What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name two players from the Rugby World Cup that you would love to see in the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the S15 salary cap going down to $4.1mill in 2013 and the NRL one expected to rise to around $5.5-6mill do you think we will see more RU players defecting? I guess the Int payments will keep the top 25 in their game but for the rest it will be open season I would have thought? If I was a gun 16 year old RU player and a NRL team came sniffing I know where I'd be going!

We really need to be building the value of Int RL so rep players can earn $50k each rep game outside the salary cap.

Squatdog

Juniors
With the S15 salary cap going down to $4.1mill in 2013 and the NRL one expected to rise to around $5.5-6mill do you think we will see more RU players defecting? I guess the Int payments will keep the top 25 in their game but for the rest it will be open season I would have thought? If I was a gun 16 year old RU player and a NRL team came sniffing I know where I'd be going!

We really need to be building the value of Int RL so rep players can earn $50k each rep game outside the salary cap.

Probably not.

If the players are after more money, there's way bigger offers from French and Japanese Rugby clubs for top players.

crocodile

Bench
The cap is only being reduced by 400K and limited to 110K per player. Won't make much difference. The top line players recieve topups via the ARU. There has been talk of reducing the topups from 50 players down to about 30. That's old news. I don't think the NRL would be seriously interested in those players deemed not good enough to warrant a topup.

Last edited:

ozjet1

The 13 from France. The bloke looked strong and would make an awaome centre in league.

Aurélien Rougerie

a strong muthaf**ka. he was a handful whenever I watched France play. even gave a fresh $BW the slip in the final 10 mins of the final. he's 31 though so not many years of value in him. an outside centre so would fit in perfectly as a centre or winger in out game.

their captain was great too - Dusautoir - but forwards play in rugby is totally different to that in league. i remember a few years ago Souths tried to get Sebastian 'Caveman' Chabal to convert. Dunno why....well actually i do. He's was a big and fit muthaf**ka with a body built like a league forward, and he had marketability. But a rugby forward playing league just wouldnt work. He turned it down. LOL @ 5ouff$.

sebastien-chabal.jpg

Last edited:

WAPAU

Juniors
Souths couldnt afford him either. The money that bloke makes off the field in france is huge.

Squatdog

Juniors
Rene Ranger. All Day.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_XiRlmSF7Mw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_XiRlmSF7Mw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Loudstrat

Coach
The Lone Ranger would have more chance of cracking the NRL.

Union is just too slow to prepare anyone for Rugby League.

POPEYE

Coach
I actually tried to watch the NZ/France game but my missus had enough of me yelling 'pass the f**king ball' and turned it off.

I said Union would make anyone swear and she said 'why did you did you start watching that f**king shit in the first place?'

Loudstrat

Coach
Did you notice that the only times they spread the ball were the only times they made ground?

None of the players did. Thick, dumb amatuers.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I don't mind union, just wish games did not rely so much on penalties.

On topic - I think the problem with picking suitable players from union to league relates to the lack of creativity in the game. Very hard to see which players have the agility and skill as they spend more time putting mid field bombs.

Rod

Bench
Blokes like Kaino and Read would go well in League because they are such strong ball runners and attract defenders. I guess it depends on what sort of second-rower the particular NRL club going after a union player would want. If all you want is a tackle machine then union probably isn't the place to look because a tackle count of around 20 is considered high for a forward in union. That's not to say union forwards do less work, it's just that union forwards are less focussed on numbers in the tackle and more emphasis is placed on actually getting to the breakdown and contesting possession.

A lot of bias and misinformation in this thread and as usual the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Anyone with a brain could see that the best athletes in union are freakish and most would go well in league with a bit of training, and vice versa. There are specific skill sets in both sports that would take a bit of learning but as they say, class is class and a bloke like Brad Thorn was able to learn the fundamental skills for a union forward such as scrums and lineouts.

In terms of seeing what union backs are capable of, admittedly international union is probably not the place to start as while the best players are on display, often international matches turn into a grind and the outside backs don't get as many chances. Super Rugby is a better place for spotting outside back talent because it's still the best talent from the 3 best Southern nations but the games are a lot more open and free-flowing. Guys like Ioane and Dagg see a crapload more ball and both look absolutely fantastic at that level.

Did you notice that the only times they spread the ball were the only times they made ground?

I think that professionalism has stifled Union. I've watched sweet f**k-all in the last 5 years but what I have seen has been tedious. Blokes piling on for 5 or so minutes to move the ball 5 metres while the outside backs try to look interested might give the purists a raging boner but it doesn't do much for anyone else.

I followed it back in the early 1970's for 4 or 5 years, back when Ray Price was playing for the "other" Parramatta. It was much, much, much better to watch back then.

aqua_duck

Coach

How much do you currently make a year? You could probably make 10 times that if you started playing rugby and showed those amateurs how it's done

Squatdog

Juniors

'Amateurs' who can potentially earn a million per season playing club Rugby in France?