What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Females and Rugby League

Engine

Juniors
Look, Im sure you are a good league fan who knows a few things about the game. But, it has been forced down our throat by inferior panellists.

Best person gets the job...I have no problem with that. Debbie Spillaine has done a marvellous job over the years.

The Footy Show is just not the show for it.

Kiki

First Grade
my wife can drink me under the table, no worries...

lucky I am man enough to handle that....

some men need to grow some gonads and harden the fcuck up.... if you measure your manhood on whether you can drink more than your mrs (or whether, god forbid, she is a bigger footy fan than you!), you mustn't have much manhood to start with....

AMEN

as ive said all along, truly confident men are never threatened by a girl that can go toe to toe with them in 'blokey' things.

eventho the perception that footy and drinking beer is for men is horrifically out dated and completely untrue.

Kiki

First Grade
Look, Im sure you are a good league fan who knows a few things about the game. But, it has been forced down our throat by inferior panellists.

Best person gets the job...I have no problem with that. Debbie Spillaine has done a marvellous job over the years.

The Footy Show is just not the show for it.

'a few things about the game'

hahahaha god you are a patronising twat.

Engine

Juniors
i guess i better stop getting paid to write about sport and being invited to go behind the scenes to cover world cup teams/country week etc etc and get back in the kitchen.

I have no issue with you writing sport articles. Totally different genre from a sport tv show.

Kiki

First Grade
my problem with this thread is that because u guys dont think Magnay is tv friendly, you have lumped her in with all women. like we are all useless and have no right to be there. that is classic sexism.

Kiki

First Grade
I have no issue with you writing sport articles. Totally different genre from a sport tv show.

GEE THANKS FOR UR PERMISSION MATE. so glad you have no issue with my line of work :roll:

can't wait till one day u turn on ur TV and see me and Sassy's heads on there . i'll wave at ya!

Kiki

First Grade
Do you agree that the BEST person should be hired for the job?

yes and i dont think they have necessarily found the right woman to be on the footy show long term yet. but at least they are trying. give Magnay a chance.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how many fans share my feelings regarding this topic.

The footy show has been pushing to have a female panelist for quite some time. I find them to be quite false. They pretend to have some knowledge about the game, but when they speak, it sounds so scripted.

I have never seen a female panellist that comes across as genuine. I switch off whenever I hear them waffle about topics. I find their presence annoying.

Women have no place on a football panel. If they want to join a panel show on television, they can go on "The View" or "Oprah".

here are some questions you should answer for yourself, no need to post the answers here. i am trying to better you.

do you struggle to connect with women on a real and meaningful level?

are you afraid of women?

do you have superiority issues about women?

do you trust women in general?

what influences have you had in your life that may have played a part in the way you feel about women? (your father for example, your siblings, mother, relatives, family friends, teachers, friends major ones in descending order)

Look. I find no trouble in hearing a girl's opinion. Man, girls love to talk. They need to speak some huge number of words per day, like 15,000 its been estimated (some times its internal).

I have no trouble with women on the footy show, etc. Why do you? Its ok to say you dont prefer it, but to forthrightly insult women in general because a few of them want to speak about footy?

I mean you gotta look around at a game...there are hundreds and hundreds of women in attendance. Girls follow football too. They didn't always go in large numbers. Now they do.

Hey, the same kind of thing happened with pubs. You may not be old enough to remember, and it was before my time too....no chicks allowed. Whenever one walked in apparently, it upset the moods of the men, who go there to get away from the wife. Now pubs have just evolved into pick up joints. But there you go...wherever men and women are, they interact.

There is nothing wrong with girls. They are just wired differently. Which may explain why you think those women are talking crap.....you are not appreciating them and their opinions. Many are hot and intelligent. But please dont discrimate others in such a way - even if they are not hot or intelligent. The world is for everyone these days. There is no segregation.

Such is the changing face of footy.

Embrace it. Accept it.

Women act more like woman when men act more like men. If you are ever going to truly appreciate a girl, you gotta be a real man.

Its a development thing, and not something that people should pick on you for.

Last edited:

Engine

Juniors
For the record, I think women are very skillful in debating various issues on television. Im yet to see a women pull it off on a blokey show like the footy show. It will always come across as a token gesture to have a woman around.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Look I got no problem with women on Rugby League shows or actually on the game. As long as they make sense, infact more sense than Gould, Daley and Ikin. :D

Just dont get Wilson on there. So much negativity and her tone of voice just bores me.

I like that Emily Barker doing her reports on the Sunday Footy Show, makes perfect sense, I hope they keep her on the show more often.

tigr3

Juniors
I do think that the best person should get the job, and Magney at the moment is. I cannot think of anyone who should be replacing her, male or female.

Sterlo should be back full time, he is the only semi normal one. Half the stuff Magnay said last night was generic things you would hear in a sketch about footy like "yeah they will be desperate to win that" or "he'll really want to play well in that game". I agree about the chick who reports on the sunday footy show, she is good.

Kiki

First Grade
i dont understand why men think they instantly have more credibility when it comes to footy. unless they are ex players or coaches, they don't. having a penis doesn't automatically equal footy wisdom. it is so arrogant.

me on the other hand, its either assumed i'm not a 'real fan' or that i just wanna screw the players. its like i have to justify my love for league constantly and it's such bullsh*t.

Fair enough, but i think you are mis-interpreting my viewpoint. Intelligent women do not threaten me, no matter what the subject, my girlfriend will be a doctor very shortly and my sister knows as much about footy as anyone i know. In just dont think the media beat up about the sexism of footy is necessary, in fact i think it is harmful to the image of the game.

The guy is onto something. Maybe you should listen.

Women should be able to participate, and surely, after a few short term raised eyebrows - if only because its new - people should just get over it

Last edited:

Engine

Juniors
Exactly right tigr3. She was making a lot of generic statements. They were not delivered naturally.
I don't mind female reporters either. I think it gives the footy a sense of excitement to hear a positive reports about game facts. Christy Malthouse does a wonderful job.
But, I still say that the footy show format is not suited towards having a female panellist. It just doesn't gel. If one does, I'd applaud it.

Flapper

First Grade
i dont understand why men think they instantly have more credibility when it comes to footy. unless they are ex players or coaches, they don't. having a penis doesn't automatically equal footy wisdom. it is so arrogant.

me on the other hand, its either assumed i'm not a 'real fan' or that i just wanna screw the players. its like i have to justify my love for league constantly and it's such bullsh*t.

The whole "you have to have played the game to know the game" is utter sh*t. I played 2 seasons of juniors, but have watched footy my entire life, and I KNOW I know more than most of the Channel 9 football staff. I also have the ability to not be a wet lettuce leaf fence sitting callow f**khead, unlike Channel 9 football staff. It's usually trotted out when people want to complain about a woman talking footy, but actually don't want to say "i don't much like that woman talking footy"

Some people just don't learn, or are incapable of mind-opening.

Kiki

First Grade
omg Engine yeh coz the male commentators never say anything generic. PFFFT.

'you cant give away that many penalties and win'

'they have to chance their arm here'

'lots of bodies in motion'

shall i go on??

tigr3

Juniors

I think you are over-thinking it, This whole thread that thought hasn't crossed my mind, you sound like you have a complex about it. Like i have said previously, i think its a non-issue between men and women. If women like footy, power to them i say, but on the flip side, if men wanna watch the footy with their mates thats cool too. I dont think there is too many people that would think you are not a 'real fan' cause your a woman. Bandwagoners... they are the ones that aren't 'real fans'.

Kiki

First Grade
i am not over thinking it. ever since we started Oh Errol we have come across this attutide. we have got more positive feedback than anything else, but there is always that 'what do chicks know about footy' and 'u just wanna shag a player'.

to the point where we get asked it in interviews. if we were 3 guys writing about footy our credibility would never be questioned.

i dont have a complex, i am just stating what i've experienced.