What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah or Buderus?

Farah or Buderus

• Total voters

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
People have short memories when it comes to footy. The commentators who say Buderus is the best hooker ever are totally having themselves on both Walters and Elias were miles infront of him in talent and skill. Both could actually control a game from hooker, they had a much bigger impact on how the team was going in comparison to what Buderus does for the Knights. As soon as Joey is gone the knights are getting lapped by 50 Buderus does his own job and does it well but he offers nothing to the players around him. He looks good for 2 reasons. He is a player who plays his own game not really a team game and Joey makes him look good. A bit like Darren Senter who was a good player but really never added anything to the "team" game (though Buderus is no where near as bad as Senter was).

As for Farah he plays the team game always looking to put other players in better positions. His passing off the ground is second to none his short kicking game is shaping up to be first class and his vision across the park is great too. He makes a huge difference to Wests if he is missing and is just as important to the team as Marshall and Prince.

At this stage I guess Buderus deserves to keep his origin job he plays well at that level with other quality players around him. However Australia lost the last test series and if they had Farah who was in outstanding form at the end of last year who knows what would have happened.... Looking forward to the city country game where Farah should get his first shot at rep duties.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If Farah was a Queenslander, he'd play Origin ahead of Cam Smith.

The argument that he hasn't played Origin is pointless - who does Smith have to compete with for that position in the Queensland squad?

Breadman

Juniors
Buderus for mine, admittedly I haven't seen a great deal of Farah but one thing that stood out was Farahs miss on Glenn Morrison, that was possibly the worst attempt at tackle I have ever seen (besides for Simmons lovepush on Cooper)

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Breadman said:
Buderus for mine, admittedly I haven't seen a great deal of Farah but one thing that stood out was Farahs miss on Glenn Morrison, that was possibly the worst attempt at tackle I have ever seen (besides for Simmons lovepush on Cooper)

If the tackle you're talking about is the attempt where Morrison scored his try, it was Fitzhenry who missed.

Breadman

Juniors
Magpie Nick said:
If the tackle you're talking about is the attempt where Morrison scored his try, it was Fitzhenry who missed.

Apologies to Farah, thought it was a 9 on the back. What a woeful attempt, straight back to the wing or PL for him.

strewth_mate

Bench
He makes a huge difference to Wests if he is missing and is just as important to the team as Marshall and Prince.

I really think you could apply the same to Buderus. You definitely notice him when he's not there. There are some short memories in this regard as well when you consider we were actually travelling alright without Joey at one stage in 2004 and it was Buderus that was holding us together. I'm not comparing his influence to Joey's because that's a ridiculous assessment, and I know we got the spoon last year, but I think Buderus offers more to the side than you give credit for in terms of giving direction to the team and settling down the ruck area. Without him, we're headless chooks in some games, even as soon as he's taken off for a breather.

Farah takes it more upon himself to be a chief playmaker so of course he offers more to the team in that regard, he is usually the focus of their attack, not only in directing it but often completing it. Buderus does have the qualities you described in the quality passing off the ground, vision and ability to put players in better positions. Farah is just more of a complete playmaker than Buderus. He can effectively play as a third half when he gets the ball and direct the play outside of dummy half. I think in this way he is close to a halfback who fits nicely into the hooking role and uses his skills there so we're comparing two different styles of player.

He is a player who plays his own game not really a team game and Joey makes him look good.

You are probably right in saying Buderus needs someone like Joey to look good. When Joey is playing, and in form, Buderus is very very good. But the key difference is he lets Joey run the side and chimes in with his own decisions off the cuff and plays away from Joey to add some variation and worry the opposition; that works beautifully and they complement each other exceedingly well. But when Joey is missing, Buderus plays less independently than when Joey is there and plays more for the team. He appears everywhere and leads the side in attack and defense, the difference is he isn't a substitute playmaker and the people in the halves are less capable of pulling it off, so we get lapped.

Watching a game without Johns is a better indication of how much Buderus actually does for the Knights, and he does it in those instances because he doesn't have the assistance of a quality halfback. You're saying Buderus offers nothing to the team, when I don't think he could do more for the team than he does in those situations, hence his exhaustion over the last few years. His influence just isn't as apparent or pronounced because he doesn't offer the game Farah plays. The litmus test is a Johns-less Knights, and Buderus won't often win games for us through individual brilliance, but I do believe in playing his own game he steps up and does more for the team than Farah does for the Tigers. An outlandish claim, but he needs to be looked at in a different way to Farah because they can't be compared on their playmaking potency alone. The reason myself and other Knights fans like Buderus is primarily because of what he consistently does for the Knights, not flashes of individual brilliance; I mean, how could we?

Buderus' reputation really has been damaged by the way he plays in rep games, he goes missing and I hate that. I don't know if it's because he's told to play conservatively until Wing comes on, but it's damn annoying and far removed from his club efforts. As I said before, players are usually judged first off on spark, and we love seeing something exciting over something more traditional. If Farah played SOO, he would carve up, and I look forward to seeing it.

dubby

Bench
Did anyone hear what Ray Warren said on Friday night?
Words to the effect of "you realise how good Buderus is when you watch someone like Farah".

He said that after a Farah error (bad pass i think). I nearlly fell off my chair.

I voted for Farah anyway. I think Buderus is over rated and loved by the media because he's a Newcastle player and has seen Johns naked.:roll:

Alba

Coach
Buderus.. not sayin that Farah will never be good enough either because he is definitely someone i could see in a test jumper but out of the 2 of them Bedsy would have to be the one id want in my side he is a solid, consistent player ..

petetheileet

First Grade
The dummy half first reciever combo is one of the most inportant attacking aspects of the game these days. Buderus has been made look so much better his whole career through his involvement with Johns. All he has to do is run from dummy half, commit one defender, promote the ball to Johns and the rest is obvious. Admittedly so every now and then he does display some individual brilliance, however he is nowhere near as skillful and creative from dummy half as Farrah. I believe Bederus to be one of the most over-rated players in the game. I admit the guy is a good player, but there is no way he deserves the awards and honours he recieves.

strewth_mate

Bench
Exactly, which is my point, Buderus' role in the team doesn't require him to be. It is difficult to like the look of Buderus when you see the way Farah plays, he's great to watch, but as a Knights fan I get just as much out of seeing his influence on my team and his massive commitment as I do watching Farah work his magic with the Tigers.

If it's a contest on who is the most skillful with ball in hand, then Farah wins hands down. It's a difficult position to be in because, obvious bias aside, I think they're both fantastic players in their own right. Just wish it didn't involve representative duty debate because Farah more than deserves a shot.

Young Elias

Juniors
All this talk about Robbie's skills with the ball in hand makes Buderus out to be a simple, non ball playing, non creative dummy half. Which isn't the case, I've seen him do some freakish things out of dummy half.

In any case, Robbie Farrah is the man and the best 9 running around. And getting better. Try and line break assists are probably the key indicators of that as well as the high tackle count. His missed tackle count is often high as well but that will improve with experience.

Vicious

Bench
Being a Tigers fan, there is no way in the world i`d even consider swapping Farah for Buderus. Buderus is tough and physical, but Farah is daylight in front of him skill wise. Buderus has been a great player, don`t get me wrong, but i`d love someone to explain to me what Buderus has done that Luke Priddis hasn`t and couldn`t???

macavity

Referee
Kid said:
Did you see Walters and Elias? Not piss taking or arguing...just curious.

yup. both class. both were crafty. both carved up fat part-time forwards.

But I repeat.

Danny Buderus is the best dummy half I have ever seen.

RABK

Referee
Dally M medal.

I doubt Farah will get near one in his career too.

So Danny has excellent defense but Farah isn't far behind but skil lwise Farah is miles ahead of Buderus? Biggest crock of Tigers biased sh*t ever posted on these forums.

Mr Saab

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
So Danny has excellent defense but Farah isn't far behind but skil lwise Farah is miles ahead of Buderus? Biggest crock of Tigers biased sh*t ever posted on these forums.

Well now you know how some of use feel when we read some of your biased shyte. ;-)

Latest posts