What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Alex28

Coach
It’s about time Wayne got f**ked by the Knights rather than consistently the other way around.

So, if you were a player negotiating with O’Sullivan and Bennett and thinking about joining the Dolphins, why would you given the leaked messages to Fox this afternoon? How can you trust them?

Loose Cannon

Bench

Woosh

Head Moderator
Kalyn Ponga has revealed how a “brutal” meeting with Wayne Bennett convinced him to reject the straight-shooting Dolphins coach and ink a $6 million extension with the Knights.
Ponga ended months of speculation on Wednesday by signing a five-year deal to remain in Newcastle until the end of 2027, in the process ruling out becoming the Dolphins’ marquee signing for their NRL debut in 2023.
Expansion newcomers the Dolphins had the Knights superstar on their hit list and Bennett ramped-up his pursuit three weeks ago when the super coach formally met with the Ponga camp in Sydney.

But the Dolphins’ poaching raid sensationally collapsed when a stunned Ponga walked out of the meeting, looked his father Andre in the eye and realised his future lay in Newcastle.

Bennett hit Ponga right between the eyes. He challenged him like he has never been challenged before. The seven-time premiership-winner, the greatest coach in the game’s history, openly wondered whether Ponga was committed to greatness.
The nail in the coffin came when Bennett, who coached Newcastle for three seasons in 2012-14, delivered a no-nonsense critique of the Knights. It was a spear to the heart of Ponga.
“He was pretty stern with me and honest with me,” Ponga told News Corp of the Bennett meeting.

“He was pretty forward. He doesn’t have time to beat around the bush or tell you what you want to hear.
“I just don’t think his perception of the club is what I think it is here. I walked away from that saying there are a lot of people working hard at the Knights, I am challenging myself, the boys are challenging me.
“Wayne, from everything I have heard, is the best. He is a great coach. But there are all these people working hard in this club that I didn’t want to walk away from.
“I knew (his final decision) after meeting Wayne. I had to wait to see Wayne.
“For me, the way we have always operated, you put all the options on the table.
“That moment was big in terms of seeing Wayne, in terms of how I was going to walk out of that meeting.
“He was all about getting me to play my best footy. I just thought, ‘Where can I do that? I think I can do it here’.
“He is not in these walls. He doesn’t know what is going on in this club.
“For me, I know what is going on here. That is why I stayed.”
The 72-year-old Bennett made no apologies for his candid discussions with Ponga.
“I have no regrets about how the meeting played out,” he said.

“We had some discussions with Ponga and it was basically up to him whether he wanted to stay at Newcastle or come to the Dolphins.
“It was a simple decision really.
“Kalyn knew how we felt. I wanted him to play for the Dolphins, so he could make his decision with no grey areas.
“What Kalyn wanted to decide was out of our control really.
“We have to be realistic. We aren’t looking at third and fourth-rate players. We are going for the elite players and it’s always going to be hard to get a Kalyn Ponga out of his incumbent club, but it doesn’t mean you don’t ask the question.
“Nothing changes for us. We will move forward and there’s still another six months to sign players.”
Remarkably, Andre Ponga still has a text message on his phone from Bennett from a decade ago. It was when Ponga was 14 and Bennett told Andre that if the family was true to itself, his son would have a long career.

On Wednesday, after intense speculation, the family announced their future lay in Newcastle, not at the Dolphins. It was genuinely a family decision. It always is with the Pongas.

“For me it was pretty cool to sit down with Wayne,” Ponga said.
“I have spoken to him maybe twice in the last eight years. When I was a young kid coming through the Broncos I missed him.

“To sit down and be face-to-face with him, you could tell he is a good coach. The meeting itself was pretty surreal.”

Not enough to get Ponga over the line, though. The Queensland State of Origin star revealed he was leaning towards leaving before returning for pre-season, such was his frustration with the state of flux at the Knights.
He was preparing to play with another halfback following the departure of Mitchell Pearce. He has already had a handful of coaches in his young career.
He wanted some stability.

“Before pre-season I was definitely leaning towards going,” Ponga said.
“There is a lot more that goes into making a decision on your future. There is a lot more that goes into five years. The club hasn’t been stable - new coach, halfback on the way out, high performance unit there has been a lot of change.”
Ponga’s fresh five-year deal will keep him at the Knights until the end of 2027. It is worth in excess of $6 million, potentially much more if the salary cap rises.
There are no player options or get-out clauses. Ponga is committed to the Knights and they are committed to him.
“The vision here is more for me,” Ponga said.

“It is going to be good to have all the rugby union and other questions after games out the window.
“I have worked hard for the last four years to get to this position. I want to work hard for the next five years … to win a comp.”

Silent Knight

First Grade
Looks like Fox Sports wont let the Ponga stuff go. Kinda funny now because it looks like Andre Ponga did the Dolphins dirty here haha.

View attachment 60495

That article has the following in it…

“One of the most respected coaches in rugby league’s history”

Not respected in Newcastle.

Here we just know him as The Deadbeat Dad.

“Ohhhhh but he’s a father figure to his players” they say…

Too bad he’s not a father figure to, you know, his actual kids. His daughter loathes him.

Time to put that old skeleton back in his closet.

Also Andre Ponga deserves a statue right near Joey and Chief out the front of Marathon. They can place his statue facing north and he’s flipping the bird.

Jono078

Referee
6m or 5m? It's a solid difference..

I really do like how Wayne was brutally honest with Ponga because it may have given him a wake up call, but it's especially great he feels he can reach those heights here - at least that is the grand hope we all have and the next few years don't look like a guy coasting his way to earn 1m+ per year.

aqua_duck

Coach

I really do like how Wayne was brutally honest with Ponga because it may have given him a wake up call, but it's especially great he feels he can reach those heights here - at least that is the grand hope we all have and the next few years don't look like a guy coasting his way to earn 1m+ per year.
Paul Kent is a classic, apparently knights should be concerned that Ponga didn't drink the Bennett koolaid and sign with the Dolphins, can't win with that moron

perverse

Referee

I think the figure is 6m or north thereof when you bundle in TPAs, etc. At least that's how they made it sound on NRL 360.

Safe enough to assume it's around 5m under the cap with sweeteners on top raising another ~$200k a year value.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
brilliant!! That's all you could ever hope to hear from the kid, and a massive f**k you to Bennett.

Note to Wayne - never rubbish your competitor it only makes you look bad. If you have merit then talk yourself up, not talk your competition down. Might be a good coach ( debatable ) but he's a lousy salesman.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It is a credit to Kalyn and Andre that they wanted a reason to leave the club. What I mean is they were probably looking at staying but wanted to hear from Wayne why he believes KP should leave and for them to be convinced of it. Instead Kalyn heard the club he loves get shit on by the man who dismantled it. I think they left the meeting pissed off.
Cannot wait till we play them next year.

Yosh

Coach
I hope we get in some game managers into the spine or at 13. Let Ponga and Clifford play off instinct and have someone to control the game, slow or speed it up when we need to and direct the team around the paddock. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head but Jackson Hastings is looking like a top player.

macavity

Referee
I hope we get in some game managers into the spine or at 13. Let Ponga and Clifford play off instinct and have someone to control the game, slow or speed it up when we need to and direct the team around the paddock. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head but Jackson Hastings is looking like a top player.

Jock Madden a pure 7 and have to be a chance to come back. Whether he is an upgrade on Clune right now is the question.

Knight76

Juniors
The imberciles going on about how it was poor form from the Pongas not to let Wayne know of their decision, seriously Kalyn and Newcastle owe absolutely nothing to Wayne.

Yeah and didn't ole wayno recently say when questioned on his meeting with KP in the middle of the season something like "My priority isn't the Knights its the Dolphins".

Yet his club has a whinge when it's clear the Dolphins isn't a players priority.

That club can ABCDE F off, and Wayne along with them.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I love how the it is expected that one should inform the losing party of the decision prior to a formal announcement.

Now, in many regards, I can appreciate the sentiment, but there is a thing called social media, a thing called “spoilers”, and also a thing called “complete f@&$ing jackoffs”.

IIRC, both the Jets and Firehawks tweeted their respective failures to win the 17th licence hours prior to the official announcement that Redcliffe had won.

If people had class, perhaps announcements could be made with the integrity of all parties involved remaining in tact.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah let's play devil's advocate and say Andre told the Dolphins last night... They would've sent a screenshot of the chat to the journos immediately, to spoil today's announcement.

Lose-lose situation for Ponga right there.

Latest posts