What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Blood - The Real Rivalries

Rammo

Juniors
OVP said:
The only failure was 2004. We should have towelled you. But we totally choked ... i dont have any problem admitting that. 2003 ... Penrith DESERVED to win, they were too good. You werent, we choked.

That's bs.

We were the better team in the second half, you didn't choke, our defence was just too good.

But whatever helps you sleep at night, reality is, we won, you lost :D

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Originally Posted by nqboy
MIght I put in the Cowboys v Broncos. Guess it doesn't mean much to you southerners, but it's big up here.

dodge said:
I knew I'd forgotten a big one.

I would disagree.

Broncos supporters want the Cowboys to win if they are not in it.
Cowboys supporters want the Broncos to win if they are not in it.

I always want Manly to lose, no matter who they play.

I do not share the hate for the dragqueens other Sharks do, I still hate Manly above all else.

JW

Coach
I agree Angry.

Sure on the day that we play the Cowboys there's a healthy rivalry, but at least from a Broncos point-of-view, I wouldn't say there is any real hate there. You'll probably find that an overwhelming majority of Broncos supporters see the Cowboys as their 'second team' and would happily cheer them on in games not involving Brisbane.

But Cowboys vs Broncos games are still big occasions nonetheless, especially in Townsville.

nqboy

First Grade
That's true. It's basically a big brother or country cousin thing, not a genuine hatred.

Evergreen

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Oh is this about fans?

Personally I have nothing against Canberra fans. Its hard to hate people you finished 13 places in front of.

I know what you mean. We've all grown tired after fifteen years of discussing our dominance over you.

choc_soldier

Coach
Penrith v Parramatta (the western derby - always physical clashes)

Penrith v Roosters (we always lift against them, no matter how bad we're travelling)

aids

Bench
does anyone think a new rivalry was born after the GF?
Tigers vs. Cowboys?

the tigers / raiders one is dead and buried when we beat you at bruce this year.
that was a good day for football.

nqboy

First Grade
Na. What would be the basis of it? A tremendously entertaining game in which the better team won?

Smartman

Juniors
Parramatta / Heimlich manouvre
icon6.gif

tiger_nick

Bench
Evergreen said:
I know what you mean. We've all grown tired after fifteen years of discussing our dominance over you.

The Wests Tigers are a more successfull club then Canberra whichever way you look at it. In six years we've won a comp. It took you guys eight years to win one and in 23 years you've only won three. That equates to 1 comp = 7.6 years as opposed to our strike rate of 1 every 6 years (only bettered by South Sydney and Brisbane).

We have also never won a wooden spoon, something which you can not claim.

Go back to the Raiders forum where you can discuss how Todd Carney is a better player then Benji Marshall

Special K

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
Dragons and Eels // Chewing before they swallow

:lol: well done.

Sharks Vs Dragons and Dogs Vs Eels are the biggest ones going around these days. All of those guys go at each other every day every year. The calls they all use in their wars got unfunny years ago and now its just hatred between the two parties in both fueds.

Older Sharks fans have a stronger hate for Manly but after 78. I don't think Manly like us to much after the flogging we gave them this year at shark park and them not winning at shark park since like 86(?).

I used to love Norths Vs Manly back in the day also. I'd love to see the CC Bears back so they could fued with Manly geez it would be massive. A CC team would also develop a rivalry with the Knights similar to the broncos and cowboys.

Rivalry in rugby league is awesome!

innsaneink

Referee
aids said:
does anyone think a new rivalry was born after the GF?
Tigers vs. Cowboys?

nqboy said:
Na. What would be the basis of it? A tremendously entertaining game in which the better team won?

Basis?

A team that thoroughly owns yours come semis time? ;-)

I think now, Wests Tigers-Cowboys games will ALWAYS have a little something extra, you may not think so right at this moment, but Im sure the next GF replay will be a torrid, well fought affair.
Cant wait personally.:thumb

There's a subtle difference between hatred & rivalry.

As far as hatred is concerned, teams that were hated/despised changed from
Manly in the 80's, followed by Brisbane. Manly had a resurgence mid 90's, but since then have fallen back with lack of success.

Canterbury & the Roosters have since raised the Ire of many a league fan, and (along with the ever-present Broncos) taken the mantle of the despised teams in the competition. But you can't say that all teams would have a rivalry with the Bulldogs/Roosters.

Rivalry isn't general like hatred and they don't always go hand-in-hand. It usually stems from a history of bitterness, jealousy, intense competition, amongst others. But most of all its the local rivalry that is biggest of all.

Of the rivalries in League, the biggest one is NSW vs QLD. At Club level...

Dragons vs Sharks
Roosters vs Rabbitohs
Eels vs Panthers

would have to be the biggest three - local rivals.

Others I know of include

Sea Eagles vs Knights (from the 97 GF. Manly fans I know - and I know plenty - hate the knights with a passion - stemming from positive drug tests by the knights the following season)

Manly v Parra - obviously from the 80's

Manly vs Cronulla - from the 70's

Dragons vs Broncos - from the Early 90's

Dragons vs Rabbitohs

Dogs vs Eels

Dogs vs Dragons

and in years gone by, the biggest of them all had to be the Fibro's vs the Silvertails - Wests and Manly. This was Hatred & Rivalry at its most intense. Players, Coaches, Fans, they all detested each other. Some of the stuff that went on in these games of the 70's, 80's was incredible.

tiger_nick

Bench
innsaneink said:
Basis?

A team that thoroughly owns yours come semis time? ;-)

I think now, Wests Tigers-Cowboys games will ALWAYS have a little something extra, you may not think so right at this moment, but Im sure the next GF replay will be a torrid, well fought affair.
Cant wait personally.:thumb

Ink's right. Pretty much any teams that meet in a Grand Final will have fierce clashes for at least the next 5 years or while the playing rosters are much the same.

innsaneink

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
and in years gone by, the biggest of them all had to be the Fibro's vs the Silvertails - Wests and Manly. This was Hatred & Rivalry at its most intense. Players, Coaches, Fans, they all detested each other. Some of the stuff that went on in these games of the 70's, 80's was incredible.

Was brought up on footy during this period.....was a great time to be a teenager.

Sometimes at games when I get right into it and I get a little colourful and animated, its like I'm transported back to those times, when I come back to the present there are always a few concerned patrons nearby giving me a bit more room....f**kin great!:lol:

Latest posts