What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Connie Kreski

Juniors
I get really annoyed when my (Melbournian) brothers-in-law keep referring to it as 'that ground they're building for the Victory'.

I get really annoyed when my (Melbournian) brothers-in-law keep referring to it as 'that ground they're building for the Victory'.

Just remind them the stadium was being built when the Victory were staying at Telstra dome... they might have pushed up the capacity, but it was getting built with or without them!

TC Lilo Vaisau

Juniors
good stuff...got my membership but since i live in brisbane i'll only be able to attend one game...cant wait for it to open

roopy

Referee
bubblething.jpg

bubble2.jpg

bubble3.jpg

bubble4.jpg

bubble5.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very jealous, I wished the WA Govt with all its billions cared about sporting facilities as much as the Vic govt!

MsStorm

Bench
Thanks for those pics Roopy...the stadium is certainly coming on.
Of course the last time it saw it was when Storm played the Wariors in that dreaded final:shock:

The roof is being transported from different parts of Aust. during the middle of the night because of traffic congestion, etc.

The stadium, itself will be such an attraction for tourists, never mind the Storm and Victory supporters...can't wait.

Of course a lot of you would know, but where its situated, there are so many eateries, hotels, shops, so close to rail and trams and simply full of people.

MsStorm

Bench
yeah, why would the victory want to move into a smaller ground ?

Once Victory supporters get a taste of the new stadium, they won't want to back to the Dome.

I was again reminded of how bad either soccer or rugby league looks when played on an afl ground when I went to the Aust/Eng rwlc game.....it just ridiculous.

Did you guys know that the Dome was originally intended to be built as a rectangular stadium, but somehow the afl sunk their teeth into the contract and now they will own the stadium in the not too distant future.

It was never going to be a rectangular stadium, but it was built with retractable seats to change the configuration for sports played on a rectangle pitch. They moved them in once for a Storm v Broncos game at the Dome - the story is that they siezed up because they were never used, but I'm not sure how accurate that story is or if they just can't be arsed moving them!

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Once Victory supporters get a taste of the new stadium, they won't want to back to the Dome.

I was again reminded of how bad either soccer or rugby league looks when played on an afl ground when I went to the Aust/Eng rwlc game.....it just ridiculous.

Did you guys know that the Dome was originally intended to be built as a rectangular stadium, but somehow the afl sunk their teeth into the contract and now they will own the stadium in the not too distant future.

The Dome looked ok to me even though it was only 3/4 full.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
It was never going to be a rectangular stadium, but it was built with retractable seats to change the configuration for sports played on a rectangle pitch. They moved them in once for a Storm v Broncos game at the Dome - the story is that they siezed up because they were never used, but I'm not sure how accurate that story is or if they just can't be arsed moving them!

They did that as well at an Aus V NZ test, but they stopped doing that as apparently they deemed it too dangerous and that it needs to be fixed.
I doubt they will fix it with the new rectangular stadium being built though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
went to that game when the stands were out and it wasn't too bad. No where near as good as a proper Rl stadium but not too bad. I think the WACA is the worse ground I have ever seen RL at, miles from the action and the pitch raises towards the middle so it seems like you are below the players!

Good news in Perth is that the new Govt is moving away from a new multi purpose stadium and is looking more and more likely to redevelop the two existing ones.

Steyger

Juniors
LOL at the bloke that said the dome was going to be a rectangular stadium before the AFL got their "teeth into it". If it wasn't for the AFL, there would be no stadium at docklands. AFL games would produce at least 85% of the income into the stadium.

westie

Bench
LOL at the bloke that said the dome was going to be a rectangular stadium before the AFL got their "teeth into it". If it wasn't for the AFL, there would be no stadium at docklands. AFL games would produce at least 85% of the income into the stadium.

Well it would, being a round stadium and unsuitable for real sports?

Latest posts