What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd24: 8pm EELS v Broncos GAME DAY THREAD @ Gabba 11/8/23

emjaycee

Coach
When was the last time a grand finalist missed the finals the following season, not including teams having points stripped?

I think Dragons missed out in 2000.
Cowboys played in the 2017 GF and in 2018 had 8 wins/16 losses and ran 13th.

T-Boon

Coach
I’d blame neither to be honest. Just don’t think it’s fair to single out and criticise the one player who is literally the heart and soul of the club and most of the time seems to be the only one fully invested.
He is just upbeat on the field which makes it look like he is putting more in even when he isnt. And also the terrible example he set last year with contract negotiations created the environmnet for the bad discipline this season starting with Matterson then Brown then RCG.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah I had no confidence before kick off tonight considering how they just beat the low side Dragons, they looked ok after 20 minutes but once again their heads went down. I knew they would struggle to contain Walsh and their halves. The Eels made them look so good.

Now with Moses gone for the season, possibly, I have no confidence in them winning another game. Roosters will still think theyre a chance for the 8 and Panthers will have now Luai and Cleary but will still beat us.

Get this season or year out of the way, look for decent players with heart and attitude. More guys like Hopgood and Greig.

Tooooks

Bench
Apart from beating shit teams (Knights still shit when we played them), we had good wins against Penrith and Souths. Things look pretty grim for next year.

Imagine having the pace of the Broncos back three. Roster needs an overhaul, and if the club won’t sack BA, they at least need to find someone who can coach defence.

Cowboys and Tigers 2006.
Warriors 2012.
Cowboys 2018
2006 - Cowboys coach "resigned" 18 months later
2006 - Tigers coach had another 6 seasons with them (and is back again now)!
2010 - Our coach was sacked at season end
2012 - Warriors sacked their coach after round 22
2018 - Cowboys coach "resigned" 18 months later

So by averages, BA will walk/be sacked in May 2025...

JokerEel

Coach
2006 - Cowboys coach "resigned" 18 months later
2006 - Tigers coach had another 6 seasons with them (and is back again now)!
2012 - Warriors sacked their coach after round 22
2018 - Cowboys coach "resigned" 18 months later

So by averages, BA will walk/be sacked in May 2025...

Wait is BA signed in 25??????

Wally21

Bench
The club needs to do a full and brutal review of the football program from first grade to reserve grade.

It's been in a comfort zone I feel resting on making the GF last year.

I hope the silver lining is actually missing the finals may be the rocket the club needs to get off its arse reassess what we are actually doing isn't working and rise again.

Scraping in and finishing 8th going out week 1 or 2 may have meant another pat on the back and successful season.

Missing the finals means no ones position is safe from coaches to support staff & administration.
I would start with the invisible CEO, closely followed by MON and Bald Arthur.
as you say, there needs to be a full review. I’m just not sure who would conduct it.
We also need a full roster overhaul. Time to burn a year or two with the hope that we can get the front office right, sign a decent coach, ( I would be offering the farm to Slater) attract a top rated hooker, get rid of most of the plodders in the middle including Paulo and Matterson and attract a decent few outside backs. Hopefully, the young kids who did well this year may be something the club can build around for the future

JokerEel

Coach
Why would he come to a struggling club though? If he wants to coach at club level he could probably just take over from Bellamy eventually.

Nah Billy Has Family in QLD and horses highly doubt he ever takes up a coaching job..

But if you don't want the free beer that's fine!

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
Well, I have a lot to say, but by the same token, not much at all.

All the pressure and stressors with starting slow has caught up to us.

We won’t be in the finals. The thing that hurts the most about it is that I think we can go toe to toe and beat anyone with our best team on our day.

In regard to the Broncos; what can I say? They are absolutely electric across the park. Carrigan is an out-and-out leader I’d be happy to have for massive coin for ten years. My only concern with them is if they fall a couple of tries behind and try to play catch up.

Latest posts