What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player/s past or present that you thought deserved more wraps

brook

First Grade
TV Ted Ellery said:
Mark Stimson was also a gun until he lost his toes and had his career abruptly ended by cheap shot merchant Alex Chan...his missing toes didn't help him either!

Stimmo had probably the most faultless tackling style I've seen - I still maintain that losing him in 2000 was as big a blow to our chances as losing crackers the week before (if not more, we were winning for much of the early season without crackers),

Shane Walker (the prop not the useless one) was another underrated workhorse forward - all heart.

I agree with Wade McKinnon. I doub't he'll ever play at Origin Level but he is a great #1, prob the most under-rated player at the moment. Another current player that comes to mind is Paul Stringer (although his hands have let him down of late).

As far as players of the past,

David Peachey (got wrap's but never to the level he deserved)
Craig Innes
Kevin Hardwick
Mick Neil
Troy Stone
David Solomona
Jeff Hardy

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Justin Dooley.
Harvey Howard.
Andrew Leeds.
And a bloke with the last name of Bell who played for the magpies in the 90's. He was a centre from memory. Dooley had the worst pair of hands ever seen on a player, but when he caught the ball he made good metres.

I saw a fair bit of the pies as my stepdad was a big magpie supporter. Players who wearn't superstars but were very good players in a bad side.
We had Mark Bell on the wing,and Paul Bell in the centres at different times in the early ninety's,both good players.
Andrew Leeds very underated,one more yard of pace and Leeds could have been anything,positionly better than nearly every fullback I have seen play the game.
Today I think Shifcofski,Dallas Johnson and Aaron Payne are very underated,from the past,definately Hastings,Folkes and Ivan Cleary.

dubby

Bench
Les Davidson. Should have played more rep footy.
Phil Blake, unluckiest player to never play for Aust.

Of the lesser knowns, Rod Maybon and Riolo are worth a mention. So is Neil Piccinelli and Ian Russell. Brent Todd.

Moffo

Referee
And Lincoln Withers deserves more raps....hard hitting defender for a small guy

the_eel

Juniors
of the current players i would say gallen and mckinnon are the most underrated and of previous times i would say Neil Hunt. He was a good player that never got the wraps in a star studded backline.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Definetely agree with Shane Rodney.

Andrew Leeds was a great fullback never forget the day he kicked a goal from half way after the siren (against the Tigers maybe???) to win Penrith the game.

Colin Vandervoort. An unsung hero of the late 80's/early 90's Panthers side but only injury stopped him representing australia. The bloke fair dinkum must have hated the SFS every time he stepped onto that ground he came off with an injury.

And just on Greg Alexander he certainly got plenty of wraps and I don't think was the kind of player that we intended to be part of this thread. Having said that for all the wraps he did get properly should have got more. For all his skill spent most of his career in the shadow of player like Langer and Stuart.

Otis Gibson

pahproecbleicester-croppedotisgibsoncrop-1572.jpg

Was discarded too early and made a scapegoat for West Indies deplorable loss to kenya in the the 1996 world cup. Also played a part is the resurgence of the Leeward Islands in the Busta Rhymes Cup in 1998. It is karma that the West Indies have endured such a miserable while Oatmeal churns out the biscuits in the county scene.

Also had a stint in South Africa's domestic comp I believe.