What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

Godz Illa

Coach
After seeing that amateur production last night, I'm really hoping Channel Ten don't win the next NRL broadcast rights deal.

Knownothing

Juniors
What a joke this was! Who the hell was the rugby bloke who finished second?
One Hd are f**kin useless too.

John Grant plays on the wing for Eastwood. He is James Grant's nephew. He is a diesel mechanic by trade, another in a long line of blue collar Eastwood players over the years.

Well, congratulations to Rugby Union.

Your only win in the code battle in Australia since 2003. Lap it up boys.

Maybe next time it should be held post-season so that the NRL's quickest players can participate.

This Lolly Turnbolt bloke looks quick, he would look great in a Wolves jersey.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
On Greg Inglis, I think everyone is being a bit harsh on him; the thing is, if he was really fired up to run for this (he looked dis-interested IMO), he would have finished alongside Hayne at least. Yes he is a lot bigger than he used to be but if he wants to run the ball, he is easily one of the fastest players in Rugby League.

This will no doubt be construed as racist, so I'm aware people probably won't take this for what it's worth...but:

A lot of aboriginals are incredibly gifted athletically. Many of the long limbs and fast-twitch fibres that give them a natural advantage (obviously this is talking in generalisations, there are many exceptions to this rule) - however, they also are prone to lack ticker when losing (once again, there are plenty of exceptions, but in general have a look around for proof) and give up. Inglis is a prime example. He is fantastic when winning, but just gives up when losing.

m0nty

Juniors
This will no doubt be construed as racist, so I'm aware people probably won't take this for what it's worth...but:

A lot of aboriginals are incredibly gifted athletically. Many of the long limbs and fast-twitch fibres that give them a natural advantage (obviously this is talking in generalisations, there are many exceptions to this rule) - however, they also are prone to lack ticker when losing (once again, there are plenty of exceptions, but in general have a look around for proof) and give up. Inglis is a prime example. He is fantastic when winning, but just gives up when losing.

It's not necessarily racist per se, but it does indicate you have sh*t for brains.

Paullyboy

Coach
This probably isn't the right forum for it, but I strongly disagree with you. It's a proven fact that certain races have different genetic advantages over others. People of African descent are much more likely to have more fast-twitch fibres and heavier bone mass which is great for running but not so good for swimming (for example). Rugby league alone has proven time and time again that some of the most athletic players are from islander backgrounds, however, how many of them play in the halves? There is a good reason for that as well.

My point about the lack of 'heart' has some merit if you do some research into it, although I do concede that there could be a fair debate about whether it's genetic or cultural.

Perth Tiger

Bench
It is your comment about Aboriginals lacking heart that is full of sh*t. No doubt some do but plenty of white, Asian, African or whatever race also lack heart and in the same percentages as every other race

Paullyboy

Coach
If you read my post (which on a forum like this I shouldn't expect) you'd see that I acknowledge every race has it's good and bad examples. There is no set genetic formulat that guarantees anything, however, certain races have tendencies that are more likely to prevail than in others. As I pointed out, an argument could definitely be made that culture has as much to do with it as genetics, but aboriginal (and polynesian) athletes have a tendency to be fantastic front-runners, but poor when they are coming from behind.

Now you could make a magnitute of assumptions about this, I simply believe that with aboriginal athletes in particular, you have a higher chance of encountering an athlete who do not give their full ability in certain situations. On the contrary I believe that you have a higher chance of finding an aboriginal athlete who tends to become an even-better performer when they are in a position of power - this is most likely a confidence thing (which would lead to me arguing it's more cultural than genetic).

Robbo De Lechez

Juniors
Is it fair or wise to compare the sporting traits of different cultures/races when you consider the vast gulf between cultures/races in society in general? I don't think it's necessarily a racist debate and I think there probably is some merit to the discussion at some level even though I can't quite figure out what it might be just at the minute.

Paullyboy

Coach
I acknowledge this isn't the right forum for this discussion, but I think if people removed the first instict of "hey, he said a certain race is not as good at something, this is a bloody outrage it is" and actually looked at it without emotion it'd be a great debate/discussion.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I love it how you're allowed to wank on about the natural athleticism of certain (non-white) races...but if you point out differences in IQ, aggression, propensity to crime etc then it is racist.

If races have differences in the body, then surely they must be able to in the mind as well?

Doesnt make sense.

macavity

Referee
A lot of aboriginals are incredibly gifted athletically. Many of the long limbs and fast-twitch fibres that give them a natural advantage (obviously this is talking in generalisations, there are many exceptions to this rule) - however, they also are prone to lack ticker when losing

150 years of genocide and the aboriginal people are still here - I reckon they might have a bit of ticker, even when losing.....

dubby

Bench
I love it how you're allowed to wank on about the natural athleticism of certain (non-white) races...but if you point out differences in IQ, aggression, propensity to crime etc then it is racist.

If races have differences in the body, then surely they must be able to in the mind as well?

Doesnt make sense.

Does crime result from culture or genetic makeup?