What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5: Eels v Titans GAME DAY THREAD @ CBus Stadium 9/4/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
If Waqa out next week, who comes in on the wing?

Cini? Solomone?

Pernham was 18th man yesterday

Heard it looks like about 6 weeks for Blake. Unsure how true and we need to wait till tomorrow. Russel would be close to being ok. It will be 5 and a bit weeks come Easter Monday.

Naiduki will be rocks and diamonds but he has been named in the 21 man squad so looks next in line.
Laizou might be a safer option but is playing centre.
Perham to me looks a bit small for a wing spot.

Titans coach Holbrook couldn’t whinge after the 9-1 penalty count and the endless assistance by the bunker and ref who didn’t know the rules. They still couldn’t win. That was a satisfying win that one. You could see it just dawning on him yesterday during the presser that they are so shit, he had help to win the game by everyone other than God and still could not win.

Heard it looks like about 6 weeks for Blake. Unsure how true and we need to wait till tomorrow. Russel would be close to being ok. It will be 5 and a bit weeks come Easter Monday.

Naiduki will be rocks and diamonds but he has been named in the 21 man squad so looks next in line.
Laizou might be a safer option but is playing centre.
Perham to me looks a bit small for a wing spot.
Is Cini any good ?

hindy111

Post Whore
Is Cini any good ?

I don't think he is eligible. From little I have seen he is a goer. High energy and 100% effort. But unsure on his actual ability under high balls, defense etc. He would be more powerfull then any other winger in our squad bar Sivo. So I assume must be other areas in his game that are not up to scratch

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
If I was coaching a side or bringing in players this is what I would do.
Firstly a time frame and then keep close notes on their progress. I should say I wouldn't give up on them after 5 games. I'd continue to assess their game and development and if I see improvement. After 10 games( for an established Nrl player which Simmonson is) then I would draw a conclusion to exactly what player we have and what his strength and weaknesses are. Best ways to use him and also what we need to do to work on him as a player to improve.

But go ahead and be a smarty pants.
Revolutionary.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The thing is its a loophole and they where smart enough to exploit it. Its a stain on the game but if we did it most of us on here would be laughing about it.
I said as much to the Mrs last night. Good on them for using it to their advantage.

strider

Post Whore
I said as much to the Mrs last night. Good on them for using it to their advantage.
Only Annaley explicitly said its not within the rules and yet the ref proceeded to let em do it twice

They asked Tino and Holbrook if it was something they had talked about doing at training and they completely minced around it - pretty clear they had planned to do it

JokerEel

First Grade
Only Annaley explicitly said its not within the rules and yet the ref proceeded to let em do it twice

They asked Tino and Holbrook if it was something they had talked about doing at training and they completely minced around it - pretty clear they had planned to do it

Anansta said it after the game aswell that the Titans could only challenge the stoppage. But somehow the ref and video ref don't know the rule..

TheRam

Coach
Just watched the Hollbrook interview. They didn't even ask him about Jnr's tackle or the penalty count which is poor given how vocal he was after the last game.

They asked him about them deliberately conceding penalties so they can challenge a decision and he dogged it and said "he didn't know" because "Its difficult to see from the coaches box".

Pissweak effort by all concerned.

Even the way they asked that was timid and weak. And the way they skirted around the Ka-Paulo tackle was also very embarrassing.

Someone should have said...We understand that it is a professional sport and all, but why do coaches encourage their players/teams to play and behave in ways that are not in the spirit of the game or even constantly flaunt and break the rules altogether and then bleat like crybaby sheep when the penalty count goes against them?

Or words to that effect. Just ride the pr*ks arse about it. Journos should nail coaches are to the post as soon as they notice sh*t like this before it ends up metastasising into another full blown cancer in the game that we need to deal with.

"He didn't Know" and "it was to difficult to see from the coaches box?" My arse and should not be good enough and answer. We all know he would have known if he was on the wrong side of it.

Journos are part of the problem with all this crap and what coaches get away with with the wrestle and the like. They don't make it personal and attack the arse holes that are the instigators(coaches) because they are either mates or want to have access to players for interviews. Just so weak.

I understand that the Coaches Director will probably fix this one and shut the loophole, but the journos should have that killer instinct and attack any player, coach or team that behaves poorly and not in the spirit of the game as soon as it happens. The game should always he held in reverence and in the highest esteem. But it is constantly being dumped on by every stakeholder that feeds off of it when it suits their agenda and or pocket.

Just sick of it and head office is to gutless to bring in the tough rules/penalties to fix it once and for all. I sware I would fix all the rule bending flaunting in a day. I would make the coach directly liable and linked to the penalty count. More then 3 penalty counts for infringements in the ruck like wrestling or holding down, or hand on ball and the like and the coach is suspended for a game. More then 5 and he is suspended for 2 games and more the 7 and he is suspended for a month. And when I say suspended, I mean Shane Flanagan style. No contact whatsoever with the players team or club. Physical or electronical is forbidden. If found out that he has had contact, the suspension starts again. Also for persistent offenders salary cap spending deductions would also come into effect, which I have previously posted about in detail.

Watch how quickly repeat offending players that break the rules find themselves out of the game and in reserve grade.

Over the top tough? You bettcha. I guarantee that it would work though. It doesn't penalize the fan or the game as a spectacle and only affects the coach and his participation and embarrasses the Hell out of him to no end for poor coaching, bad behaviour and hurting the game that we all love. Something that that pathetic Melbourne professional cheater should have had happen to him decades ago.

strider

Post Whore
They actually asked the challenge question of Tino .... and he might be a good player and a good guy, but f**k me he is shit in post match pressers .... directly ask the f**kin coach merkins

lucablight

First Grade
They actually asked the challenge question of Tino .... and he might be a good player and a good guy, but f**k me he is shit in post match pressers .... directly ask the f**kin coach merkins
I think Moses and Paulo are better public speakers than Gutherson. Gutho must be really good at speaking on the field because he tends to overuse cliches and get his words mixed up when speaking to the media. I’m surprised Junior said he failed English at school because he seems to be a natural.

Regardless of the loophole. The player is deliberately giving away a penalty to gain an advantage. It should be 10 in the bin regardless
Yup. The game is still live at this point. If the opposition threw an off side forward pass and before the whistle was blown Jnr Paulo punched 5 merkins and laid them out he would still get sent off and have a penalty against him.

TheParraboy

Staff member
In the second half, when Moses stripped or knocked out the ball from a Titans player in their ingoal, so he doesnt run off and get a quick tap going from his 20. Should that have been a sin bin? Pretty sure that is a bin offence?

If we dodged a bullet there, evens out Paulo being sent for 10

Though astonished Herbert I think it was, that hit Opacic in the head in our ingoal. Should have been in the bin., worst case a penalty

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
I think Moses and Paulo are better public speakers than Gutherson. Gutho must be really good at speaking on the field because he tends to overuse cliches and get his words mixed up when speaking to the media. I’m surprised Junior said he failed English at school because he seems to be a natural.
Did you watch Rickys Presser yesterday? The guy waffles and makes no sense whatsoever. Have a listen. Diabolical for someone in such a position. His Pommy Captain siting besides him must be thinking WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.