What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. Dargons @Bluebet

Iamback

Coach
I don't think we've won any games we deserved to lose. We haven't been the 2022 juggernaut, but we've replaced half that roster by this point. Most games we've been patchy, but looking very good at times.

That said I agree with your comment re Hosking. Mental to have let him go. Its a different game if he plays over Riki or Mav.

Parra, NQ we took advantage of guys being hurt on the other team.

Roosters we had that try of their's called back
Should of had Schneider binned v Tigers.

Dogs game were lucky to get away with it.

I am giving us a 7/10 at most for this year, That is with 6 Origin guys and a golden boot winner.

Panther Mike

Juniors
Spoken with the arrogance of a band-wagon supporter.

Not a bandwagon fan since I followed the club since 1988 when they had only reached 1 finals series and won no comps. I have watched a lot of crap Penrith teams over 36 years so tonight gave me flashbacks..
Doesn’t mean I should be ok with the club losing to lesser opponents and playing like nuffies whenever it rains.

dannyt

Coach
Not a bandwagon fan since I followed the club since 1988 when they had only reached 1 finals series and won no comps. I have watched a lot of crap Penrith teams over 36 years so tonight gave me flashbacks..
Doesn’t mean I should be ok with the club losing to lesser opponents and playing like nuffies whenever it rains.
I didn't call you a band-wagon supporter. I said your comment showed the arrogance of a band-wagon supporter. By all means, you have the right to be annoyed when your team doesn't play well. However, 36 years of supporting a team should have taught you that sometimes your team is beaten by a team who wants it more. I’ve supported St George since 1974, so perhaps you need to support a team for 50 years before you realise this.

Panther Mike

Juniors
I didn't call you a band-wagon supporter. I said your comment showed the arrogance of a band-wagon supporter. By all means, you have the right to be annoyed when your team doesn't play well. However, 36 years of supporting a team should have taught you that sometimes your team is beaten by a team who wants it more. I’ve supported St George since 1974, so perhaps you need to support a team for 50 years before you realise this.

The Dragons came out firing and played much better than us in the second half but I’m more focused on my team obviously.

I’ve become used to high standards in the last 4 years. This year they’ve only put in about 2 or 3 actual good performances and most of the wins have just been workman like without much excitement.

Now starting to lose quite winnable games. They hardly did this between 2020-2023. I of course with 36 years of following the game know we’ll drop off and have dud or underwhelming seasons again but that doesn’t mean I gonna like it.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
The Dragons came out firing and played well in the second half but I’m more focused on my team obviously.
I’ve become used to high standards in the last 4 years. This year they’ve only put in about 2 or 3 actual good performances. With key players out we will struggle to make the top 4 and no top 4, no title.
Fair points. I became used to high standards from 1977 to 1979, the mid 1980s, early and late 1990s, most of the 2000s, and especially 2009-2011. What can I say? Support a team long enough and your standards drop.

Panther Mike

Juniors
Fair points. I became used to high standards from 1977 to 1979, the mid 1980s, early and late 1990s, most of the 2000s, and especially 2009-2011. What can I say? Support a team long enough and your standards drop.
I’m envious of the Dragons history compared to Penrith’s. We’ll never win 11 in a row like St.George did in the 50’s and 60’s but I want us to become like Storm or Roosters and make finals pretty much every year for a decade or two. We haven’t come close to that consistency in our history. Until the last 10 years our record of even making finals series was terrible.

dannyt

Coach
I’m envious of the Dragons history compared to Penrith’s. We’ll never win 11 in a row like St.George did in the 50’s and 60’s but I want us to become like Storm or Roosters and make finals pretty much every year for a decade or two. We haven’t come close to that consistency in our history. Until the last 10 years our record of even making finals series was terrible.
Fair enough. At this stage, I'm happy with being competitive. I'm hoping my expectations will increase in a few years.

snickers007

Juniors
I don't want to pile on the guy, but that missed tackle from Riki at the start of the second half completely changed the game. It was such a bad miss. Great example for the kids that the most dangerous player on the field is the one with the ball. He took his eyes off him and started to shift to the support runner far too early, and he got burnt.

And it's another showcase as to why the kickoff in it's current state is so important to rugby league. We saw it a few weeks back against Manly too. Nathan Brown's kickoff returns showed Manly the way, and got them so far on the front foot that we just could not catch our breath.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Really frustrating second half. Too many errors at key moments, and too many guys being forced to play big, big minutes because our bench was shit.

Garner and Eisenhuth to come straight back in next week, and hopefully Luai too - especially if he's riding high from a win on Wednesday. The rest of the Origin guys can take have a break.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I am disappointed but not devastated.

Many things tonight to see a future in.

Liam Henry 78 tackles *2 misses.

Cole, I like the look of him much better with each game.

Very impressed with Mclean too. He will be special.

Now some facts:

You're not going to win too many footy games in the 2nd half when you're continually coming out of your own end, with 39% of the ball.

Dragons didn't concede a penalty in the 2nd half either. Actually only made 1 or 2 mistakes in the 2nd half. So they probably played there best half of footy in a good number of years.

Edwards not being there was massive. He sets the defensive line line. He was missed tonight big time.

Laurie though tried hard all night

Alamotti I believe will replace May at centre, he's doing really well.

The loss of Leota in the 2nd half was a huge problem too.

Also Kenny at 66 mins.

Ivan's presser was impressive. Lots to build on. But the loss hardly surprising.

The bench except for Peach had about 4 games between them.

Penrith with 5 out to origin, Cleary, Garner and Matty E missing through injury.

The sky isn't falling.

murraymob

Coach
N
Dargons win both reserves and first grade? At Penrith?
Huh? What happened to “next man up” “best pathways in the nrl” “grassroots”
Would have thought the depth would cover against a bottom table team like Dargons?
Apparently not.
Not real bright are you .8 first graders not available .Injuries in reserve grade and we are still higher on the ladder.See you semi final time .No you will be on holiday

Iamback

Coach
I don't want to pile on the guy, but that missed tackle from Riki at the start of the second half completely changed the game. It was such a bad miss. Great example for the kids that the most dangerous player on the field is the one with the ball. He took his eyes off him and started to shift to the support runner far too early, and he got burnt.

And it's another showcase as to why the kickoff in it's current state is so important to rugby league. We saw it a few weeks back against Manly too. Nathan Brown's kickoff returns showed Manly the way, and got them so far on the front foot that we just could not catch our breath.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Really frustrating second half. Too many errors at key moments, and too many guys being forced to play big, big minutes because our bench was shit.

Garner and Eisenhuth to come straight back in next week, and hopefully Luai too - especially if he's riding high from a win on Wednesday. The rest of the Origin guys can take have a break.

That missed tackle into the one to concede the try changed the whole momentum. Particularly when guys like Fish were low on energy due to huge minutes

Pjf04b

Juniors
St George’s perfect 2nd half -
2 set restarts for the first try
1 set restart for second try
Penalty for third try
captains challenge for knock on into penalty for offside for fourth try
4 penalties, 3 set restarts to 0 penalties and 2 restarts (in last 5 minutes)

Iamback

Coach
St George’s perfect 2nd half -
2 set restarts for the first try
1 set restart for second try
Penalty for third try
captains challenge for knock on into penalty for offside for fourth try
4 penalties, 3 set restarts to 0 penalties and 2 restarts (in last 5 minutes)

Our 50 missed tackles and 45% possession had more to do with the loss

Latest posts