What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels team vs. Manly

pedge

Juniors
As expected copy and paste from round 1 this week with the only difference no Lussick on the bench.
Hopefully the copy and paste isn't the one thing BA learnt from SK when here as assistant to him.

here here
ffs
stuart was the same last year as well
wtf is wrong with these merkins

emjaycee

Coach
here here
ffs
stuart was the same last year as well
wtf is wrong with these merkins

It is either one of three things this early in the season.
0) wants to build combinations and that takes time and consistency;
1) doesn't believe any of the reggies can make the step up;
2) doesn't want to introduce any 2nd tier players this early in the season;
3) wants to make the guys that got flogged redeem themselves

Snoochies

First Grade
Based on last weeks performance the whole team should have been dropped. Why single out a few players when the whole team flopped?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Based on last weeks performance the whole team should have been dropped. Why single out a few players when the whole team flopped?

Spot on mate. It would be terrible for the squad to pick a handful of scapegoats out of that performance. You only drop a bloke if he's not up to the standard of the rest of the team, and there is someone better to bring in.

Finding someone to blame is weak as piss. That's for 'fans' not leaders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But than again should we really take much notice of the side chosen for Tuesday??

#smokey

I think Sandow's the only bloke we could justify bringing in at the moment (based on Wenty's lineup this week), and if we did, why telegraph it this early in the week?

pedge

Juniors
Spot on mate. It would be terrible for the squad to pick a handful of scapegoats out of that performance. You only drop a bloke if he's not up to the standard of the rest of the team, and there is someone better to bring in.

Finding someone to blame is weak as piss. That's for 'fans' not leaders.

I guess Michael Macguire is a piss weak coach then...Beau Champion dropped after one loss
Give me that anyday then someone who puts up with mediocrity

pedge

Juniors
That's because he had a shocker while the rest of his team played well. Joel Reddy is a better defender than Champion too.

we had a few shockers in our team too

its not about singling people out, its about getting rid of guys who have been nothing but dead wood for a long time
guys like ben smith and mitchell allgood...geez if we dont have better than those guys running around in the reggies then a) wtf are we doing with out recruitment and b) another wooden spoon coming up

im just frustrated...for at least 3 years now its been the same rinse and repeat bullshit, belting after belting...guess I was just hoping we had a coach who could tell these guys that not even one loss would be tolerated, play every game like it is your last, and that not everyone is guaranteed a second chance.

IFR33K

Coach
Peats will make a difference. Not sure if we'll win that team but I dont think we'll get smashed again. Arthur obviously has faith in this team.

Well if we can tighten the d around the middle, we may not need to compress as much, in turn we'll be better on the edges.

Likewise in attack, if we play direct up the middle and poke our noses through, it may result in them compressing, resulting in more room out wide.

Don't underestimate the difference peats can make.

eels_fan

First Grade
I think we certainly match Manly in the forwards, they dont have an aggression or size advantage IMO.

Their backs, whilst more experienced, dont offer too much more than ours, it is only in the halves that they dominate us. If we can win the forward battle, and limit time & space for DCE & Foran we'll be very competitive. Peats really is the key.

Also hoping Gower comes in replacing Allgood, against he old mob and has shown promise at Wenty.

Also Tonga VS Lyon should be good battle. We lost Tonga because of damn Lyon, only for the prick to then walk out on us. Hope Tonga smashes him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Sandow's the only bloke we could justify bringing in at the moment (based on Wenty's lineup this week), and if we did, why telegraph it this early in the week?

Exactly...

Bare in mind, all grades are playing at brooky on Sunday so he can prepare all players leading up to and even the morning of the game..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
we had a few shockers in our team too

We had more than a few. The whole 17, barring a couple of guys, gave up. It's infectious when a team is in that mood. The Storm lost a grand final 40-0 once, with a better team than the opposition, even without Cameron Smith.

The point is we didn't lose by 50 because one or two guys weren't up to it. We were belted becsuse everybody quit. That won't be solved by finding scapegoats; it will be solved by bringing better attitudes to the club.

its not about singling people out

Yet you go on to blame Smith and Allgood.

its about getting rid of guys who have been nothing but dead wood for a long time
guys like ben smith and mitchell allgood...geez if we dont have better than those guys running around in the reggies then a) wtf are we doing with out recruitment and b) another wooden spoon coming up

Have you seen the reserve grade side? Smith and Allgood are two of our best defenders. I reckon Moimoi and Terepo were two of our worse performers, with plenty of lazy defence from the pair of them. But neither is in the team for his defence - it is a team game.

im just frustrated...for at least 3 years now its been the same rinse and repeat bullshit, belting after belting...guess I was just hoping we had a coach who could tell these guys that not even one loss would be tolerated, play every game like it is your last, and that not everyone is guaranteed a second chance.

Just dropping blokes isn't the answer. It tells everyone else the flogging wasn't their fault. Arthur will change this team, but it needs to be shit attitudes replaced by good attitudes. At the moment we have a culture of not taking responsibility - Anderson, Kearney, Stuart... each one has copped the blame for poor performances and in the minds of the playing group that lets them off the hook.

The change needs to occur with our more high profile players, starting with the ones off contract this year. Sometimes clubs (and players) just need a change.

Latest posts