What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also recall a journalist asking Anderson what was behind the amazing run in 2009? Anderson's response was answered like a hillbilly bogan dunce: "ummmm I dunno"

Which was the sound bite, played on most of the TV stations. But if you listened to the entire interview he also said "They just started listening to me"

It doesn't prove anything per se. BA was also picked up by SK and stunk it up here as "attack coach" for 2 years.

The difference between BA and SK is that BA has actually coached a side as a head coach for an entire season and a finals campaign if I remember correctly. IIRC Maguire won the twenties title one year and BA was the coach for the next year and won it while Maguire was off in England.

That was my biggest problem with SK from day one, he had never coached and recruited and managed a side for anything longer than 9 weeks before he was appointed head coach of the Eels.

The difference between BA and SK is that BA has actually coached a side as a head coach for an entire season and a finals campaign if I remember correctly. IIRC Maguire won the twenties title one year and BA was the coach for the next year and won it while Maguire was off in England.

That was my biggest problem with SK from day one, he had never coached and recruited and managed a side for anything longer than 9 weeks before he was appointed head coach of the Eels.

Yep and BA has had a coaching or captain-coaching role for the last 15 years or so. Who knows how next year will turn out, but I'm certainly not in knockers clubl.

Kornstar

Coach
I also recall a journalist asking Anderson what was behind the amazing run in 2009? Anderson's response was answered like a hillbilly bogan dunce: "ummmm I dunno"

I love this one, especially how everyone forgets Smith said something similar after 01........

Well mate that is your opinion.

I am finding it interesting, especially the comments of say Ray Price, who said of FSN "What has Daniel Anderson won?" or words to that affect.

Well in 2006 he won the Double in the UK. (Challenge Cup and Premiership) with Saints,

He won 2 more challenge cups at the Saints in 2007 and 2008 as well as making 2 more grand finals in 2007 and 2008 and losing both

He got the Warriors to their first final series in 2001 and then first grand final in 2002, and he got us to a miracle grand final in 2009, he is a Parramatta man and that is the reason a large number on this forum wanted him to replace Hagan in 2009.

His Premier League side in 1999 won the Title at Parramatta, and racked up a fantastic score in the Grand Final that year.

Now there are some that say he has issues with Polynessian players, but most are unhappy with him letting Mateo and Inu go in 2010 and picking up Carl Webb and Casey Maguire. That may be fair criticism, but he was also chasing a class half, until he was white anted by Osbourne.

He knows the old Parramatta System that used to produce many top class players. If he can get that system rocking again and Nolan can get us to keep the right ones we might be inline for plenty of home grown success with these two in charge of the club.

Do I think BA could be a Top down coach like Smith and Anderson, no, not yet so with DA looking after football operations I am sure things will be well looked after.

I don't think you're allowed to support DA is what I get from this thread.

Which was the sound bite, played on most of the TV stations. But if you listened to the entire interview he also said "They just started listening to me"

Don't let the facts get in the way of good bullshit, MITS.

BINGO!! BA has actual coaching experience, which makes it even more interesting why SK was ever picked as coach!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
To avoid everyone arguing about who is the better ex-parra coach we should have a "coach off" between all of our previous coaches. I imagine this would involve a series of questions from a panel, a mock team address which a panel gets to judge plus a test to see who can drop the most swear words in a coaches box within a 40 min period.

The winner should be forever crowned the "greatest ever ex-Parra coach" so that we can stop these perpetual "wang waving" arguments amongst disgruntled fans once and for all.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To avoid everyone arguing about who is the better ex-parra coach we should have a "coach off" between all of our previous coaches. I imagine this would involve a series of questions from a panel, a mock team address which a panel gets to judge plus a test to see who can drop the most swear words in a coaches box within a 40 min period.

The winner should be forever crowned the "greatest ever ex-Parra coach" so that we can stop these perpetual "wang waving" arguments amongst disgruntled fans once and for all.

I asked Ryan Morgan what he thought about the idea...

Noa

First Grade

Maguire never had anything to do with the NYC team. Arthur coached it in 2008 and 2009.

jason taylor

Bench
Shane Flanagan never coached a team iirc before becoming the Sharks head coach. We will have to wait until the end of next season to see if Arthur is a competent first grade coach.

Interestingly enough, in the season he took over (2010) Flanagan won 2/6 games, similar to Brad Arthur.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. PARRAMATTA were so far down the track to appointing Jason Taylor that he completed a video interview with the Eels media department about becoming head coach.

News Limited can reveal an internal camera crew filmed an interview with Taylor several weeks ago, in which the Roosters assistant coach discussed his plans to resurrect the back-to-back wooden spooners.

The footage is understood to have been stored on a private YouTube channel, which Taylor had permission to review.

The revelation that Taylor was already participating in club publicity trials demonstrates just how unexpected Tuesday night’s boardroom backflip to appoint rival candidate Brad Arthur was.

Eels directors ostensibly met to discuss the finer points of Taylor’s contract, having voted 3-2 in his favour a week earlier.

Jason Taylor was snubbed for the Eels coaching job.

Taylor had demanded slightly more money than Arthur, and also expressed a stronger desire to transfer his own staff at the expense of assistants left over from the Ricky Stuart era.
One was expected to be former Eels strength and conditioning coach Hayden Knowles, whom News Limited understands has a strained relationship with proposed football manager Daniel Anderson from when the pair previously worked together at Parramatta in 2009.

Despite those minor misgivings, Taylor still expected to be given the job. Over the previous 48 hours he’d phoned senior Roosters officials to thank them and farewell them.

Sections of Parramatta’s management and board were also convinced he was the man. Eels CEO Scott Seward even went as far as phoning Arthur’s representatives on Tuesday morning to inform them Taylor would be appointed.

Brad Arthur wins race for Parramatta Eels job 1:54
Play video

Parramatta CEO Scott Seward reveals how the club came to the decision to appoint Manly assistant, Brad Arthur, over former Eels player and hot favourite for the job Jason Taylor.

That night directors who voted for Taylor a week earlier attended the meeting without any knowledge whatsoever that a second vote was being planned by Arthur’s supporters.

Under pressure to survive after publicly backing Arthur, chairman Steve Sharp had spent the previous week in clandestine negotiations to salvage the situation.

One director, Peter Serrao, changed his vote from seven nights earlier. Serrao had loyalties to both Taylor and Anderson, having worked with the pair during various stages of his earlier career as a junior coach and teacher.

That left Mario Libertini with the casting vote. Libertini did not attend the first meeting, having only been invited back by Sharp late the week beforehand. He voted for Arthur, handing the Manly assistant the most surprising reprieve of all.

Ray Price slams Parramatta board over coaching sage 3:35
Play video

Parramatta legend Ray Price has slammed the Eels board over their handling of the club's coaching saga after they backflipped and elected to appoint Brad Arthur to head their first grade side in 2014.

Both Seward and Taylor have played down the boardroom machinations. They’ve publicly agreed they couldn’t reach mutual terms over the coaching structure, a story that casts both parties in a more favourable light.

Yet it’s at odds with the Taylor video, his farewell to the Roosters, Seward’s call to Arthur’s management, and the fact two Eels directors still voted for Taylor on Tuesday night.

Seward did not respond to questions about the video on Thursday.

Something is amiss. And even with Taylor out of the picture, Anderson still had not accepted the football manager job late on Thursday.

Neil Henry on new role at Titans, Eels coaching job 1:23
Play video

As Neil Henry settles into his new home on the Gold Coast, the former Cowboys coach has opened up on his new role at the Titans, acquiring help from Mal Maninga and why he didn't sign with Parramatta.

It’s understood the NRL referees boss has demanded an assurance that he won’t be out of pocket should he be dismissed ahead of time.

It’s a rare and bold ultimatum that illustrates the level of trepidation surrounding the most unstable club in rugby league.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...deal-before-snub/story-fndv34of-1226741928490

Status
Not open for further replies.