What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

cgee221

Juniors
I take your point, but Fitzy's problem wasn't that he gave Hagan full autonomy on the fulltime squad, that should always be the case for a first grade coach, it was his decision not to interview other potential candidates including the current South Sydney coach who would of given his right arm to be offered an extension of his 06 contract, the same guy who prepared a 14 page blue print on how he was going to take the club forward and he didn't even get an interview, looking back now, it was one of the worst decisions in the clubs history.

Sorry, if it seamt like I was suggesting that Fitzy giving autonmy to Hagan was Fitzy's problem. I was using that for Hagan signing the underperforming players that we currently have.

In regards to JT and his snubbing. I couldn't agree more. It was one of the worst in the club's history and I bet Souths are laughing at the moment, particularly with the way they have moved forward both on and off the field. I cringed when I first heard Hagan as a potential candidate, I was an avid supporter of JT as a player and as a coach and would have loved to seen him at the helm. It was definetly one of the worst decisions in the clubs history.

dazeely

First Grade
Not by me. The Club already has the most experienced CEO in the League, despite what people on here think of him. (But I am that bloke 'yonder dressed in black' :lol:)

exactly PP. Maybe he should take some of the blame for this whole situation as surely the final decision lies with him. Kind of shoots down your argument on Fitzy imo.

salvy71

Juniors
It'll be at least 2011 before the bleak mess of the last few seasons can be overturned .....hopefully .

eelectric matt

Juniors
Fair enough in that regard Stagger, he is the past, but it was his decision-making that is affecting our present and now it seems, future. That's what's grinding my gears. It's the snowball affect. I couldn't give a hoot if Hagan and his decisions weren't going to affect us next year, but this article is suggesting that they are. His bad work is living on and the media and not as knowledgeable fans are going to get on Anderon's case as though he will have something to answer for.

My concerns are that Hagan has set up Anderson to fail. I mean it is very premature to say that this season and next we wont win the premiership or be in the finals, but at current, we have not proved beyond any reasonable doubt that our immediate on field future is going to break that premiership drought, and it is a result of poor player retention and recruitment. Which is what Hagan, Hill and Fitzgerald have been responsible for. Fitzy has stated that it is solely the coach's responsibility on who he wants and for how much. With Hill and Fitzgerald drawing up the contract and its KPI'S, requirements, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I understand what you're saying in that he is gone and we can't hold him accountable because he is no longer with us and you're a 100% correct. It's just that I for one and I'm sure many others feel that our club has been cheated a couple of years of potential success because of Hagan and co. incompetancy.

What I said in my previous post was just a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not going to do any of those things lol....but I do feel annoyed that Hagan made the decisions to lock these players in last year when he also stated that his heart wasn't in the job from about July last year or something to similar effect.
this would have to be the smartest most intelligent comment on this thread.totally 100% agree with you.every bloody week hagan bags our team in his column int the tele and yet this is the same very players hagan wanted in his team.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry, if it seamt like I was suggesting that Fitzy giving autonmy to Hagan was Fitzy's problem. I was using that for Hagan signing the underperforming players that we currently have.

In regards to JT and his snubbing. I couldn't agree more. It was one of the worst in the club's history and I bet Souths are laughing at the moment, particularly with the way they have moved forward both on and off the field. I cringed when I first heard Hagan as a potential candidate, I was an avid supporter of JT as a player and as a coach and would have loved to seen him at the helm. It was definetly one of the worst decisions in the clubs history.

I'm going to stick my neck out right now and say:

Daniel Anderson was a brilliant signing. I truly, honestly believe he's the man to take us forward. He's a brilliant tactician, loves the club and will get the best out of our mob.

His only inconvenience is not being able to build the team exactly he wants due to salary cap issues, but I honestly believe the man is good enough to rise above it.

eelectric matt

Juniors
hagan has ruined us and i just hope ando can fix the mess mh left our club in.next time u write about us michael remember you signed all these players so take a good hard look at yourself b4 u bag us again.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Anderson has a tough job ahead of him, no doubt. But I have absolute faith in him. He is exactly the type of man I'd want in a situation like this. Perhaps the only person I'd take over him or on par with him would be Smithy.

FMD Hagan should hang his head in shame.

U know who should hang their head in shame?

all of u who couldnt see we had a coach in the top 3 in the comp when we had him.
Only a complete moron could now say that it was a wise move to oust him. The lame old "well it was time for him to go" or "he was past his date" I wonder how we would be traveling now if he was still here.

Just my opinion but I would bet there are a few that were anti smith who are now thinking geez maybe I was wrong.

Face it guys we let go of a damn fine coach who proberbly took the fall for other morons.

Stagger eel

Staff member

all of u who couldnt see we had a coach in the top 3 in the comp when we had him.
Only a complete moron could now say that it was a wise move to oust him. The lame old "well it was time for him to go" or "he was past his date" I wonder how we would be traveling now if he was still here.

Just my opinion but I would bet there are a few that were anti smith who are now thinking geez maybe I was wrong.

Face it guys we let go of a damn fine coach who proberbly took the fall for other morons.

that's right, because it was us that made the decision to not renew his contract wasn't it? :roll:

cgee221

Juniors
I'm going to stick my neck out right now and say:

Daniel Anderson was a brilliant signing. I truly, honestly believe he's the man to take us forward. He's a brilliant tactician, loves the club and will get the best out of our mob.

His only inconvenience is not being able to build the team exactly he wants due to salary cap issues, but I honestly believe the man is good enough to rise above it.

Great stuff Eelementary. Daniel Anderson was a brilliant signing. In regards to re what I said about Taylor. At the time I thought Taylor was our best option.

At the time Hagan left us, Anderson was the best option and I like you believe he IS the man to take us forward, I'm just worried that the media and rugby league folk alike are going to get on his case if the team doesn't produce results in this year and next and start pointing the finger at him and then everyone starting to call for his head.

I definetly believe he has the ability to rise above it, but I also believe he has a team that can let him down. Whatever the case, I would love to see Anderson as our coach for the next 5+ years.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
From the sounds of people here, the attitude seems to be that we are destined for the wooden spoon for the next couple of years. Its not like the players we have cant play well, its just about getting their head straight which I am sure is well in their reach. Bolstering our club would be nice, but there is no guarentee that it will help us on the field significantly.

Eelementary

Post Whore

He was and still is a fine coach.

However, complacency was starting to become a problem. It probably was time for him to go.

And perhaps you should give one Daniel Anderson as much esteem as you have for Smithy...I am sure he'll surprise many people.

Eelementary

Post Whore
From the sounds of people here, the attitude seems to be that we are destined for the wooden spoon for the next couple of years. Its not like the players we have cant play well, its just about getting their head straight which I am sure is well in their reach. Bolstering our club would be nice, but there is no guarentee that it will help us on the field significantly.

The problem now becomes: let's say you are looking at signing a player (for argument's sake, let's say Thurston). Now, if you don't perform reasonably well in the two years before you can actually make a serious play for Thurston, he probably would never consider coming here at all; why would he leave the Cowboys to come to another pretender club?

So the challenge becomes, with the same cattle that has under-achieved for two years now, to perform at a good enough level that potential investors, sponsors and players down the track don't immediately get put off.

lingard

Coach
Makes me wonder who is "the source" from the FC/LC and if this is just another attempt to white ant Fitzy. The quotes from Roy Spag are not gloom and doom, just those from "the source".

At last, this late in the thread, we might be getting somewhere near the truth! Don`t stress about media reports until they are confirmed. Have a good day :)

Craig Johnston

First Grade
one burden on our cap which no-one has mentioned so far is guru jnr. since he resigned for the 250-280k rumoured to stop him going to union, he has paid back very little. i know he has put some effort in when fit, but uiasele and tautai are doing very little wrong atm for blokes on minimum contracts.

put it this way, i'd rather a good reliable halfback for 280k than what guru is returning atm. sacrafices have to made somewhere. cutting grothe or inu is something we can afford to do.

a halfback and prop is critical to our chances atm.

lingard

Coach
Bring back residential rules. Play for the Club that raised you, and for the same amount for each player. Take the money issue out of the picture and let loyalty and development rule which is the best side.
Buying premierships...is it really worth it?

Yes, that would be lovely wouldn`t it? Or a variation of it.

My question is - How accurate is this story??

We were credited with "a late and substantial offer" for Michael Crocker earlier in the week, yet a few days later, we've got no cash??

The official quotes do not really give much away, and most of the dirt comes from a "source".

I would have thought that a "source" would be more inclined to talk to news ltd.

Be interesting to see what Josh has to say come the morn....

Stagger eel

Staff member
one burden on our cap which no-one has mentioned so far is guru jnr. since he resigned for the 250-280k rumoured to stop him going to union, he has paid back very little. i know he has put some effort in when fit, but uiasele and tautai are doing very little wrong atm for blokes on minimum contracts.

put it this way, i'd rather a good reliable halfback for 280k than what guru is returning atm. sacrafices have to made somewhere. cutting grothe or inu is something we can afford to do.

a halfback and prop is critical to our chances atm.

I'm lead to believe that Guru is on 180K...