally prepared to stand the best chance at doing the job required.

I don't get why we are so focused on the back five. I guess it's because of the controversy around jac not being picked. The nsw back 5 was good outside of staggs who didn't do much.

There is certainly an argument about jac and Mitchell because we looked rubbish in attack. Latrell in particular should be picked if possible because what nsw dished up in attack was woeful but I don't feel thats really on the back 5..

Nsw really did remind me of Canberra in attack. I will give the halves a bit of a break because the forwards got wrecked and the service from Cook was f**king atrocious. They still didn't do much even with this taken into account.

So yeah lots to think about for nsw
They reminded me of Penrith in attack except shitter

Latest posts