What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. Dargons @Bluebet

age.s

First Grade
Its very very simple. Our mostly NSW cup team beat your mostly NSW cup team.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the smug Panthers supporters trudge sadly out of their cold, bleak and wet little "fortress" as I headed off towards my car.
Hope you were one of them you pathetically sore loser.
Glad you had a good night mate.

Iamback

Coach
Panthers were $1.36 favourites to win, we were $3.10
It was our mostly NSW cup team vs your mostly NSW cup team. That’s why you were heavy favourites.
Anyways.

We were favourites because punters are dumb. I personally cleaned up and actually got $3.20 once sides were named.

line up the 2 sides on games played and see where we come out in front.

Then throw in out wet weather form. It was a no brainer really

maple_69

Bench
Henry and McLean look like they have the right stuff to be Panthers. Not perfect games from them but they have the attitude and physical attributes to be successful here. Cole likewise, he’s still finding his feet but shows nice hands, a good kicking game, willingness to run and likes the contact. I think he’s got the game to compliment Cleary. Toelau had some nice touches as well, could be a handy 14, particularly when we have Garner in the side to cover the backs.

Riki had some nice moments earlier including some good shots, then showed why he hasn’t made it, just doesn’t have the complete game for the NRL. Geyer doesn’t have any NRL level elements to his game. I’d let Laurie walk at the end of this year, just not up to it and doesn’t fit our game. Hope we get a look at Iongi soon.

This Year?

Immortal
That was the worst I've seen PENRITH! play in about 4 years.
Thank you for gifting us a charity win and providing some false hope.
Once this mickey mouse series is over they'll flick the switch and have their eyes on eclipsing the 1925-29 Rabbitohs.
Good luck for the rest of the season and thank you again for the 2023 grand final xoxo

WestyLife

First Grade
Henry and McLean look like they have the right stuff to be Panthers. Not perfect games from them but they have the attitude and physical attributes to be successful here. Cole likewise, he’s still finding his feet but shows nice hands, a good kicking game, willingness to run and likes the contact. I think he’s got the game to compliment Cleary. Toelau had some nice touches as well, could be a handy 14, particularly when we have Garner in the side to cover the backs.

Riki had some nice moments earlier including some good shots, then showed why he hasn’t made it, just doesn’t have the complete game for the NRL. Geyer doesn’t have any NRL level elements to his game. I’d let Laurie walk at the end of this year, just not up to it and doesn’t fit our game. Hope we get a look at Iongi soon.

Yeah of the young guys Riki is the only one I had an issue with. The more Cole plays the more I don't mind him as 6 to cleary. McLean looks like the turuva replacement for sure and Henry the fish replacement.

murraymob

Coach
A
Not at all, just surprised that we were able to beat your mob in both grades at your home ground, im genuinely shocked.
Are you shocked by your position on the table you should be on top the way you are celebrating .As usual you will sitting on your merges ass watching come semi time

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yeah of the young guys Riki is the only one I had an issue with. The more Cole plays the more I don't mind him as 6 to cleary. McLean looks like the turuva replacement for sure and Henry the fish replacement.
Once the ball hit his foot Cole has absolutely no idea where it's going. He needs a LOT of work

Whino

Bench
It was clear what path we would be going down once the team was named Tuesday.
The packed was stacked with middles. Go hard, go early. Blow the Dargons off the park in the first half before our light and inexperienced bench would come into effect.
The folly of having only one plan, would be if we didn't fire early we would run out of gas in the 2nd half. That is exactly what happened. We were never up by enough by half-time. Poor excution and not playing to the conditions made it harder than it should have been. Even if we were up by 20 by half-time, with our bench it would still been dicey. We played for 40 not 80 lat night.

Even a coach like Flanagan could spot our game plan. He knew if the Dargons still had a sniff they could come home strong. All they had to do is hang in there and wait for the rookies. They did. They got the early try in the 2nd half and lifted another level. We just kept dropping the ball. Out of stupidity and fatigued.

We are the 3-time defending premiers. Teams always lift against us. Anyone expecting them not to turn up was silly.

I did expect the side would have a re-shuffle before kick-off, to correct the imbalance. It didn't, and we paid the price. With 10 players out it would have made more sense to have Mav start the match, Henry to prop and bring Leota off the bench later. Spread our thin pack experience.
Despite Mav being average, at least he would have been out there with our best players and we would have had 2 middles come off the bench later. Just in case we had a doggard opponent.
The rotations and the line-up were out of balance last night. We might have still lost anyway with a few tweaks to that 17. But we don't need to make it harder on ourselves from the outset.

We can't afford to fall too far behind over the Origin period. We won't have enough in the tank to make up the ground and then lift for the finals.
The Warriors and Dargons are missed opportunities. We should have at least won one of those games. We won't get weaker oppenents over this period.
What happened last week against the Sharks gave us all hope that our best is far superior to the rest of the NRL. The conundrum is we need everyone fit and not overtired.

Even with the later injury to Leota. Flogging our best prop Fish for 74 minutes was dumb. He should have had a breather before half-time. We don't need to run him into the ground.

hindy111

Post Whore
People are down playing the Dragons effort. They come out in that 2nd half with intent. Played with passion and power and simple bashed the Panthers out of it. Penrith missing more quality but 10-0 up at halftime most expected them to take care of business.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
People are down playing the Dragons effort. They come out in that 2nd half with intent. Played with passion and power and simple bashed the Panthers out of it. Penrith missing more quality but 10-0 up at halftime most expected them to take care of business.

They did turn it up in the 2nd half. That is the Drags. They only play half a game. But as @Whino correctly said we ran out of gas in the 2nd half. We had little left. The rotations sucked and we bled our best forwards dry. Our bench was putrid. We got out to 10 and probably thought we could grind it out. Also we didn't have the class to steady the team when the going got tough. Something Cleary, Edwards or Luai have done in the past.
We were our own worst enemy at times. Threw away a win as far as I am concerned.

Iamback

Coach

We let a winger run 50m off a kick return to start the 2nd half. That shows the lack of intent and that carried on

age.s

First Grade
Not sure why anyone would expect us to be focused on the oppositions performance more than ours on our own forum.

age.s

First Grade
Also, yet to see an alternative bench proposed that would have been anything but a side grade.

The cupboard is quite simply bare atm.

Iamback

Coach
Also, yet to see an alternative bench proposed that would have been anything but a side grade.

Our best forwards from that bare cupboard are those who started. You want your best on in the back of the game.

Getting to that stage without the 3 middles playing 70+ minutes gives the team the best shot to win

At 12-10 with 30mins to go. There were no tactics to pull as far as getting fresh decent middles on to get momentum back

age.s

First Grade
Our best forwards from that bare cupboard are those who started. You want your best on in the back of the game.

Getting to that stage without the 3 middles playing 70+ minutes gives the team the best shot to win

At 12-10 with 30mins to go. There were no tactics to pull as far as getting fresh decent middles on to get momentum back
I get it, but thats what I mean about sidegrades. If Riki starts, misses two bad tackles and we start off down 12-0, the narrative becomes that we gave our better forwards too much to do, should have led from the front etc.

At the end of the day, our cattle wasn't good enough.

Whino

Bench

I would have gone

Fish
Kenny
Henry
Mav
Sorro
Smith
Bench
Leota
Riki
Toelau
Lisati. 10-15 minutes is all we needed.

It mightn't have won us the game but at least we wouldn't be flogging our starters from the get go. Fish shouldn't have played the whole first half.
Peach was a wasted spot. Toelau could have covered the halves and allows a Cole in a reshuffle if injury hits the backs.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench

Riki’s played one game. Cole has had multiple and you’re warming to him.

Crazy thought but maybe we give Riki more than a 25 min cameo before saying he can’t make it 🤷

Iamback

Coach
I get it, but thats what I mean about sidegrades. If Riki starts, misses two bad tackles and we start off down 12-0, the narrative becomes that we gave our better forwards too much to do, should have led from the front etc.

At the end of the day, our cattle wasn't good enough.

I don't think we fall that far behind because a fresh Fish and what ever else combination you use.

Covers the down side.

Our 1st 3 errors came from

Sorro
Leota
Leota

But we were fresh enough to cover

I wouldn't of started Riki.

My mix using that 17 would of been

Smith
Toelau
Fish
Sorro
Mav
Kenny

Moses
Henry
Riki
Peachey

That allows you always have 2 of Smith, Henry, Fish or Leota on. While keeping them Fish where you can double up if the game is tight