What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moylan, Finucane, Graham

Kilkenny

Coach
Have to admit surprised coach Fitzgibbon has stuck solid with Matt Moylan. He is done and dusted. Good luck to him, but how he manoeuvred a new two year deal last year was astonishing. In order to go forward time to move on from Matt Moylan.

Quigs

Immortal
Yepp time to cut Moylan, cast him adrift.

You only have to watch when the camera pans in close on his face after he misses a crucial tackle. Usually one of many a game these days. That look.... the look of ..... 'shit I've f**ked it up again'

I believe he himself knows he is cooked.

bluefox68

Staff member
It feels like Fitzy is willing to write off 2023 for the sake of not offending ‘the old 3’…

If so, this is really unexpected - I honestly thought that he was better than that.

Blues Riff

Bench
The years maloney played for you didn't moyza get the win every time?
Not sure it was every time, but there were a few arsey tries in there somewhere. James never won us a comp either, he had to be moved on, but he did mentor a couple of young halves that went on to become quite useful.
Your problem is, nobody wants to leave. The lifestyle's too good. Sorro and a few others have the right idea - live in the Shire and play for the Premiers.
Anyhow, the South of France beckons for Moyza. Au Revoir.

DJDL

First Grade
htf did he get a 2yr extension?

He's gone to shit because he's safe again. not fighting for a contract.

It was a gamble for sure but, based on his form at the time, it was not unreasonable to expect at least another year of quality from him, before being eased out in the final year and bringing Trindall through.

Sadly though, it's becoming increasingly obvious that age has wearied him.
I don't think it's anything to do with him feeling safe and not trying.
Quite the contrary, I think he's trying too hard but just doesn't have the legs any more.

As maligned as Moylan has been in some quarters around here, we've had some quality output from him while he's been here.

The only time he was an issue was when we were forced to play him at fullback, as a result of some prima-donna announcing, in pre-season, he was outta here to try his hand in another country, in a completely foreign sport.

Special K

Coach
It feels like Fitzy is willing to write off 2023 for the sake of not offending ‘the old 3’…

If so, this is really unexpected - I honestly thought that he was better than that.
I get what you are saying but I disagree. Fitz is imo backing himself to "fix" the team. He has an attack that for more games than not "works". IMO he is backing himself to tweak it to work against the better teams. He is saying I know what I have and I think I can get more from it.

Not saying I agree but just the vibe I get. I also wouldn't be shocked if there are some small scale changes to the bench last minute.

I would personally like to see us tap one or two of the "old 3" on the shoulder and bring in some points of difference. Graham is gone end of the season. Moylan I think has a chance to be tapped on the shoulder before his deal is up. I could see DF getting it next year. Not ideal but that is the reality of where we are.

It was a gamble for sure but, based on his form at the time, it was not unreasonable to expect at least another year of quality from him, before being eased out in the final year and bringing Trindall through.

Sadly though, it's becoming increasingly obvious that age has wearied him.
I don't think it's anything to do with him feeling safe and not trying.
Quite the contrary, I think he's trying too hard but just doesn't have the legs any more.

As maligned as Moylan has been in some quarters around here, we've had some quality output from him while he's been here.

The only time he was an issue was when we were forced to play him at fullback, as a result of some prima-donna announcing, in pre-season, he was outta here to try his hand in another country, in a completely foreign sport.
I look at value for money over time.

I'm not saying he's been all bad but for someone who had all the wraps in the world, hit origin once, played for his country, yet can't take the reigns of the team when other key individuals are out. You have to ask some serious questions.

He's not a match winner, but has been on match winner money. Maybe not now but he was on overs for ages and hasn't reached any level of consistency or hype that surrounded him.

misses a shit tonne of tackles, mistakes under pressure, good for a penalty when we least need it and does fa general play kicking.

it's time to move on.

I agree after last year, another year would have been appropriate. But 2?

Can't believe Trindall hasn't given the middle finger and walked out the door.

I look at value for money over time.

I'm not saying he's been all bad but for someone who had all the wraps in the world, hit origin once, played for his country, yet can't take the reigns of the team when other key individuals are out. You have to ask some serious questions.

He's not a match winner, but has been on match winner money. Maybe not now but he was on overs for ages and hasn't reached any level of consistency or hype that surrounded him.

misses a shit tonne of tackles, mistakes under pressure, good for a penalty when we least need it and does fa general play kicking.

it's time to move on.

I agree after last year, another year would have been appropriate. But 2?

Can't believe Trindall hasn't given the middle finger and walked out the door.
On Trindall I keep thinking, will read he has left us, to get an opportunity elsewhere, he is not 18, he will want his chance.
Not the odds 10 minutes now and then

Weaponhead

Coach
I get what you are saying but I disagree. Fitz is imo backing himself to "fix" the team. He has an attack that for more games than not "works". IMO he is backing himself to tweak it to work against the better teams. He is saying I know what I have and I think I can get more from it.

Not saying I agree but just the vibe I get. I also wouldn't be shocked if there are some small scale changes to the bench last minute.

I would personally like to see us tap one or two of the "old 3" on the shoulder and bring in some points of difference. Graham is gone end of the season. Moylan I think has a chance to be tapped on the shoulder before his deal is up. I could see DF getting it next year. Not ideal but that is the reality of where we are.

I suspect that you are spot on. Coaches will back themselves to improve players and improve the team.

What seems like a lack of action from the outside is certainly not a lack of action inside. As fans, we have no control over how the team performs, so when they play poorly we want to see changes because we feel like something is being done. We want to see consequences.

Completely agree that the old players are not delivering. Wade is in his last year, but Moyza needs to be let go. He has completely lost his legs. Dale needs his role reshaped to accommodate lower impact.

Special K

Coach
I suspect that you are spot on. Coaches will back themselves to improve players and improve the team.

What seems like a lack of action from the outside is certainly not a lack of action inside. As fans, we have no control over how the team performs, so when they play poorly we want to see changes because we feel like something is being done. We want to see consequences.

Completely agree that the old players are not delivering. Wade is in his last year, but Moyza needs to be let go. He has completely lost his legs. Dale needs his role reshaped to accommodate lower impact.
Yeah I think it is a case of the coach thinks he can crack the code vs thinking he has to make changes. Look at dipshit super cheque book I mean coach Robbo. Cutting and changing his spine multiple times. You don't win comps doing that mid season - not that I think we are winning anything this year. Fitz right or wrong is backing his plan and cattle. I don't think there is anyone in our top squad Fitz hasn't signed. I get the addition by subtraction with Wade and Dale but I take it he is thinking we take away 400 games plus of experience to a young team what do we have? You can make the argument we aren't getting experience and leadership from Wade/DF sure but that is what he is banking on lifting I guess.

Again before anyone jumps on me not saying I agree. Just saying that is the reason he isn't moving so much around. Be real also - Connor Tracey played a shit ton last year and we all complained he isn't a centre. Go buy a real centre and move Sifa if that is the desire.

Lots we need to work out.

Frenzy.

Post Whore

The thing is so many fans want change for change sake and are basically selfish wanting all these changes so they can get the immediate gratification from the vicarious success they feel through a team that has colours that appealed to them as 4 year olds.

If the changes come and they fail the so called fans who want them will just turn harder on the coach - whoever the coach is because they'll be thinking "we can't be wrong"

I think one of Fitz's successes so far is closing the outside noise out and sticking to his guns.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Wade only gets to 300 if we make the 3rd week of the finals (which is highly unlikely) so we should stop gifting him games.
If he doesn't get to 300 this year how do we know he won't re sign on minimum wage. PLay for the jets and get the odd call including one for a big home game. I'd be OK with that.

Latest posts