What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership favorites 7 weeks out

Who will win the 2005 grand final

• Brisbane

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 78 36.6%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 30 14.1%

• Total voters

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
borat said:
:lol: :lol:

What a clown

remind us when the last time the Dragons swept all before us to win the minor premiership, hammered the opposition in the semi's and then got towelled in the GF.

I can think of once when we were absolute favourites but nothing in comparison to Parra's efforts in 01.

Parramtta = The Champion of Chokers

And I REALLY hope your team thinks like that on Sunday :D

Mr Saab

Referee
you wrote this

Dragons won't win the premiership, they ALWAYS choke in the finals and people are jumping on their bandwagon prematurely

jay...you said the dragons choke...correct? and you emphasised the word ALWAYS. I just responded. Dont have to have a cry about it!!!!!

dragons choking?

the only one i can really think of that stands out is 2004 vs the panthers.

2002...lost to their cross town rivals by 16
2001...they never had a chance vs ther broncos in the semi
1999...yes they choked vs the storm...almost as bad as the eels of 2001
1996...made the GF, but were never favs (they did great to get there)
1995...minor choke to the dogs in the semi at SFS
1993...played poor on the day, but the bronx were favs
1992...bronx fav in the GF
1985...lost by one point to the premiers of 1984.

ParraDude_Jay said:
Who gives a f**k if we have choked under pressure, we aren't under the pressure of being favourites.

And so if Eels were the favourites you would choke by your rationale. A bit like the pot calling the kettle black I'd say.

borat

Bench
If anything we play very well in semi final football becuase we usually finish the regular season in the lower half of the 8 yet make it to GF's. I don't see how 2004 could be considered choking anyway considering the Panthers finished above us on the table and were reigning premiers.

Phillips

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
And so if Eels were the favourites you would choke by your rationale. A bit like the pot calling the kettle black I'd say.

choke?

just like Saints in 99

El Diablo

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:
attack????????
all i did was post FACTS...sorry if FACTS hurt you.
Go cry to mummy because charlie saab upset you with FACTS :roll:

no Chuckie, you went off on another tangent.

He said the Dragons were chokers.

You posting scores of Parramatta's finals history has nothing to do with his statement.

Mr Saab

Referee
i just wanted to remind him (as an eels supporter) that the eels are not innocent as chokers. The eels are as guilty as any as far as semi final football is concerned. It is very hypocritical to mention the saints.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:
i just wanted to remind him (as an eels supporter) that the eels are not innocent as chokers. The eels are as guilty as any as far as semi final football is concerned.

Which has nothing to do with his statement.

You're carrying on like you won some sort of argument by going on with your "facts" when he was not even referring to what you started to waffle on with.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:
you wrote this

Dragons won't win the premiership, they ALWAYS choke in the finals and people are jumping on their bandwagon prematurely

jay...you said the dragons choke...correct? and you emphasised the word ALWAYS. I just responded. Dont have to have a cry about it!!!!!

dragons choking?

the only one i can really think of that stands out is 2004 vs the panthers.

2002...lost to their cross town rivals by 16
2001...they never had a chance vs ther broncos in the semi
1999...yes they choked vs the storm...almost as bad as the eels of 2001
1996...made the GF, but were never favs (they did great to get there)
1995...minor choke to the dogs in the semi at kogragh
1993...played poor on the day, but the bronx were favs
1992...bronx fav in the GF
1985...lost by one point to the premiers of 1984.

Any reason you left out 1998?

Godz Illa

Coach
El Diablo said:
Which has nothing to do with his statement.

You're carrying on like you won some sort of argument by going on with your "facts" when he was not even referring to what you started to waffle on with.
Who voted you the debate police? Regardless of if there was any express statement to refer to, the implication is there due to the tone of the choking comment. There was no initial rationale behind it, it was simply a sour comment from an Eels fan who plainly thinks his team should be in the limelight, and not the Dragons. Saab did him a favour, by putting his team in the spotlight. That they don't scrub up particularly well is not the fault of Saab imo.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels do not deserve the spotlight at all at this stage. The Dragons can happily carry that themselves.

drake

First Grade
I'm hoping that having the son of Judas Reddy in your side, as well as big pig McRiddell, Mr Smells like Newtown, PJ Smurf and Mouth Cayless will inspire the Saints to belt the bejezus out of Parra.

Phillips said:
choke?

just like Saints in 99

No dramas with that call. But Eels do it more often

Parra were red hot favourites in 2001, statistically one of, if not the best club sides in history. Come finals time, beat Warriors well(to be expected in at the time), got the wobbles but held on to beat the broncos. Still favourites in the GF and got blown off the park in one of the most inept displays in 40 minutes of GF football in recent memory.

Lose to the Storm after leading well in 99

Lose to the Dogs in 98 after leading well late in the game.

In all games above eels were the favourites. We've lost GF's but since 85 we were the underdog in all but 2 - 85 v Dogs (but only just) and in 99. Other semis we've lost as the underdogs.

Eels = Pot. The curse of Brian Smith has been passed to you..

gregstar

Referee
borat said:
remind us when the last time the Dragons swept all before us to win the minor premiership, hammered the opposition in the semi's and then got towelled in the GF.

I can think of once when we were absolute favourites but nothing in comparison to Parra's efforts in 01.
in '85 borat we won the minor premiership & were clearly the best team.
we hammered canterbury in the major semi & lost the big one.
whilst we weren't exactly towelled in the gf on the scoreboard, we were never in it & never looked likely after the opening burst.
in '85 we choked in so far as we were the best team the failed to produced when it counted.
'99 was a massive choke - that game was as good as over at half time.

borat

Bench
gregstar said:
in '85 borat we won the minor premiership & were clearly the best team.
we hammered canterbury in the major semi & lost the big one.
whilst we weren't exactly towelled in the gf on the scoreboard, we were never in it & never looked likely after the opening burst.
in '85 we choked in so far as we were the best team the failed to produced when it counted.
'99 was a massive choke - that game was as good as over at half time.

A 1 point loss in 85 Gregstar hardly compares to the effort in 01. In 99 we definitely choked but we finished the regular season 5th or 6th from memory.

My point was I can't remember the last time a team was so dominant all year and choked under the pressure of the GF.