What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings officially offered to rival clubs

murraymob

Coach
i watched the Penrith toyota cup team on the weekend...

their attacking structure and organisation looked better than our first grade team...Pricey should be embarrassed..
and young jennings slayed them, he could turn out better then Michael.. would love to get both brothers in a package deal :)

there is a third brother that is better than michael and george .Robert played ball this year

Bring back choc

Juniors
Our management team are inept. I won't go any further, it pains me so.

Well they were good... When they signed Bennett and allowed the coach to bring in players we needed.. Boyd, smith, costigan. But without a decent coach it's obvious the management are amateurs.

Mr Red

First Grade
Smith and Costigan were let go after the GF win while Bennett was still in charge. So I guess that makes Bennett inept as well?
i think it makes gasnier inept as they were let go to cater for his back-end deal which never happened.

plus smith was very injury prone - was hardly on the field for us so i can understand that.
costigan they actually wanted to keep, but because his salary was only around 100k as we basically threw him a career lifeline. after getting back into the origin fold his price would have increased around 2.5 times that amount so we had no choice but to let him leave... i know Bennett didnt want him to leave.

i think it makes gasnier inept as they were let go to cater for his back-end deal which never happened.

plus smith was very injury prone - was hardly on the field for us so i can understand that.
costigan they actually wanted to keep, but because his salary was only around 100k as we basically threw him a career lifeline. after getting back into the origin fold his price would have increased around 2.5 times that amount so we had no choice but to let him leave... i know Bennett didnt want him to leave.

So I guess my point is that it's not solely Price or Doust's fault that Boyd, Smith, Costigan and Gaz are no longer with us. We had a squad which was at the time the envy of most other clubs, and the salary cap system ensured that it couldn't continue.
What we're seeing now is no different to how winning a premiership has affected other clubs in the modern era (except for the Melbourne cheats that is - and the record books say they haven't won a premiership since 99 anyway).

TheRev

First Grade
Not really, Manly have retained the absolute bulk of their squad, including 2 halves worth 600k+ each, Brisbane havent won in a while, but they retain the vast majority of their stars too.. its all about having players that a) fly under the radar or b) are willing to play for 10-15% less because they are playing in a club they love with a coach they think can take them to a premiership.

The Back-End Gasnier deal we all knew would come back to bite us hard, but thankfully we managed to jag a 2010 win, and he also retired early before we had to pay him the full brunt of $450k a season that from memory was his contract.

Not really, Manly have retained the absolute bulk of their squad, including 2 halves worth 600k+ each, Brisbane havent won in a while, but they retain the vast majority of their stars too.. its all about having players that a) fly under the radar or b) are willing to play for 10-15% less because they are playing in a club they love with a coach they think can take them to a premiership.

The Back-End Gasnier deal we all knew would come back to bite us hard, but thankfully we managed to jag a 2010 win, and he also retired early before we had to pay him the full brunt of $450k a season that from memory was his contract.

But Manly had a couple of leaner years after 2008, before winning again last year, and are now struggling to keep their team together again.
And Brisbane - we all know they continue to have massive advantages over every other club in a number of areas (hopefully that will be addressed by the addition of another QLD/Brisbane team).
If you look at other premiership winners over the past 10 years - The Panthers, Dogs and Roosters - they also had a down period after their success.
Sure it doesn't have to happen, but its more likely than not given the effects of the salary cap.

possm

Coach
I believe we have the 2012 / 2013 cap to buy who we want. We just do not have the cash and thats why Price bought so many finge players. However, only a few of the fringe players have proved to be any value to the dragons first grade team and in fact some are clogging up the Cutters team preventing the development of some potential talant that will be picked up by other clubs next year. My suggestion;

1. Dowst and his fellow administrators should devote more time to securing additional funds for the football club. It's very sad that we can't recruit to our cap limit this year even though we are desperately in need of a quality right centre, a good halfback and a couple of brutal forwards. if necessary, conduct a fund raiser asap.

2. Sign Jennings for the remainder of this year. Try and do a deal with Penrith - cash and Kemp for Jennings.

3. Sign Williams or the Stewart Brothers for next year.

4. Trial K Sanley and King at halfback (off the bench) to determine if we need to buy a halfback for next season.

5. Let go all the failed fringe players who's contracts are up at the end of this year.

6. Hornby and Fein should be encouraged to retire at seasons end in order to free up cap for a new halfback.

st.phil

Bench
sweet jesus

I believe we have the 2012 / 2013 cap to buy who we want. We just do not have the cash and thats why Price bought so many finge players. However, only a few of the fringe players have proved to be any value to the dragons first grade team and in fact some are clogging up the Cutters team preventing the development of some potential talant that will be picked up by other clubs next year. My suggestion;

1. Dowst and his fellow administrators should devote more time to securing additional funds for the football club. It's very sad that we can't recruit to our cap limit this year even though we are desperately in need of a quality right centre, a good halfback and a couple of brutal forwards. if necessary, conduct a fund raiser asap.

2. Sign Jennings for the remainder of this year. Try and do a deal with Penrith - cash and Kemp for Jennings.

4. Trial K Sanley and King at halfback (off the bench) to determine if we need to buy a halfback for next season.

5. Let go all the failed fringe players who's contracts are up at the end of this year.

6. Hornby and Fein should be encouraged to retire at seasons end in order to free up cap for a new halfback.

Mr Red

First Grade
So I guess my point is that it's not solely Price or Doust's fault that Boyd, Smith, Costigan and Gaz are no longer with us. We had a squad which was at the time the envy of most other clubs, and the salary cap system ensured that it couldn't continue.
What we're seeing now is no different to how winning a premiership has affected other clubs in the modern era (except for the Melbourne cheats that is - and the record books say they haven't won a premiership since 99 anyway).

no i dont agree, sure we maybe had to let those players leave at the time, however that is no excuse for not taking the NUMEROUS opportunites we have had to rebuild and strategically recruit for 2012 and 2013 that we have already missed..

Mr Red

First Grade

i didnt know Doust used the nickname "possm" on this forum...

Slippery Morris

First Grade

Kemp was at the Warriors before he came to the Saints and Cleary did not want him then, why would he now? If Saints can get Jennings it would be a brilliant buy. No one else needed imo. WTF are they waiting for. They can get him at a bargain price to if Panthers share the cost.

timsmith

Juniors
so i guess my point is that it's not solely price or doust's fault that boyd, smith, costigan and gaz are no longer with us. We had a squad which was at the time the envy of most other clubs, and the salary cap system ensured that it couldn't continue.
What we're seeing now is no different to how winning a premiership has affected other clubs in the modern era (except for the melbourne cheats that is - and the record books say they haven't won a premiership since 99 anyway).

manly?

64 Dragon

Coach
Kemp was at the Warriors before he came to the Saints and Cleary did not want him then, why would he now? If Saints can get Jennings it would be a brilliant buy. No one else needed imo. WTF are they waiting for. They can get him at a bargain price to if Panthers share the cost.

Gould has given no indication that Jennings is going anywhere. (except back to Windsor Wolves)

Latest posts