What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Where is the evidence and by evidence I mean witness reports video recordings anything that proves that Teo actually did assault this woman and she's not just trying to get some quick cash and why did it take so long to get out surely the police should've arrested him by now.

Just when the Rabbitohs are going well this happens and if they were found to be hiding it they should be fined and stripped of all points for this year this is worse then the storm being found guilty of being over the salary cap.

As someone else says hopefully there are charges laid purely to find out what happened otherwise this will be s murky 'he said, she said' saga dragging the game through the mud.

You hope charges are laid just so we can find out what happened ?! Are you for real?

If that happened in every case the criminal justice system would grind to a halt.

Ben T'eo should be treated no differently than every other punter. Innocent until proven guilty.

There is nothing more for us to know than that.

Shorty

Staff member
Someone gets on twitter and says she's bad news and people believe that shit without any evidence :lol:

She might be bad news but what are you basing your opinion off? Just looking for a reason not to believe her that's all.

As someone else says hopefully there are charges laid purely to find out what happened otherwise this will be s murky 'he said, she said' saga dragging the game through the mud.
Yeah you have to laugh at that.

This whole 'Oh I suspect she's made it up' is what comes out of fans mouths, it doesn't matter what the media does, it's job is to report news.
The fact that fans, more often than not, have a suspicion (on the alleged victim) the moment something like this comes out is, as I said, disturbing.

This whole 'Oh I suspect she's made it up' is what comes out of fans mouths, it doesn't matter what the media does, it's job is to report news.
The fact that fans, more often than not, have a suspicion (on the alleged victim) the moment something like this comes out is, as I said, disturbing.

It doesn't help her cause when she says she was hit repeatedly , but the photographic evidence doesn't back that up.

Also going to the media without making a formal complaint to the police might put a few people offside as well.

God-King Dean

Immortal
You can't blame them for being sceptical, Shorty.

Women don't have a soul, therefore telling a lie means nothing to them.

betcats

Referee
Why? We don't know anything about that situation. All we have is that the police thought that there was enough evidence to charge his mate, and that the courts thought there was sufficient evidence to throw him in jail. Oh and Lynn's opinion that his mate did nothing wrong. We don't know if Lynn was present at the time of the alleged crime, or if he is just taking his mate's version of events (everyone in jail is innocent, just ask them). His tweet means nothing in this situation until we find out more information on those events.

Maybe my opinion hasn't changed as I still think Teo hit her but I have a lot of doubt over her side of the story now. Either way not good for Teo but if she is a loony looking to land blokes in trouble then i feel for him.

Springs

First Grade
Originally Posted by Shorty
And this occurs almost everytime a player is in the media, fans take the footballer's side everytime.
Disturbing to say the least.
People should be impartial.

Josh Dugan should be out for at least a year. Carney should not have been allowed to take up contracts at other clubs so soon after being sacked. Andrew Johns should not have been made an immortal nor should he have a high paying job as a commentator when he was (and is still) a big role model for young kids.

The difference in this case is clear. Neither she nor police pressed charges before she went to the media. She said she went to the media so another attack doesn't happen, yet pressing charges would be the best way to ensure that. The fact that neither her nor the police pressed charges supports Te'o's story at the moment.

The thing is the media takes the word 'alleged' to mean 'definite' and blows up all these scandals to be front page headlines while our game gets dragged through the mud while it's possible nobody did anything wrong. Like the Brett Stewart case where his reputation was tarnished on the word of a few people and was later found to be not guilty. Our game's reputation does not recover from that, it takes a hit with the word 'alleged' yet when the truth comes out there is no apology. People see the big headlines and that's what sticks in their minds, not the small column 6 pages in 4 months later.

Maximus

Coach
It doesn't help her cause when she says she was hit repeatedly , but the photographic evidence doesn't back that up.

Ah didn't she say that after the first punch she went to the ground and curled into a ball, and that he hit her again while she was on the ground? You would think she might be protecting her face in that position, and as far as I know, we haven't seen pictures of the rest of her body.

Also going to the media without making a formal complaint to the police might put a few people offside as well.

The cops said that a complaint was withdrawn.

Josh Dugan should be out for at least a year.

Why exactly ? He did nothing even close to warranting sitting him out for a year.

Carney should not have been allowed to take up contracts at other clubs so soon after being sacked.

So soon? He was forced to sit out a year. That's a fair punishment.

Andrew Johns should not have been made an immortal nor should he have a high paying job as a commentator when he was (and is still) a big role model for young kids.

The immortals is nothing to do with RL administration. It's a magazine award for on field performance only.

And why shouldn't he be allowed to be a commentator exactly ? For recreational drug use? That would rule out a large proportion of players.

Springs

First Grade

Of course it matters what the media does. First of all this isn't news, this is an allegation of an assault that should be dealt with privately by the police, no need to even go to the media (why did she do that again?)
Second, the media drags the game through the mud after any allegation when they do not have proof. They put a big headline up 'ANOTHER BLACK EYE FOR LEAGUE' when details of the incident are yet to be proven. People remember the headlines, and they damage the game's reputation (notice the headline says League, not Te'o). In the public eye they damage all of us involved with league. I play footy and I don't see how the sport I play has anything to do with this alleged incident.

And in what other cases has suspicion been cast against the victim? Brett Stewart maybe or Matty Johns, don't know about any others. People who have a suspicion that she is crazy might be concerning, but there is definite cause for suspicion over how she has gone about this. Inconsistent reports plus not pressing charges yet going to national media to 'warn others'? If the police went to the scene and found her lying in a pool of blood like she claims, with many injuries like she claims from repetitive hits from Te'o like she claims, then those police should be investigated as well as Te'o.

Ah didn't she say that after the first punch she went to the ground and curled into a ball, and that he hit her again while she was on the ground? You would think she might be protecting her face in that position, and as far as I know, we haven't seen pictures of the rest of her body.

Then release all the photos. It's not good enough to make these claims without evidence. If you're going to release one photo to back up your story , why not all?

The cops said that a complaint was withdrawn.

It's the same thing.

If she withdrew the complaint that's where the matter should end.

The two actions are totally contradictory.

If she has a complaint the right avenue is going through the police. Running off to the media doesn't win you any friends.

Danish

Referee
Chris Lynn's tweet confirms my suspicions that she's a trouble maker just looking for attention and publicity.

All Chris Lynn's tweet confirms is that some dickhead went to gaol for 2 months for doing something to this girl in the past.

Don't know about you, but I kind of doubt the courts threw a bloke in gaol for that long without them having done something wrong.

Danish

Referee
If she withdrew the complaint that's where the matter should end.

The two actions are totally contradictory.

If she has a complaint the right avenue is going through the police. Running off to the media doesn't win you any friends.

Robert Lui's partner eventually withdrew her 2010 complaint... does that mean he didn't beat the shit out of her after mad monday that year?

Springs

First Grade
Why exactly ? He did nothing even close to warranting sitting him out for a year.

So soon? He was forced to sit out a year. That's a fair punishment.

The immortals is nothing to do with RL administration. It's a magazine award for on field performance only.

And why shouldn't he be allowed to be a commentator exactly ? For recreational drug use? That would rule out a large proportion of players.

They all set a bad example don't they? Aside from being quite a lousy commentator, the fact that you can take drugs all your career, breaking the law and the game's rules, and then get one of the highest paying, most public jobs a retired player can get isn't a great deterrent to any upcoming junior players. Same with Josh Dugan, if a player f**ks up enough to get sacked by his club yet gets another contract at a top line club within weeks, what deterrent is that? The only team that loses is the club he f**ks over. If a player f**ks up enough to be sacked he shouldn't be allowed to sign with another club for that year. Otherwise the club just might as well tell the player to look for another club for next year.
The Carney one was for the Roosters sacking, not Raiders sacking,

El Diablo

Post Whore
we don't know the full jail story

he could have appealed and been released after two months for all we know

he could have been in jail for two months awaiting trial and got off

Danish

Referee
we don't know the full jail story

he could have appealed and been released after two months for all we know

he could have been in jail for two months awaiting trial and got off

I imagine if he'd been wrongly thrown in gaol Lynn likely would have mentioned that in his little twitter rant

They all set a bad example don't they? Aside from being quite a lousy commentator, the fact that you can take drugs all your career, breaking the law and the game's rules, and then get one of the highest paying, most public jobs a retired player can get isn't a great deterrent to any upcoming junior players. Same with Josh Dugan, if a player f**ks up enough to get sacked by his club yet gets another contract at a top line club within weeks, what deterrent is that? The only team that loses is the club he f**ks over. If a player f**ks up enough to be sacked he shouldn't be allowed to sign with another club for that year. Otherwise the club just might as well tell the player to look for another club for next year.
The Carney one was for the Roosters sacking, not Raiders sacking,

Firstly , carney was suspended for a year after the raiders sacking. Not the roosters sacking.

In relation to johns , I don't condone what he did. But he shouldn't be punished for the rest of his life because of his actions when he was a player. They were hardly bad enough to ban him from all future RL related employment.

In regards to Dugan , the club had other avenues of punishment. They could have fined him , sacked him to reserve grade. If every player that is sacked by a club is made to sit out a year that is totally arbitrary. There needs to be someone independent that reviews the sacking , and that's exactly what happened here.

Btw , there's a little thing called forgiveness. You should try it sometime.