What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson calls for suburban footy to be axed

hutch

First Grade
There is a place for suburban grounds, there always will be. However, our bigger games and derby games should be played in the bigger stadiums with the bigger crowds.

franklin2323

Immortal
Lol boo hoo there's a hill on the way to the SFS, ride the f**king bus then that comes included with a train ticket to Moore park.

On a Fri night you may miss & few before you can fit on 1 then you still have the crap traffic. Driving is a turd too. Homebush has great Public transport, plenty of parking but too big for club games & a crap view.

If we were going to do this we need better access then we have now. Without adding travel times to it. Ctown, Penrith, Parra, Kogarah all are right on Train stations, have plenty of free parking & take less time to leave in the car. A central staduim needs to have that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL should not be worried about ANZ and if it becomes a white elephant. With possibly 4 NRL teams and an Aleague team there is justification for a AAMI style 35-40K stadium in Sydney's West. Maybe the ARLC should get into bed with a property developer, the developer puts up the $250-300mill to build it and the ARLC guarantee rental for X amount of years for its teams to use to make it a vaible investment for a developer.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is a place for suburban grounds, there always will be. However, our bigger games and derby games should be played in the bigger stadiums with the bigger crowds.

In theory yes.

The 13k for Manly's semi last year or the 12k for Penrith v Roosters in 2010 shows. There's no guarantee for bigger crowds. Why does not every fan at home games go to away games? In most cases it's 5k roughly.

So say Manly v Penrith at Homebush each team brings 5k each. Add 3-4k neutrals. It's looks terrible put that same crowd at Brookie great atmosphere.

Out of curosity what was Dragons ave at SFS & ANZ when they used them??

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many EPL grounds are there ??

Do all the London teams play at wembley ??

Actually does anyone play at wembly ,,

We have to come to terms with the fact that AFL in Victoria, is an absolute freak of nature when it comes to crowds / population

Its the best in the world by a long way, other than green bay packers

We can't just copy them always. It's a tv game anyway

Your comparing Leichardt,Win, Brookvale etc to Emirates, Villa Park or White Hart Lane?

AFL draws big crowds outside of Victoria, lesser sports such as soccer and RU also draw crowds comparable with many NRL teams, AFL is setting the attendance bar, it is up to the NRL to match it. If we do the outcomes will be massive for the sport (even bigger than the TV deal)

On a Fri night you may miss & few before you can fit on 1 then you still have the crap traffic. Driving is a turd too. Homebush has great Public transport, plenty of parking but too big for club games & a crap view.

If we were going to do this we need better access then we have now. Without adding travel times to it. Ctown, Penrith, Parra, Kogarah all are right on Train stations, have plenty of free parking & take less time to leave in the car. A central staduim needs to have that.

There's heaps of buses running from central on game day wtf are you on about? trains to Carlton arrive every half an hour and are only accessible on the Illawarra line then you have to walk back up one of those nasty hills you hate to get to Carlton station. Ever driven down the M5 on game night to Campbeltown? Probably not. How many train lines are accessible to Ctown, 1 or 2? It's a major f**k up to get down there then you're greeted with the one lane roads around that shithole.

I doubt you get around to these places.

docbrown

Coach
The NRL should not be worried about ANZ and if it becomes a white elephant. With possibly 4 NRL teams and an Aleague team there is justification for a AAMI style 35-40K stadium in Sydney's West. Maybe the ARLC should get into bed with a property developer, the developer puts up the $250-300mill to build it and the ARLC guarantee rental for X amount of years for its teams to use to make it a vaible investment for a developer.

Perhaps even slightly larger - 50-55k Suncorp Style but with a roof near a major train line junction and major E-W N-S roadways nearby with a dedicated carpark, bus terminals and some kind of entertainment precinct nearby.

Rugby League:
24 NRL season team home games a year at least - Bulldogs & Rabbits could play there instead of Homebush plus perhaps some Dragons or Eels games
1 Hall of Fame game - another designated H&A NRL game in Rnd 21
NRL Finals matches
Potentially some test matches

Union:
Test matches
Occassional Waratahs games

Soccer:
Larger Western Sydney club games, derby games
Internationals

That would probably be up there with the number of games that Suncorp hosts

fourplay

Juniors
The economics don't take many things into account for eg:

If a neutral was attending his first game at a packed out Leichardt on a sunday afternoon, or his first game sitting amoungst 15k in the souless ANZ stadium, which is more likely to attract his long term interest in following the team?

Which presents a better image to sponsers?

If ANZ was made purpose built for rugby league the idea would maybe be entertainable.

Last edited:

I agree 100%. The NRL should not care in any way about ANZ being a white elephant, it was poorly desinged in the first place.

I still think somewhere around Liverpool build a suncorp like stadium, would be used by Dogs, Tigers, Western Sydney A League side ( is in the soccer heartland area), could be used for some bigger Parramatta and Penrith games, could be used for soccer internationals etc. It would work in my opinion.

I heard Gus Gould on the radio tonight and he said that if in 10 years Penrith are still playing at Centrebet Stadium with the same current levels of crowds they will be financially unviable and could be extinct. He was suggesting a new stadium west of Parramatta would be the answer. i still think Liverpool makes the most sense.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
FFS people are deluded. It's irrelevant whether the NRL thinks or doesn't think ANZ will be a white elephant.

The government, and taxpayers who aren't diehard fans, won't provide millions to build a stadium when there is a very big one right there. People won't care if it's not ideal. Budgets are in deficit left right and centre, the government won't allow ANZ to become a white elephant by helping build ANOTHER stadium.

Big Sam

First Grade
Why not reconfigure ANZ to 55-60k? The only game that regularly draws over 80k these days is our GF. Not even the Bledisloe or Origin sells it out anymore.

Loudstrat

Coach
We only have 3 teams that exist from pre WW2.
Funny, I see evidence of 6 myself

Traditional grounds. It could be argued that what sets the AFL apart is they still have 7 of 8 1897 foundation clubs in the comp, and another 5 prewar teams. As well as that the fact that the AFL still places value on keeping their iconic brands by not changing their jerseys routinely and not covering them with ugly sponsorships. I have friends who know little to nothing about the AFL but can pick out almost every team by their jersey, I know casual NRL fans who can't tell the difference between Penrith and Warriors.
Will you get over your f*cking chronic AFL masturbation?

You want to bring back Newtown, Glebe, Annandale, Uni and Norths and have every game at the SFS and ANZ, because thats how the Victorians do it in their boring city?

Just because Souffs let Redfern fall into a state of utter disrepair doesnt mean everyone else has to lose their home ground you f*cking crumpet!!!!!!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Funny, I see evidence of 6 myself
Like usual, you're wrong. St George, Balmain and Western Suburbs do not exist. The moment they merged and sadly pissed on their history, they became new clubs, they have a 12 year history.

Until St George erases that hyphen in their name and the word "Illawarra" or until Balmain ditches Wests, we have 3 pre war teams, not 6. Souths, Easts and Canterbury.

If the Bears come back we'll have a fourth.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Why not reconfigure ANZ to 55-60k? The only game that regularly draws over 80k these days is our GF. Not even the Bledisloe or Origin sells it out anymore.

origin 2 got over 81k last year - which was a reported sellout

and no. what good would that do

seaeagle sam

I agree 100%. The NRL should not care in any way about ANZ being a white elephant, it was poorly desinged in the first place.

I still think somewhere around Liverpool build a suncorp like stadium, would be used by Dogs, Tigers, Western Sydney A League side ( is in the soccer heartland area), could be used for some bigger Parramatta and Penrith games, could be used for soccer internationals etc. It would work in my opinion.

I heard Gus Gould on the radio tonight and he said that if in 10 years Penrith are still playing at Centrebet Stadium with the same current levels of crowds they will be financially unviable and could be extinct. He was suggesting a new stadium west of Parramatta would be the answer. i still think Liverpool makes the most sense.

Depends on if you think it was designed for rugby league.

DC_fan

Coach
Seriously people do we really believe another multi million dollar sporting stadium is going to be built in Sydney?

It is not going to happen. We have to live with what we have got and make the best use of them.

You can update suburban grounds all you want, but it is limited what you can do there. If you want stadiums where you can sit 25,000 plus comfortably then we already have them in ANZ Stadium, SCG and the SFS. They all cost millions to run and the SCG is the process of being updated at cost of millions. Governments and organizations are not going to spend money on those stadiums and five minutes later spend another massive amount of money to build another stadium that most people believe we don't need.

ANZ was not designed to be just a rugby league stadium. It was designed first for the Olympics then to cater for sports like league, AFL and cricket. It is a multi purpose stadium.

cleary89

Coach
May have to change the theme song though.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE (but we are going to move soon).
THIS IS OUR (new) HOUSE (that we share with every other club).