What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King-Gutho94

Coach

I know it's probably just one of those "you're on our radar" squad selections like last year with Graham, Koloamatangi and that guy going to Rugby... but still, a kick in the balls for Cook
Why its a development selection to learn about origin camp.

Cook would understand if Api goes down he would get the gig not brailey.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Love Reece Walsh but I don't think he is quite ready for this level yet . Hope he proves me wrong.

Hammer in the centres is also a concern.

Not very confident in a win.

Reflector

Juniors
Walsh is an interesting one by QLD. Unproven at origin level and a small body compared to Ponga.

Ponga is the reverse Pearce, shit at club level, epic at origin. QLD don't normally make these types of changes
Ponga has had a total of two stand out games for Qld: his first one and his last one. Like Gagai’s supposed Origin prowess, it has more to do with the jersey he wears and The Narrative (TM) than a deeper breakdown of their Origin careers to date on a per game basis...

Reflector

Juniors
Believe me, it has never, ever gone unnoticed by viewers across the spectrum. Don't ever expect a 3-0 drubbing ever again. Does not do wonders for the ratings when the 3rd game has a 2-0 scoreline heading into the final game. BTW, Gus hates me.
* Team A is comfortably ahead of Team B and (based on your standard NRL game) look set to win the match

* Team B gets a bunch of penalties for infringements that haven’t been punished in the NRL all season, let alone all Origin series. Tea, B gets these penalties right when they are “out on their feet” (TM, Gould) and from the penalties they score points

* Team B somehow manages to win in the dying minutes/ a match that was over becomes a tight contest right to the end

* The commentators reflect on how often we see this happen, because Origin is different (TM, NRL, Ch.9) and special (TM, NRL, Ch.9)

* After losing, Blues fans demand the coach is sacked and berate any spine player who played a less than a perfect 10 game/ After losing, Maroons fans claim half the team should never play Origin again and the NRL rigged the game against them

Sound familiar?

Pumpkin

Juniors
I think they've gotten both teams right for once. Api is more well rounded than Cook and Gagai can't churn out rubbish and suddenly decide to play well in origin once a year. Who does he think he is? Santa Clause? He only turns up once a year.

mxlegend99

Referee

I know it's probably just one of those "you're on our radar" squad selections like last year with Graham, Koloamatangi and that guy going to Rugby... but still, a kick in the balls for Cook
Cook will be the one to replace Api if anything happens before next Wednesday. Fittler and Cook have already spoken about that... fittler was asked about the calls he had to make.

Cook won't be available to train with the squad. He's with Souths and has a game this weekend. So it makes sense that they've picked someone who is available for training purposes due to having the bye. No way he would actually play though if Api went down. Cook comes in and instantly has a club connection with Murray and Mitchell. Aswell as having played in this spine before. He could come in on game day and do a job

Valheru

Coach
Cook will be the one to replace Api if anything happens before next Wednesday. Fittler and Cook have already spoken about that... fittler was asked about the calls he had to make.

Cook won't be available to train with the squad. He's with Souths and has a game this weekend. So it makes sense that they've picked someone who is available for training purposes due to having the bye. No way he would actually play though if Api went down. Cook comes in and instantly has a club connection with Murray and Mitchell. Aswell as having played in this spine before. He could come in on game day and do a job

Would he actually be allowed to play in that scenario if he played for souths on the weekend?

big hit!

Bench

Yet if Cook was taken by Freddy to be an 'add-on', the club and fans would be up in arms about him not being able to play for Souths this weekend.

Don't ever change footy fans. Just need a whinge for the sake of it.

These squad players outside the playing 17 come from clubs who have a bye in the lead-up to the origin game. Surprise, Surprise!!! Panthers (Crichton), Tigers (Stefano) and Sharks (Brailey) have a bye this weekend!!!!

soc123_au

Staff member
Would he actually be allowed to play in that scenario if he played for souths on the weekend?
Can't see why not, it's not like he was selected then went back to play for his club. If say Turbo fell over pre game and CG got called in after playing for Souffs it would be a bit more problematic.

big hit!

Bench
I think they've gotten both teams right for once. Api is more well rounded than Cook and Gagai can't churn out rubbish and suddenly decide to play well in origin once a year. Who does he think he is? Santa Clause? He only turns up once a year.

What about Holmes getting monstered by To'a on the weekend?

I think Gagai had the runs on the board to get selected. Has never really disappointed in an origin game. Ballsy move by Slater. Could say it goes against the QLD ethos in a way.

I'm not disputing HTF is the better player week-to-week. He is. Slater thinks Gagai's time is up and HTF will take the banton and go on with it even better than Dane can right now. HTF needs to for drums not to beat next Wednesday night if it goes pair-shaped.

yobbo84

First Grade
Yet if Cook was taken by Freddy to be an 'add-on', the club and fans would be up in arms about him not being able to play for Souths this weekend.

These squad players outside the playing 17 come from clubs who have a bye in the lead-up to the origin game. Surprise, Surprise!!! Panthers (Crichton), Tigers (Stefano) and Sharks (Brailey) have a bye this weekend!!!!
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

mongoose

Coach
that QLD back five would be making me very nervous... as a QLD supporter

NSW look strong, Pangai jnr is a head scratcher though - he's played like 4 good games his whole career.

BranVan3000

Coach

Pretty sure 19th plus squad members can play club footy

No point in that for Cook though. He's been there 5 years, no need for him to hang around.