What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie of the Year

Iafeta

Referee
Four on the shortlist are

Grant Rovelli
Travis Burns
Luke Douglas
Jarrod Hayne

Rovelli was third in try assists, at the beginning of last weekend. He'd have to be mighty close.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The way the Sharks season has turned to sh*t I'd say Douglas is out of the running. I'd say it's probably between Rovelli, Burns and Hayne, but I reckon Hayne or Burns will get it due to the Warriors being out of the finals picture.

HoLLuS

Juniors
Of course Hayne will get it.....the amoutn of crap spoken about this guy proves it.

Apparently no one can score tries from kicks like he can pffffft

I'd give it to Rovelli.

Sterling

Juniors
HoLLuS said:
Of course Hayne will get it.....the amoutn of crap spoken about this guy proves it.

Apparently no one can score tries from kicks like he can pffffft

I'd give it to Rovelli.

:lol: :lol: funny post that one!!

Y2Eel

First Grade
i would like to see roveli get it he's een the best rookie out there all season

effnic

Bench
Y2Eel said:
i would like to see roveli get it he's een the best rookie out there all season
The media havent been jacking off over Rovelli like they have on Hayne so he is no chance.

Special K

Coach
Hayne will get it due to media attention. Though Douglas and Burns are better players and had better seasons. Hayne is marketable and has gained so much attention that he will get it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hayne will easily get it due to the media coverage he has gotten.

Some Bulldogs fans were talking up the "Panthers winger" and his great game against them not even knowing his name.(Michael Gordon). That's just a reference of other rookies that are doing quiet well and not getting much praise outside of their team supporters. Not finding the line as often as Hayne though. Although scoring in each of his last 5 games is good enough considering we lost 4 of them.

There are a lot of great Rookies this year. Hayne is easily one of them, although he has the advantage of media coverage and there is no way anyone else will come close to him.

Atleast if he wins it... he is a great player and not a rookie that got it for no reason at all. Travis Burns is nowhere near as deserving... but the Warriors halfback? He'd be my pick. Just sensational... a halfback is a lot harder role to do then being a winger. More responsibility. etc.

Congratulations to Hayne though. He has been sensational and although he has been a bit overhyped IMO, that is hardly his fault. He has been lucky and you can't fault him for that. Here's hoping he doesn't suffer from the curse of winning ROTY though. I hope to see him one day carving up for his country.

top 6
Douglas
Rovelli
Aiton
Burns
Hayne
Boyd

I'd give it to Douglas but Hayne will win it because of his try scoring ability and the media have no idea how many 18 year old props can play at the level that Douglas does.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Burns should get it I reckon over Rovelli, then daylight, then Hayne.

Jarryd Hayne is over-rated and will get found out in the coming years. Most of his tries come from simple overlaps, with not much work to be done, but the media absolutely salivate all over him every time he touches the ball. I must admit however some of his hitups are quite strong, so I'd love to see him bulk up a bit more and maybe he can prove me wrong.

mattyg

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
Some Bulldogs fans were talking up the "Panthers winger" and his great game against them not even knowing his name.(Michael Gordon). That's just a reference of other rookies that are doing quiet well and not getting much praise outside of their team supporters.

if he deserved to get the credit then he would :crazy:

mxlegend99 said:
Hayne will easily get it due to the media coverage he has gotten.

Hayne deserves it more than anyone else in the comp, SBW got massive media coverage in 2004 but he didnt win the award...he lost out to Hunt. Please don't tell me Gordon deserves the award more than Hayne because that would be STUPID. ;-)

mxlegend99

Referee
mattyg said:
if he deserved to get the credit then he would :crazy:
Just like every other Rookie is getting the proper recognition for their achievements? :lol:

mattyg said:
Hayne deserves it more than anyone else in the comp, SBW got massive media coverage in 2004 but he didnt win the award...he lost out to Hunt. Please don't tell me Gordon deserves the award more than Hayne because that would be STUPID. ;-)
In your opinion. And i'm not getting into another Gordon vs Hayne debate. I think Rovelli is easily the most deserving player. A halfback role is far more crucial then a wingers role, and has far more responsbility to it also.

I never once stated that Gordon deserved it... i have no bias towards the person i think who does. :crazy: I know Hayne will win it... he's the only Rookie that people know the name of.