What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pride of the League & Arizona

How do you know it's overhyped?
How do you know what Souths told the NRL 3 months ago?

Maybe Souths have been caught out telling little fibs to the NRL and are about to get shafted for it.

Paul Gallen got fined $50k for a tweet and you think Butgess and Sutton should get off Scott free for allegedly belting a bloke and then sitting in lockup for 8hours after being arrested????

I still disagree with Gallen being fined TBH.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Let me give you a scenario.
1. Auva'a pleads guilty over the incident
2. Souths sack Auva'a
3. New evidence comes to light, the girl changes her story, Auva'a changes his plea to not-guilty, the case is thrown out of court, i.e. something along those lines or similar
4. Auva'a is now upset about losing his contract at Souths, his career and name being tarnished, wants to take legal action.

Where does that leave Souths?
Basically, you can't just make up laws and legal procedures how you see fit. Clubs and the NRL have to respect the legal system and the rights that an individual has. Like David Smith has just come out and said - the NRL is not a police unit or a court and we need to stop thinking like that.

Legal action?
Your scenario is a perfect example why legal action wouldn't work.
He pleads guilty, Souths sack him, he changes his plea, takes legal action, Souths layers say "mate you plead guilty", guy has no legal leg to stand on after pleading guilty.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Of course there was still evidence being collected and details being finalized.
But the guy plead guilty, he admitted to doing it so the investiagtion stopped being about bringing charges against him and was only about tieing off what they had collected and piecing it together with his story.

The moment he plead guilty the prosecution no longer has to prove guilt. Therefore he could've been stood down immediately till the trial and sentencing.

It was handled perfectly so get over it.

If Auva'a only played 3 games and played reserve grade you wouldn't care.

As Dave Smith said you have to be careful while it is in court and the case was handled very well.

souths_pride

Juniors
Yeah of course they acted like complete idiots and i'm glad they got punished.

What i don't get is that everything was sweet until the media overhyped everything after Souths and the NRL had come to an agreement that what was done was done and the case wouldn't be strung further. Queue the media and d*ckheads bagging us and the NRL feels obliged to please the public.

I think a lot of it is based on jealousy. We're a well run club who is financially well-off, making profits, have lots of fans etc and many people can't stand that and want to see us fall. Thats generally the way things go with NRL clubs - you can only do well for a certain period of time before people and even the NRL looks to bring you back down to earth; the rugby league community does not like seeing a club have sustained success.

I think a lot of it is based on jealousy. We're a well run club who is financially well-off, making profits, have lots of fans etc and many people can't stand that and want to see us fall. Thats generally the way things go with NRL clubs - you can only do well for a certain period of time before people and even the NRL looks to bring you back down to earth; the rugby league community does not like seeing a club have sustained success.

Tripe.

And I'm a Souths member.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Dave smith is as useless as tits on a bill.
If you're using him to support your argument you've lost already.

He should've been stood down. He plead guilty.
He lost all rights to keep playing the moment he did that.

If this was anyone other than a Souths player you'd be saying the same thing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Legal action?
He pleads guilty, Souths sack him, he changes his plea, takes legal action, Souths layers say "mate you plead guilty", guy has no legal leg to stand on after pleading guilty.

New evidence changes things. I repeat again couldn't have been handled better.

DJShaksta

First Grade

You've just overtaken IQof20 for most ridiculous post in the thread.
Congratulations

souths_pride

Juniors
Legal action?

Again it doesn't work that way. Souths and the NRL are not a court and Auva'a, as a citizen, has rights. You need to accept that. Auva'a could come up with some silly reason as to why he pleaded guilty. Even if he didn't come up with an excuse, his lawyers could always use the argument that the case was thrown out of court and he was found not-guilty. Either way, it ends up with Souths staring down the barrel of legal action being taken against them.

Snappy

Coach
Let me give you a scenario.
1. Auva'a pleads guilty over the incident
2. Souths sack Auva'a
3. New evidence comes to light, the girl changes her story, Auva'a changes his plea to not-guilty, the case is thrown out of court, i.e. something along those lines or similar
4. Auva'a is now upset about losing his contract at Souths, his career and name being tarnished, wants to take legal action.

Where does that leave Souths?
Basically, you can't just make up laws and legal procedures how you see fit. Clubs and the NRL have to respect the legal system and the rights that an individual has. Like David Smith has just come out and said - the NRL is not a police unit or a court and we need to stop thinking like that.

They could have stood him down from playing and kept paying his contract you f**king moron.

He admitted to belting a woman ffs.

ek999

First Grade
Again it doesn't work that way. Souths and the NRL are not a court and Auva'a, as a citizen, has rights. You need to accept that. Auva'a could come up with some silly reason as to why he pleaded guilty. Even if he didn't come up with an excuse, his lawyers could always use the argument that the case was thrown out of court and he was found not-guilty. Either way, it ends up with Souths staring down the barrel of legal action being taken against them.

I don't think you quite understand the process, his case was adjourned for sentencing only. He was not going to be able to change his plea

souths_pride

Juniors
Tripe.

And I'm a Souths member.

Its not tripe. Look at the NRL's attitude and even the rugby league community's attitude towards the Melbourne Storm. They are arguable the most successful team of the last 10 years in terms of sustained success and look at people's attitude towards them. Its not secret that David Gallop had it in for them when he was CEO. Also, look at the NRL's attitude towards wrestling - again that comes the Melbourne Storm. If the Melbourne Storm had not won all of those comps and being so successful, then there would no be all this outcry about 'wrestling'. I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy but if Souths win three straight premierships, then there will some sort of rule change or salary cap change in order to bring Souths back to the rest of the pack.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Its not tripe. Look at the NRL's attitude and even the rugby league community's attitude towards the Melbourne Storm. They are arguable the most successful team of the last 10 years in terms of sustained success and look at people's attitude towards them. Its not secret that David Gallop had it in for them when he was CEO. Also, look at the NRL's attitude towards wrestling - again that comes the Melbourne Storm. If the Melbourne Storm had not won all of those comps and being so successful, then there would no be all this outcry about 'wrestling'. I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy but if Souths win three straight premierships, then there will some sort of rule change or salary cap change in order to bring Souths back to the rest of the pack.

Hahahahaha a new low has been reached.

souths_pride

Juniors
I don't think you quite understand the process, his case was adjourned for sentencing only. He was not going to be able to change his plea
What if new evidence came to light during the adjournment? I understand the process perfectly, your the one who needs to accept it. The NRL is not a court and the player has rights. South would have left themselves open to legal ramifications if they acted before the process was finished.

ek999

First Grade
He said he did it, what more evidence does Souths and the NRL need to act?

Extending your logic, we should never punish anyone for anything because sometime in the future there could be new evidence which shows the player did nothing wrong

souths_pride

Juniors
Hahahahaha a new low has been reached.

care to offer anything constructive to counter that or are you just going to keep gibbering on like you have been? What are you? A sharks supporter? Your hardly in a position to talk about integrity and the way our club is run. Its predominantly because of the Sharks that the NRL's image is being dragged through the mud.