What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th and final ASHES TEST: England v Australia at the Oval, Aug 20-24

eddiesmith

Juniors
That was shocking by North, he didnt even realise his foot was outside the crease untill the bails were removed :lol:

Timbo

Staff member
I think it's time to go Ponting, Hughes, Cox, Hilditch, Boon and Nielsen.

Who will be held accountable? Nobody. As per usual there will be a raft of excuses and we'll absolutely rape Pakistan and the West Indies at home this summer and they'll come out and say 'SEE!! WE TOLD YOU EVERYTHING WAS FINE!!'.

Matt23

Staff member
...as for excuses, the only things i can come up with was some overly helpful umpiring in England's favour, Ponting, Fat Merv, Nuffy Cox, Andrew "the happy hooker" Hilditch, Boon & "Hages" Nielsen :arrow:

IanG

Coach
...as for excuses, the only things i can come up with was some overly helpful umpiring in England's favour, Ponting, Fat Merv, Nuffy Cox, Andrew "the happy hooker" Hilditch, Boon & "Hages" Nielsen :arrow:
Hilditch (Nuffy would never have played in an Australian golden era)
Cox (Never even played for Australia shouldn't even be there)
Umpiring. (Rudi was shocking and Billy didn't do his trans tasman cousins any favours so they can get that idea out of their heads)

In Affectionate Remembrance
of
AUSTRALIAN CRICKET,
which died at the Oval
on
23rd AUGUST, 2009,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and acquaintances
----
R.I.P.

NB - Heads must roll over this

El Diablo

Post Whore

rain cost us the first test when a whole session was lost

The Colonel

Immortal
rain cost us the first test when a whole session was lost

What cost us what continually backing Johnson who was clearly out of form, bowling the spinners when chasing the last wicket in the First Test and the confusing continual selection of a middle order player way down on runs despite dropping Hughes after a couple of failures.

Tactically speaking Ponting is one of the worst captains to have ever been given the opportunity to take the reins for Australia.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would say backing Johnson and Hussey early has cost us.

Unfortunatley Hussy probably did enough to keep his spot despite doing nothing in the first 4 tests and the first innings of this test, sort of like Hayden in the last ashes series.

We need a revamp, starting with the selectors, we also need to look further than Hauri for our spinning options, the guy cant even get a game for NSW yet these idiot selectors still stick with him.

In conclusion, I thought we had a team good enough to win the ashes, we just couldn't get the selection right.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That would have to be the most topsy turvy series ever. You hammered us the 1st test, we were all over you the 2nd and 3rd Tests, you annihilated us the 4th Test and we raped you in the 5th Test.

Crazy stuff. But great to watch as Test cricket again proved that its the only form of the game that matters.

If the rest of the world wants to play that 20-20 sh*t then f**k em, we'll just play an Ashes series every year.

Fein

First Grade
That would have to be the most topsy turvy series ever. You hammered us the 1st test, we were all over you the 2nd and 3rd Tests, you annihilated us the 4th Test and we raped you in the 5th Test.

Crazy stuff. But great to watch as Test cricket again proved that its the only form of the game that matters.

If the rest of the world wants to play that 20-20 sh*t then f**k em, we'll just play an Ashes series every year.

Well said and totally agree.

Congratulations England, ya pommie bastards!!!!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Selection ruined this test match. I still maintain that if Nathan Huritz plays, we almost win this match. Clark was a spastic in this test, could not bowl and his batting was deplorable!

Red Bear

Referee
Hilditch (Nuffy would never have played in an Australian golden era)
Cox (Never even played for Australia shouldn't even be there)
Umpiring. (Rudi was shocking and Billy didn't do his trans tasman cousins any favours so they can get that idea out of their heads)

In Affectionate Remembrance
of
AUSTRALIAN CRICKET,
which died at the Oval
on
23rd AUGUST, 2009,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and acquaintances
----
R.I.P.

NB - Heads must roll over this
Fortunately we are going to cremate andrew hilditch for OUR ashes

Ridders

Coach
Great knock by Hussey, pity he f**kING RAN PONTING OUT. And of Flintoff of all people. Sure the guy is slow in the field and takes time to move around by why would you test his arm, which is like a rocket. That Ponting run-out was one of the moments painful sporting moments i've had in a while. Couldn't watch after it, knew we were done.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think it was Tommy Smith or JJ that said after the first couple of tests these two sides are average test nations and that anyone can win this series. How right that was, In this instance it was England.

England had the balls to drop Bopara for this test, when they could easily have persisted with him. It paid huge dividends.

Congratulations on Freddy going out a winner and a great career for the poms.

Though we lost the ashes, give me test cricket any day of the week played between two sides that actually want to play it and steeped in tradition

oh well, maybe we can turn things around in the one dayers? :sarcasm:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There is not much between the 2 sides, but our captain and selectors we're a massive negative. And England won the big moments, when it mattered they played the better cricket. Well done to them, we have 18 months to try and get the ashes back. A new coach and selectors would be a good start, shame no one is putting their hand up to replace the captain.

Last edited:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Congrats England. Too good. Well played. Andrew Strauss is a deserving player of the series, well done sir. Matt Prior wouldn't be too far behind either.