What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Fingers crossed CC, CQ, WA and a SEQ side are all part of it over 2 expansion windows. All bids need certainty otherwise all these millions have been wasted, and the public will be much more reluctant to get involved for all of us next time.

2 in 2015/6, next 2 at start of new tv deal please!

If I was part of the commission that is exactly what I would do ( except maybe swap CQ or SEQ for Wellington like Perth Red) But that would make to much sense for the ARLC, I think it is starting to look like they will put off expansion until the next tv deal. But I hope I am wrong.

Briza

Juniors
The Bears are one of my most hated teams due to local rivalry and the Merger debacle, BUT i'd love to see a competitive Bears playing at Brookvale Oval and copping a flogging :)

Beowulf

Juniors
The Bears are one of my most hated teams due to local rivalry and the Merger debacle, BUT i'd love to see a competitive Bears playing at Brookvale Oval and copping a flogging :)

My thoughts precisely other way round! But the sentiment has worked for Rabbitohs v Roosters and others....passionate rivalries are what makes fans watch.

clarency

Juniors
What sort of news....

is it actually important or is it like "Membership drive! At this place! BE THERE!!!"

no offence.

What sort of news....

is it actually important or is it like "Membership drive! At this place! BE THERE!!!"

no offence.

From what I gather some of the bids will be coming out with new sponsor or initiative announcements. CCBears will most likely be the same, plus membership drives which are an important aspect to building on community support.

Beowulf

Juniors
Below, find an open letter to the ARLC that we are asking any fans and sympathisers of the Bears to read and join us in action this Thursday. A video message from lifelong Bears fan Jason Hodges (of Better Homes & Gardens fame) can also be viewed on the Central Coast Bears website tomorrow (Wednesday) at www.centralcoastbears.com.au
An event has been organised by the fans of the Central Coast Bears bid who want to show their support, with the Bears assisting by providing free buses and sandwiches. Get to Norths (Abbott St, Cammeray) from 12.30pm this Thursday. Buses will depart 1pm sharp for League HQ. Alternatively should you work in the city or find it easier from the Coast to catch public transport into town, please meet us at League HQ @ 1.15pm……it’s a 20 min walk from Central or a bus from the city will get you either to Anzac Parade or Oxford St, Paddington near the Victoria Barracks. If you can only be there for 30 min due to work commitments, please aim to be there for a 1.30pm media opportunity.
League HQ is located at Driver Avenue, Moore Park (next to the SFS). Media are anticipated to attend…
While there we will have a brief look at the League museum before returning to Norths around 2.30pm. A good chance to take the kids out for a few hours in school holidays on a noble cause!
Fans of other teams are encouraged to attend as well - we would love fans from as many Clubs as possible to support us by wearing your team’s jersey – just as we and others supported Souths in their hour of need…..please bring your kids along and they may just get to be on TV or in the papers!
OPEN LETTER TO THE NEW ARL COMMISSION
On behalf of anyone who has ever loved the Bears or wanted to see the Coast with its own team.
Firstly, we want to congratulate all of you on your appointment to the Commission at such a critical time in the game’s future.
You have been given a mandate and the responsibility to clean up a mess – not of your own doing – but a mess nonetheless. Before you blow full time on this season, we implore you to have a serious discussion about the Bears.
The Bears are a foundation club and for over 90 years we helped the league grow and expand – we assisted in bringing Manly into the competition in the best interests of the game (not one of our better moves, it would seem!).
We were an integral part of the League’s culture – for Bears fans our title drought was a perverse source of pride and character building, while for other fans it made us their second favourite, explaining our TV popularity.
When the Super League wars broke out we got caught in the middle –during the most successful period of our history in 50 years. Despite this, and despite proactively building strong ties with a view to expanding into the central coast in our purpose-built stadium, we came out on the wrong side of the ‘peace’ settlement. This remains a great source of bewilderment for fans of not only our club or code. We were dudded and forced into a loveless marriage with Manly - we never had a chance.
As Winston Churchill said, “if you’re going through hell, keep going,” and our perseverance has been rewarded – the league has recovered, albeit with one gaping wound. Mistakes made in the past can now be undone. Mike Gibson, in Dr Andrew Moore’s book ‘The Mighty Bears!’ says “it takes a special type of mug to follow the (Bears)….you have to be a dreamer.” We look to you and dare to dream again…
For the last 13 years, with great fortitude and a determination to right a terrible wrong, the Bears have built an irresistible case for admission.
Greg Florimo (our inspirational leader both on and off the field) has kept the fight going and has generated a compelling business case for the Central Coast Bears – a sponsored stadium at BlueTongue, a junior heartland desperate for a team, and a loyal Sydney base of supporters and corporate partners.
Greg should be lauded by the game, not shunned. AFL consciously promote the histories and traditions of their game to great effect – they have an Independent Commission to rise above the sectional self-interest of clubs and other parties. Now we hope, so do we.
Our hard efforts have gifted you a marketing bonanza through the re-establishment of a Foundation Club with an instant fan base, a purpose built (thanks to us) stadium all at no cost. Take it and run with it.
The re-admittance of the Rabbitohs has been a success, not just for South Sydney but for the code and rival clubs whose memberships and merchandise sales have benefitted through renewed rivalry. Imagine the intensity of the rivalries that will benefit both Manly and Newcastle with the admittance of the Bears?
This team would consolidate a League nursery that has developed talent such as David Fairleigh, Chris Heighington, Keiran Foran, James Maloney and Tim Moltzen.
But it would do more than that – it would bring back generations of fans who were told there was no club for them anymore. In limbo, these fans have drifted towards AFL and Union, having no interest in our game until such time as the Bears are readmitted. Just like the Swans – who have loyal South fans in Melbourne – the Bears would enjoy two groups of supporters, united by a heavy rail line allowing mass fan transfer to Gosford.
The lack of ready access to any top flight ground is a major barrier to entry for the remaining league fans in northern Sydney/Central Coast who currently have little incentive to attend anyway.
It is no small irony that the threat generated by the proactivity of the AFL in protecting a heritage brand through relocation to Sydney can only be effectively countered by an equivalent strategy with the Bears.
We were originally told expansion would be considered for 2013 – this was deferred. Now nearly 8,000 financial members and tens of thousands of disaffected League fans who are giving the game one last chance await your ‘expansion plan’.
But we are not talking about expansion – we are talking about saving not one, but two of your remaining assets.
- a geographical community that doesn’t need to be taught to love League
- and some diehard fans who are rapidly losing that love.
Letting us drift away would be a big call for you to make – the opportunity cost of not including the Central Coast Bears is enormous. Families will naturally gravitate to other codes where they are appreciated and have identifiable local pathways to a national competition, denying our code the player pool for the future.
So as you meet to take the game forward, we think we deserve answers to three simple questions:
1. Are you prepared to give up the Central Coast to rival football codes?
2. Do you believe this great game’s traditions deserve every opportunity to survive?
3. What do we need to do to Bring Back the Bears before we walk away from the game forever?
The great Irish Statesman of the 18th Century, Edmund Burke, said "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Do not ‘do nothing’. We, your long suffering northern fan base, ask for a clear indication of your plans.
We think we deserve at least that.

Beowulf

Juniors
Big plug from John Gibbs tonight on 2UE's sport show - praising our efforts and encouraging fans from all teams to attend the event tomorrow - 1.30pm NRL HQ, or 12.30 Norths Cammeray for a free bus in.

bottle

Coach
Florimo was interviewed on 2SM in relation to the above mentioned letter today, about 3.50 pm. Not sure if there is a podcast, you may be able to find it online if so.

Beowulf

Juniors
How many turned up?

The aim was to fill a bus which was provided by the Bears, which we pretty much did - got close to 50 there. we handed around 150 letters to the ARLC. No media was there, which was a slight disappointment, but with the 2SM interview and the 2UE comments the previosu night, as an exercise done on limited cost the media exposure was excellent.

I can recommend the RL museum to everyone at the SFS - its free - better than the SCG museum next door, lots of trophies, old jerseys and interactive materials...very well done.

Just interested to know, and I am a CC member and t-shirt wearer but...

What if the NRL said, yes - we want a Central Coast team but no - we don't want the bears.

Would the interest for a NRL team based on CC still be there? Or is it mainly old Norths supporters wanting their team back?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here in lies the problem, reality is the drive and desire is mainly coming from NS not Gosford. People on the CC would welcome the Bears as their team but if the Bears walked away and another bid started up based in CC then that would get equal support from people in Gosford (arguably more as there would be less conflict from existing NRL club fans who live in the region). However, as the Bears club rightly points out regional NRL clubs struggle big time to be financially sustainable and without the connection with NS and its corporates then a team in Gosford would be in the same boat as Illawarra, Newcastle without Tinkler or NQ was for many many years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is the other unknown, how many of the 20k that turns up for a Wests games would follow a cc bears team? They do have plenty of members and plenty of Facebook likes though so you would hope there are enough neutral fans or people who would adopt them as a second team to be viable.

I'm from the CC and I think the ship has sailed, sadly.

I go up for the Souths games and signed up initially cause it'd be good to have the bears back, plus I love their colours.

But now you've got the Pirates, Bombers/West Ipswich Backdoor Brisbane, CQ and even the PNG bids slowly building, I don't see the point of a CC team. Doesn't really expand the market in my view, doesn't bring in many new $$$ and the RL can already get to ANZ or Newcastle to watch RL an hour away. Plus if the NRL has each Sydney team donate a home game up there each season, then that's 8-9 games a year there (when teams only get 12 home games anyway).

Not trying to death ride the bears, but I think there are better options now.

Plus I get tired of hearing about CC Bears getting the CC licence and then people wanting them to play 1-2 games a year at NSO. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts