What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels team vs. Manly

Avenger

Immortal
The Manly pack is underwhelming to say the least. If our pack cannot get over the top of them we never will.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
It's obvious that Smith, Paulo, Fui, Kelly and possibly Tonga are not going to get any better. Yes, in short bursts they are great but with the '"new" speed of the game, short bursts are not of any long-term benefit anymore. It will not be enough to win most games. If I was Brad Arthur, I would be grooming more juniors into the top 17, players who have power, skill, size, agility and stamina and get them used to playing in the "new" speed of the NRL ASAP this year.

This is a VERY VERY different game to what we've had since 2002.

The game is ONLY going to get faster as this season progresses and what we now need is a bunch of players groomed for the "new" speed and stamina game.

As far as I am concerned if we don't address this faster game issue, starting this week, we will fall further and further behind as this season unfolds. Smith, Fui, Paulo, Kelly, are NOT up to this "new" speed game, they just don't have it in them to shift another few gears. What we've seen from them thus far this season is it. There is nothing else left in the tank for them. This includes Tonga unles he was injured last night or just needs time for his body to get used to playing 80 minutes of NRL to develop match fitness, to find a few more speed/stamina gears to shift into.

Yes, I've been a strong supporter of Kelly but after last nights showing he just does not have the power, stamina, skill and brains for this modern speed game. Kelly has to go.

I reckon a lot of teams with aged squads will fall by the way side this season. Teams with much younger squads, filled with speed, power, stamina and brains will excel and fight for the top 8. Unless we make changes NOW, we are f**ked, we'll fall too far behind to be able to catch up.

The good news is we have a bunch of excellent young ones READY to be groomed NOW.

Who controls the ruck and the ball controls the speed game and have the advantage of wearing down defenses quickly. Without lots of stamina in reserve many cracks will appear in defenses like ours (Smith, Kelly, Paulo, etc) and the game is LOST.

The Roosters beat us in the up-tempo power-speed game - most of our players did not drop off between-the-ears (give up) , they just ran out of petrol, were totally f**ked by half-time.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is a VERY VERY different game to what we've had since 2001.

Yeah they changed the rules after 2001 because the game was too fast and looked shit with endless dummy half running. They changed the rules after 2013, ostensibly to protect players, but it has sped the ruck up as well, which I think is good. It was far too slow these past two years due to the wrestle.

But I think the ruck was slow last night (ours was anyway) because of the weather, plus our lack of a dummy half.

I would be grooming more juniors

I bet you f**king would.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yeah they changed the rules after 2001 because the game was too fast and looked shit with endless dummy half running. They changed the rules after 2013, ostensibly to protect players, but it has sped the ruck up as well, which I think is good. It was far too slow these past two years due to the wrestle.

But I think the ruck was slow last night (ours was anyway) because of the weather, plus our lack of a dummy half.

I bet you f**king would.

Are you a junior?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
If his form warrants it he should be back.

His form over the past two games in NSW cup has been outstanding imo. A much more calculated game this week he was telling Ualesi, Morgan, and Sio where he wanted them to run. Resulted in 4 tries from nice passes on that side, including one where Sandow threw a nice cut out ball to Morgan who was running a nice line.

natheel

Coach
As long as our guts confidence isn't totally shattered then bring Chris in because if we have lost that enthusiasm from round 1 the Sandow will be fighting an uphill battle

Chipmunk

Coach
His form over the past two games in NSW cup has been outstanding imo. A much more calculated game this week he was telling Ualesi, Morgan, and Sio where he wanted them to run. Resulted in 4 tries from nice passes on that side, including one where Sandow threw a nice cut out ball to Morgan who was running a nice line.

He is a $550k a season player. If he isnt outstanding in park football I think we would be asking alot of questions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Park football? It is the second tier of rugby league in the state. Over half the players in any given game are on fulltime contracts.

But yes they do play in parks.

IFR33K

Coach

We all know sandow can attack, but what has his defence been like????

Even without $BW, I'd rather sandow come in against manly rather than the roosters. Here's hoping sandow wants it bad enough.

Joely01

Bench
We all know sandow can attack, but what has his defence been like????

Even without $BW, I'd rather sandow come in against manly rather than the roosters. Here's hoping sandow wants it bad enough.

I was actually impressed with his defence yesterday

hindy111

Post Whore
Lassalo must be restored to first grade.To live up to his promise and reach the stars.Shine my man shine. Shine bright like a diamond-Like a diamond in the sky .

MoiMoi isn't the front rower he once was.He maybe does 2-3 good runs a game but the rest are quite ordinary and his defense is a liability.His play the balls are way too slow.

We must start with Tanginoa-Edwards-Mau and see how they go.Smith is pointless on the bench , if he cant start than drop him and give someone else a go.If we are building for the future well guys without one must be culled now.And guys who we are 50/50 must prove there worth.

hindy111

Post Whore
By rnd 8 we need to know who will be part of this team for next year and if K.Edwards and Mau aren't up to it than we need to be ready in the player market. Otherwise we eithr by junk or are stuck with what we have.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Mannah / lussick always seem to get crap put on them, mannah is soft, lussick doesn't run hard enough - but each week they put in and regularly make good metres and tackles

For me Peni is the disappointing one, apart from scoring a few nice tries I really don't think he has done much - doesn't seen to make many metres or tackles . Doesn't seem to have the power to make metres up the middle. I would consider swapping him for junior Paulo

Latest posts