What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs: Saturday 8th July 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to switch focus and look towards the next game, Round 19, as we take on the Bulldogs this Saturday night, back out there at Accor. A pretty important game in the context of our Season as we really need to back up last week's performance and get a win here. Cannot afford to drop this game, it's almost a must win. So, for that reason alone, it's a big game, but it's also a big game because we're playing our old rivals, the Dogs. Always a big game when we play them as they're one of our traditional, and most fierce rivals. We have a rivalry that stretches back well over 80 years now and there's a lot that's happened between the two clubs in that time. It's no secret we don't like each other, and that's quite simply not going to change heading into this weekend.

Well, what the hell do we make of the Dogs now? I really don't know how to read them. There's no doubt they're really struggling at the moment. Decimated by injuries, and they got beat 66-0 by the Knights yesterday which is pretty crazy. That's probably rock bottom in their Season to be honest. They're towards the bottom of the ladder and certainly doing it tough right now. However, I don't think them getting absolutely walloped is necessarily a good thing for us heading into this weekend. Despite their struggles, and they'd be very low on confidence right now, there has to be some kind of bounce back. There just has to be. They're gonna be pretty fired up to make amends and they'll see yesterday as rock bottom, it's only up from here. So, I'm expecting a pretty pumped-up Canterbury side which to be honest, could be a bit of a danger in an Origin effected game. We don't know who they're going to be missing due to Origin but hopefully both Burton and Addo-Carr get picked. They should still field a decent-ish side against us, so we need to be wary. I certainly think their main threats are out wide, they've got some pretty good, young, outside backs in the likes of Alamoti, Perham, Averillo, Kiraz etc. They'll make you pay if you go in complacent.

For us, this week is all about proving that last week was no fluke and that we really are over our slump and back on track. We simply must prove that, there's no two ways about it. I'm sure the boys will take a lot of confidence out of the way we played on Friday and that should be our standard going forward, we need to build off that and keep going. We can certainly beat the Dogs, but I don't want to see us underestimate them. There really shouldn't be any room whatsoever for complacency heading into this one. Hopefully, missing Origin players ourselves will help us not be complacent, and as I mentioned earlier, the bounce-back factor for the Bulldogs will be there and they'll come out hard. Our attitude is the number one thing I want to see the boys get right this week, especially in defence. If we can get that right, then the rest will hopefully flow off that. Try and keep your discipline like we did last week, be patient, and points will come. Play that 'Rabbitohs Footy' we've been talking about all year. We have no idea ourselves who we'll be missing due to Origin, and that is a bit of a worry, but let's just see who gets picked today and go from there. There will have to be a real 'next man up' mentality this week.

So, in the final Origin-effected Round of the Season, it's going to be a bit of a challenge for sure, but it's one that I'm looking forward to as a fan, and I'm sure the boys are too. A really important game in our Season against an old foe. Gotta get it done lads! Go do it!!

Glory, Glory.

Steenson123

Juniors
Sans Cody this is going to be another struggle.
Hawkins cannot play 5/8. He is too slow and small to threaten even what is an egregious side.
Whoever Demetriou selects he best get this one right.
Losing to St George and Canterbury within a month would be a disaster, particularly as all the ones around us are constantly winning.
We cannot throw another gift two points away against another pathetic outfit.
So who does Demetriou play here, especially at #6?

handyman2190

Bench
Hawkins cannot play 5/8. He is too slow and small to threaten even what is an egregious side.
Losing to St George and Canterbury within a month would be a disaster, particularly as all the ones around us are constantly winning.
Taafe has been groomed for the last 3 years to be a 6, he should be played at 6,AJ or gagai should go to fullback,that would be better,taafe would kill it

callmack1

Staff member
Cody and Keaon getting selected for Origin, while great for them and I'm happy to see it, is not good in terms of this game. The task has just been made that much tougher.

I really feel like the Dogs will bounce back in a big way and this will now be a really tough game, a pretty level playing field, especially because Burton wasn't picked which is more bad news.

We'll be missing 8-9 of our top 17 which is even worse than the Dragons game.

In saying that, we can't compare this to the Dragons game. In my opinion, that game was still lost on effort and attitude, not on who we were missing. If we can get our attitude right this weekend, then we can get it done.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My predicted side providing Jed is out HIA

Taaffe
AJ
Milne
Tass
Munro
Hawkins
Ilias
Tatola
Havili
T. Burgess (C)
Lovett
Chee Kam
Sele

Mamozelos (comes on 25mins in and stays on)
Moale
Shaq
DSF/Duncan

18th man Kennar

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 19 against the Bulldogs,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Kennar
5. Munro
6. Hawkins
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Havili
10. Burgess (C)
11. Chee Kam
12. Milne
13. Mitchell

14. Mamouzelos
15. Duncan
16. Moale
17. Sele

This is not fully what I want to see, it's just what I think JD will go with.

Personally, I don't really want to see Hawkins play 5/8 again, I'd much rather Taaffe at 5/8 and either AJ to fullback or Gagai in just for one game. However, I think JD will go with Hawkins again.

The rest of the side pretty much explains itself. Kennar can go okay at right center. I'd probably prefer to have Taane there but we're so short on back rowers this week I think Taane has to play there. He's shown he can do it at rep level and in terms of positioning, it's just one in, not too different so he can do it.

Tatola, Havili, Burgess, Chee Kam, Sele, Moale to all play similar roles to last week with Shaq playing lock and tallis to come on and spell him. Pete will spell Liva depending on how the game goes.

Tom captain.

That's my side, one that I think is capable of beating the Dogs. Certainly not ideal so it'll be tough though.

Gonna be an extremely interesting team list Tuesday.

Hellray

Juniors
Left field team idea…

Munro
Johnston
Tass
Milne
Kennar
Taffe
Ilas
Tatola
Mamazoulos
Burgess
Chee kam
Moale
Havili

Sele
Hawkins
Mitchell
Duncan

Hellray

Juniors
Munro was very safe under a high ball. And has a solid passing game (look for highlights of his debut in Reggie’s) keeps aj in his best position

Taffe is a half and a running half so should compliment ilias better (Hawkins and ilias exact same style it doesn’t work on the field)

Mamazoulous should and deserves a start he is being groomed to take over so let him show us what he can do

Moale adds some size to the back row in place of koala. Should help fill the void nicely and shows some nice aggression in defence.

Havili at lock just gives us an extra passer and offloader, can be a second dummy half on the field.

hawkins as a utility can cover dummy half in a pinch (d won’t be as big an issue surrounded by the big boys) and can jump into the halves with Taffe being able to drop back to cover any emergency hia.

duncan on the bench to take off Havili and play the final 60 at lock.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Munro was very safe under a high ball. And has a solid passing game (look for highlights of his debut in Reggie’s) keeps aj in his best position

Taffe is a half and a running half so should compliment ilias better (Hawkins and ilias exact same style it doesn’t work on the field)

Mamazoulous should and deserves a start he is being groomed to take over so let him show us what he can do

Moale adds some size to the back row in place of koala. Should help fill the void nicely and shows some nice aggression in defence.

Havili at lock just gives us an extra passer and offloader, can be a second dummy half on the field.

hawkins as a utility can cover dummy half in a pinch (d won’t be as big an issue surrounded by the big boys) and can jump into the halves with Taffe being able to drop back to cover any emergency hia.

duncan on the bench to take off Havili and play the final 60 at lock.
Some good options and makes a lot of sense !
The Bulldogs have signed Toby Sexton from the titans who will join them immediately and he could play against us this week…
What a bloody joke - they just keep signing players with no limit to their cap ??????

Rabbits20

Immortal
Perham has gone to Manly I think I assume Avo is FB if you look at the Dogs spine this week on paper it’s better than ours so our forwards must aim up and Milne and Tass will have to do so much shit work out of trouble as we have a lightweight back 3.

The likely spines

Avo
Burton
Sexton
Mahoney

Taaffe
Hawkins
Ilias
Havili/Mamozelos

I’m not sure where our points come from so we need Lachy and Ta’affe to both step up otherwise it could be trouble

Rabbits20

Immortal
Here's my predicted line up for Round 19 against the Bulldogs,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Kennar
5. Munro
6. Hawkins
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Havili
10. Burgess (C)
11. Chee Kam
12. Milne
13. Mitchell

14. Mamouzelos
15. Duncan
16. Moale
17. Sele

This is not fully what I want to see, it's just what I think JD will go with.

Personally, I don't really want to see Hawkins play 5/8 again, I'd much rather Taaffe at 5/8 and either AJ to fullback or Gagai in just for one game. However, I think JD will go with Hawkins again.

The rest of the side pretty much explains itself. Kennar can go okay at right center. I'd probably prefer to have Taane there but we're so short on back rowers this week I think Taane has to play there. He's shown he can do it at rep level and in terms of positioning, it's just one in, not too different so he can do it.

Tatola, Havili, Burgess, Chee Kam, Sele, Moale to all play similar roles to last week with Shaq playing lock and tallis to come on and spell him. Pete will spell Liva depending on how the game goes.

Tom captain.

That's my side, one that I think is capable of beating the Dogs. Certainly not ideal so it'll be tough though.

Gonna be an extremely interesting team list Tuesday.
No DSF or Lovett who is an out and out back rower?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Taafe
Move AJ to fullback.
If Graham is good to go, move one of Kennar or Milne to the wing.
Keep the rookie.
If Graham no good, bring in another rookie for the other wing spot and keep Kennar and Milne in the centres

handyman2190

Bench
Wont happen but taafe should be played at 6,thats what he has been groomed for,id bring gagai up to play 1,leave Aj ,milne,richie and tyrone to mark his uncle, as they were last week

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 19 against Bulldogs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-19-against-bulldogs

Team list Tuesday!!!!

A very interesting one this week but I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the side considering who is missing. It's a little different to how I predicted but there aren't too many complaints from me. It's not too bad all things considered.

Good to have Tassy back and our right edge remains the same as last week. Hawkins at 5/8 does worry me a bit when you think about the Dragons game but I'm willing to give him another chance. Surely, he'll be primed for a big one.

In the pack, it's mostly as predicted. Congrats to Tommy B on being named captain! That's a huge honor for the first time in his career. Pretty awesome! Lovett is back which I don't mind. It's his second NRL game and his first starting so a real chance to show us what he's got which is exciting. Shaq is the obvious choice at lock and the bench is as predicted.

It's actually not a bad side!! Get our attitude right and we can do the job!! Not easy now, but the boys can do it!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Hawkins is NOT a 5/8 too slow and no spark.
Taaffe should be moved into the halves, he has a smart kicking game and can step defenders plus he has good hands. He has some dash Hawkins has zero dash!!
Cannot afford to drop points to two dopey irrelevant sides like St.George and Canterbury. Simply cannot afford this especially with all the others winning constnatly.
Demetriou should have picked a more potent aggressive side that will get the V. Sele at 13 Taaffe instead of slow poke Hawkins. No Duncan and Lovett together just pick ONE of them and use Suluka-Fifita bigger and tougher.
Not sure what Demetriou is thinking cannot afford to lose to a dummy like Gould's mob. Already failed at St George.

Steenson123

Juniors
Lovett and Dunca
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 19 against Bulldogs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-19-against-bulldogs

Team list Tuesday!!!!

A very interesting one this week but I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the side considering who is missing. It's a little different to how I predicted but there aren't too many complaints from me. It's not too bad all things considered.

Good to have Tassy back and our right edge remains the same as last week. Hawkins at 5/8 does worry me a bit when you think about the Dragons game but I'm willing to give him another chance. Surely, he'll be primed for a big one.

In the pack, it's mostly as predicted. Congrats to Tommy B on being named captain! That's a huge honor for the first time in his career. Pretty awesome! Lovett is back which I don't mind. It's his second NRL game and his first starting so a real chance to show us what he's got which is exciting. Shaq is the obvious choice at lock and the bench is as predicted.

It's actually not a bad side!! Get our attitude right and we can do the job!! Not easy now, but the boys can do it!!
Lovett and Duncan should NOT be put both together here. Use instead the tougher rougher Suluka-Fifita off the bench. Start Sele at 13 I think Shaq started there against St George and it was not good. Shaq is more a bump and run drag defenders type, wear them down, not a ball player. Conversely, Sele does have some ball skills.
In sum I would have : Gagai/Sir Alex; Kennar Tass Milne Munro; Taaffe-Ilias; Tatola Havili Tom B Chee-Kam Lovett Sele. Bench: Suluka-Fifita, Shaq, Knight, Mamezolous.
In sum: Need tougher more experienced players here. And some with ball skills to compensate enough for the critical absentees. Cannot play Lovett and Duncan together it will likely fail.
Did the scheming Gwenda Gould have anything to do wth who dopey Brad picked here? It certainly looks that way!! our squad has been gutted!!

callmack1

Staff member
Lovett and Dunca

Lovett and Duncan should NOT be put both together here. Use instead the tougher rougher Suluka-Fifita off the bench. Start Sele at 13 I think Shaq started there against St George and it was not good. Shaq is more a bump and run drag defenders type, wear them down, not a ball player. Conversely, Sele does have some ball skills.
In sum I would have : Gagai/Sir Alex; Kennar Tass Milne Munro; Taaffe-Ilias; Tatola Havili Tom B Chee-Kam Lovett Sele. Bench: Suluka-Fifita, Shaq, Knight, Mamezolous.
In sum: Need tougher more experienced players here. And some with ball skills to compensate enough for the critical absentees. Cannot play Lovett and Duncan together it will likely fail.
Did the scheming Gwenda Gould have anything to do wth who dopey Brad picked here? It certainly looks that way!! our squad has been gutted!!
How do you know it will fail? Personally, I think Tallis is a tremendous player. One of our best up and comers so there's no way he was going to miss out on this game.

Benny is very solid will do a job. He has huge potential to make it.

Why won't they work together?

Also, we need someone who can spell Shaq and still have a decent passing game in the middle, Duncan is that guy.

Thumper

Juniors
How do you know it will fail? Personally, I think Tallis is a tremendous player. One of our best up and comers so there's no way he was going to miss out on this game.

Benny is very solid will do a job. He has huge potential to make it.

Why won't they work together?

Also, we need someone who can spell Shaq and still have a decent passing game in the middle, Duncan is that guy.
Lovett is not solid I’m afraid. Average Missed tackles in cup is 3.5 per game. That’s terrible.