What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player/s past or present that you thought deserved more wraps

Ant

Juniors
I was just thinking of some player that I rated extremely highly, yet I didn't feel got the appropriate media/fan attention.

Is there anyone you thought was awesome, but others didn't rate so highly.

PARANoIR

Bench
Yeah, I'd agree with Matt Parsons. He was a good player.

Rod Silva is another one, that got very little notice for the work he did.

Ant

Juniors
Now I get to kick it off.

Paul 'Mary" McGregor, I personally thought he was just about the best centre of his era, yet his name is rarely mentioned with the likes of Meninga, Renouf and ET etc. Now I am not trying to say any of the names were poor players quite the opposite, just in my view Mary's name desveres to be mentioned in the same breath. I just felt he had it all, especially as an attacking player, a great step, flick pass the rod wishart lived off, and good speed, something people always felt he didn't have. I watched him give renouf a head start and run him down easy. He was a very good defender. Steve Renouf always nominated him as his toughest opponent, and a reason renouf didn't have a huge impact in origin was Mary played all over him.
Just my view.

azza

Juniors
Jason Croker during the mid 90's - even given who we was playing with, he really was outstanding in those years.

Ant

Juniors
Current players, probably Schifcofske.
Fullbacks get so much airplay, and there are so many of them around, but I don't think are more valuable to their club than Schifcofske is to Canberra. Its probably just that he lacks the blistering speed of a wesser, slater or minichello. Or that he plays for a club that has had little success.
But I personally think he is a fantastic player, and I think he wouldn't be out of place in either a QLD or Australian side. I certainly wouldn't be worried about him letting me down.
Great skills, an incredible ability to break the first tackle. Also this may sound strange but go with me, I think he must be one of the quickest players in the comp over the first 5 metres. When he breaks tackles he just seems to be able to zoom off, now he can't run the length of field usually, but very talented.
Very good player, unlucky to be in an era where fullback would definitely be the position with the overall most talent in the NRL. Every club has a fullback who is a danger.

strewth_mate

Bench
Not wanting to give a Newcastle bias to this thread, but I rate someone like Steve Simpson very highly, one of those players that is able to play consistently well in a team with form that can be all over the place. He doesn't look like much, but he can really rattle someone who runs into him, and what he does isn't necessarily brilliant, but he seems to be able to do it consistently at a higher level than most others on the field. A classy forward with a good sense of what to do and where to be at the right time, rarely fails, and is rarely noticed.

And it might be worthy of some flak, but I usually enjoyed watching the efforts of Buettner, Furner, Hetherington and Darren Smith. Don't ask me why though.

McLovin

Staff member
David Peachey. He dead set wasn't selected for anything (ok, a few rep games) yet was definately one of the best fullbacks of his time...

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Matthew Ridge, IMO one of the best technical fullbacks ever.
He could tackle, kick goals, score tries and set up tries. He was as safe as a Bank.

Presently I think Wade Mckinnon is an awesome fullback, he must make at least a few line breaks a game.
But i must be missing something because a lot of Eels fans rate Joel Reddy higher then him.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Past: Colin Van der Voort - tireless panther lock in late 80's, early 90's

Present: Steve Bell - How he hasn't represented QLD yet I don't know. Probably coz he was out of sight out of mind in Melbourne.