What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons statement: Player breach

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, i dont think the majority of players will miss any games. Vaughan however will, possibly 4-6 weeks as it's his 2nd offence, can also see him with a $50k fine added on.

The other 11 will be fined up to $25k (using the Dugan fine as a guide). As the players involved were technically still 'in the bubble', that's about the limit.

As for the club and the sheer #'s involved, anything up to 100k may be the result.

The club, however, may also impose it's own sanction ie: standing down player/s to even tearing up contract. Unsure if they caam impose further fines on top of the NRL's.

Whilst the sanctions will be harsh, and deservedly so, I don't think the NRL will go as far as to risk the possibility of playing reserve grade/jersey flegg players for any length of time, some of those boys wouldn't have played for several weeks now. They still have a duty of care.

RedVDave

First Grade
The following guys will get 2 weeks suspension and $25K I think the following punishments should also apply:

- Matt Dufty (already not wanted for next year if this is attitude then his contract must be torn up now)
- Gerard Beale (was playing good footy could of possibly even got a new deal as he was just on a training contract but now must be terminated immediately)
- Zac Lomax (first offence long term deal standard punishment only)
- Jack Bird (as above)
- Corey Norman (see Dufty)
- Blake Lawrie (see bird)
- Paul Vaughan (second offence in less than one year must be terminated now)
- Josh Kerr (see bird)
- Kaide Ellis (see Dufty)
- Josh McGuire (see bird)
- Tyrell Fuimaono (see bird)
- Daniel Alvaro (see bird)

This Year?

Immortal
I find it very hard to respect or even like any of these players after that. We all suffer in different ways during this lockdown and they treat it with complete contempt by having that gathering.
I hope the consequences are a deterrent from even thinking about doing something so ignorant again. Yes, I understand their reasoning with the bubble etc, but they are under the same rules (and then some with the NRL's biosecurity protocols) as us. Because of their standing in the community they should also be more aware of what social backlash there will be for doing something like this.
There are many people breaking the rules during this lockdown which makes it even more disappointing for the ones who are doing the right thing. I hope they get stood down from the club for 14 days which are to be spent in isolation as well as pay the fines imposed by the police and whatever fines come from the NRL.

hewi

Bench
A quote from the NRL on Foxsports.

“This is quite significant so we’re going to take it pretty seriously. You can expect a significant sanction if the allegations are proven and we’ll do that relatively quickly,” he said

LINK: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/8749a66258507ac203f393090473977f

We were never going to beat Manly so let’s just forfeit the game that way at least we won’t have to suffer the embarrassment of seeing how good Saab is and the fact we released him.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlameThrower

Bench
On 2GB this morning- Abdo was asked if players would be stood down and he said it can’t be ruled out. He also went on to say that we could use players from juniors to fill the vacant spots - I think they are looking into this. PV was called out as being senior player who hosted this and also got in trouble last year. He also said they want to wrap this up very quickly in next few days. IMO expect heavy fines, players stood down and possibly a fine to club. Absolute nightmare heading our way - how long can some of the Club sponsors put up with this rubbish as well.

brissiedragon

Juniors
Happy teams make successful teams. We dont know why the whole team didnt attend but at face value the get together could also be interpreted as being team divisive, not withstanding the stupidity of it all.

thebigredv

First Grade
On 2GB this morning- Abdo was asked if players would be stood down and he said it can’t be ruled out. He also went on to say that we could use players from juniors to fill the vacant spots - I think they are looking into this. PV was called out as being senior player who hosted this and also got in trouble last year. He also said they want to wrap this up very quickly in next few days. IMO expect heavy fines, players stood down and possibly a fine to club. Absolute nightmare heading our way - how long can some of the Club sponsors put up with this rubbish as well.
We have to forfeit. I know nobody likes that word or idea but it is a must in this situation. Why should the club have to pull players from a competition that isn't running currently? We can site health reasons. A forfeit would be better than watching a complete reserve grade team get belted by Turbo.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
The following guys will get 2 weeks suspension and $25K I think the following punishments should also apply:

- Matt Dufty (already not wanted for next year if this is attitude then his contract must be torn up now)
- Gerard Beale (was playing good footy could of possibly even got a new deal as he was just on a training contract but now must be terminated immediately)
- Zac Lomax (first offence long term deal standard punishment only)
- Jack Bird (as above)
- Corey Norman (see Dufty)
- Blake Lawrie (see bird)
- Paul Vaughan (second offence in less than one year must be terminated now)
- Josh Kerr (see bird)
- Kaide Ellis (see Dufty)
- Josh McGuire (see bird)
- Tyrell Fuimaono (see bird)
- Daniel Alvaro (see bird)
Trouble with your rationale is that if different "punishments" are applied to different players for the same offence (without any other information to the contrary) lawyers will run a truck through the process. The punishment (except for PV) will be the Musketeers Principle (All for One, and One for All); and weather a player is on a Train and Trial Contract, or his contract ends this year without renewal is irrelevant. Imagine if your contract was terminated immediately but old mate sitting next to you at the "party" is still picking up $15K a week. I'm thinking that a lawyer may argue that is prejudicial (and would succeed).

thebigredv

First Grade
Happy teams make successful teams. We dont know why the whole team didnt attend but at face value the get together could also be interpreted as being team divisive, not withstanding the stupidity of it all.

All those unseen things we have suspected about certain players have been put on display for all to see in this instance.

We've long doubted Norman, Kerr, Dufty, Lawrie and Vaughan's on field efforts. Every other week we are trying to figure out why one or more of them gets selected and how they let the team down. We often talk about effort and mentality. This was an off field action that is just as selfish as they're weak efforts on the field,

This whole bunch of players is about to cost us big time and I want to see justice brought to the fans.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
It is very selfish.

Some might say it is unrelated but I believe it shows exactly why we keep having less than impressive seasons. The attitude and professionalism of a large group of players is not up to standard. They keep getting away with it on the field so why not try it off the park.

I'll go out on a limb and say I bet our SOO players are not involved and that a certain five eight is. Pure speculation but going off what I see week in and out on the field.
You were proven correct.

thebigredv

First Grade
You were proven correct.

Yes. As I just stated this offence has all the hallmarks of certain on field performances of players who, no doubt talented, have been inconsistent for years. They don't actually have the mindset to be premiership players.

After the years of JDB saga which the fans had to cop and after the Magic Round targeted attack, I think I will need to see the club itself really take it to these players by whatever is fair and just in the eyes of the law.

Two of these players have already been shown the door so they are happy to be part of the divisiveness at our club. The repeat offender host player has exercised his clause to stay one more year so that he can benefit and we can see him pull his finger out every few matches and coast on that. He will be out of the club asap and the other 10 players need get the same treatment if we are deadset about turning this club around.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems to me the fact that hunt,McCulloch and Sims,and jdb didn't attend ,they must have known what was happening just makes it look all the worse stupidity from all concerned ...........

BLM01

First Grade
Rothfield and co. having a field day.

The filthy Buzz aye
Nothing to see Buzz just like the peptides and players at a certain club
Speaking of men behaving badly

All Dragon supporters should have a outdoor barbecue this weekend to show we are behind the club when we come out of lockdown
invite your mates over it might be a maximum of 5 allowed or say you are a exercise class and you are allowed up to 10 even now
Remember 1.5m