What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

saints4ever

First Grade
Broncos. Makes sense. Gets to stay in QLD. Gets paid 2 million a year through the thoroughbreds and gets listed as 600k

"I've always respected Wayne Bennett as s coach"

possm

Coach
Why not the Dragons?

Quinlan to quit and sign with the Cutters on a better deal.
Farrell to retire

Roberts signs for 3 years at 400k per season.

Over to you Doust, get it done.

Mr Red

First Grade
Why not the Dragons?

Farrell to retire

Roberts would be looking at 600k rather than 400k...

saints4ever

First Grade
Why not the Dragons?

Farrell to retire

Because 400k won't get him to move.

600 plus and you're talking. He'll go to the donkeys

possm

Coach
Because 400k won't get him to move.

600 plus and you're talking. He'll go to the donkeys

It's been reported that Roberts was on 300k at the Titans.

Surely the Broncos have not got 600k left in their cap. If it is a combo between cap and 3rd party in the deal, why can't Doust hit up WIN Corp. for a 3rd Party deal on this occasion? Or maybe one of the Dragons fromer sponsors e.g. Penfolds.

possm

Coach
On a side issue, I think it is about time that the NRL put an official salary cap value on each player registered to play in the NRL - not the player’s actual salary although I would welcome that.

Make things more transparent!

The Nick

Bench
Why not the Dragons?

Farrell to retire

That simple hey...

Point = missed

Not OV! :sarcasm:

On a side issue, I think it is about time that the NRL put an official salary cap value on each player registered to play in the NRL - not the player?s actual salary although I would welcome that.

Make things more transparent!

A player's value is determined by demand. How can the NRL decide what the demand for a player is until clubs start offering money?

I don't see how it would even make a difference. NRL declares player A is worth $500k. Raiders offer $500k, Titans offer $500k, Roosters offer $500k plus a brown paper bag.

Mr Red

First Grade
A player's value is determined by demand. How can the NRL decide what the demand for a player is until clubs start offering money?

I don't see how it would even make a difference. NRL declares player A is worth $500k. Raiders offer $500k, Titans offer $500k, Roosters offer $500k plus a brown paper bag.

its makes a HUGE difference if the player has a notional value of $500k as defined by the NRL, however based on contracts already registered the club doesnt have 500k left in their cap.
you can throw all the brown paper bags into the equation you want but the deal wont get registered if the club doesnt have the spare cap dollars to cover the players notional value..
Brown paper bags only come into the equation after the notional value is met... hence the drama with Burgess at souths at the moment..
notional value is determined based on number of first grade games, rep games etc... its a flawed process i agree, however its applied equally to all teams.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
That simple hey...

Not OV! :sarcasm:

I agree it won't make a huge difference, but it should make some difference e.g. recent NRL values on Farrah and Burgess caused Farrah to stay put and Walker to be released.

If a Club only has 200k left under the cap and is looking to sign - using your example a player worth 500k - and decides a 200k salary with a 300k 3rd party payment will do the trick; well this would not be on.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I agree with you Red. If the Nrl value a player at 500k then you can offer him the world on top . But if you haven't got 500k left on your cap ....you can't sign him