What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 - Rabbitohs vs Sharks: Saturday 5th August 7:35pm @Optus Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
A new week brings with it a new game and a new challenge to look forward to and it's a pretty massive week this week! A very exciting one though. It's almost like Finals Footy come early in Round 23 for us as we face the Sharks over there in Perth. Huge game, absolutely massive! We sit sixth, Cronulla are seventh on points differential, so a win here is crucial and could have a big bearing come the end of the Season. It really is a crunch game.

Will be great for the boys to once again get away together and get on the road. This time, making the big trip all the way over to Perth. I believe this will be the first time we've played in Perth since Round 1 2018, so great to take a home game over there once again to Optus Stadium. I know we're really well supported over in Perth and those fans over there will be chomping at the bit. It's a big trip to Perth which can take a lot out of a Football side if it's not done right but thankfully, I think the club is flying over today. We play on Saturday so that will give them plenty of time to adjust and be ready.

Not sure how to feel about the Sharks to be honest and I don't know if this is a good time or a bad time to play them. No doubt they're down at the moment, they've lost three games in a row now and quite badly too. This weekend just gone against the Panthers would have been especially demoralising for them. So, I'm sure they'd be well and truly down on confidence right now, and there'll be some soul-searching going on in that organisation this week. While that brings opportunity for us to potentially get them while they're weak and put another nail in the coffin, it could also be a bad time to play them. Because of the way they've been going, they'll be desperate. Absolutely desperate. I think they'll come into this one extremely fired up and ready to make amends and make a statement against us so their poor form could actually turn out to be quite dangerous. I can't see them playing anywhere near as badly as they did this weekend just gone, they'll be A LOT better, so we have to be prepared for that. On their day, when they get things right, Cronulla are one of the better sides in the comp. They really are. Lead by the superstar Hynes, their backline is world class with guys like Mulitalo, Katoa and Ramien. You've then got one of the better forward packs going around with the likes of Rudolf, Hunt, Hamlin-Uele, and Nikora. Not to mention the quality of Wade Graham and Cameron McInnes coming off the bench. So, it's a pretty intimidating side full of rep-quality stars that can match it with anyone on their day, and as I said, I'm expecting them to be a lot better this Saturday.

On the flip side, I'm expecting us to be a lot better too. Although we got the win last week, you certainly wouldn't say it was a great, polished performance. We still have a stack load of work to do so we need to crank that up this week and be better ourselves. Play like we did on Friday night and the Sharks will get us no doubt. Therefore, we have to be better in all areas. That all starts with the attitude for mine. I feel like this is going to be a Finals-like game in terms of the intensity so this will give us a good test of where we're really at. The boys have to come in with that intensity, get their heads right in between the ears and be up for it, fired up and ready to go. I want to see a fully switched-on side for the full 80. We can't afford to just turn up for 60 minutes against quality opposition, especially defensively. And defence will be the key to this one. I think we made improvements in that area, but it still wasn't where I'd like it and we need to be better. Cronulla will throw a lot at us, they're one of the better attacking sides in the comp so this week is all about defence, defence, defence. Literally, I think whoever defends better in this game wins, so we need to make sure that is us. If we can get that right, the rest will flow, it's as simple as that. I know we need to be better with the ball too, but that will be okay if we get the attitude and defence right. This is a big game, so I really just want to see the boys really tune themselves up and pump themselves up. We failed to do that against the Broncos, so this week is the do over. Let's hope the result is much better. Trell, with a game under his belt, will certainly help with that and I can't wait to see him go again. There's some doubt over Sele, and I'm pretty sure Tatola will be out, so the middle forwards are going to have to step up and lead the way.

Ahhhh I feel pumped for this one already and just want it to be Saturday already!! Big game in our Season so let's hope for a big result. I know we can do this and I think we will, it's just a matter of putting it all together against a more quality opposition. Have a good week lads, work hard, enjoy it and we'll see you on Saturday night!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 23 against the Sharks,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Sele/Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13/ Murray (C)

14. Moale
15. Havili
16. Cartwright
17. Burgess/S.Mitchell

Pretty simple this week I would have thought. I don't think there'll be much change apart from possibly the front row rotation. There was some talk that Hame had a calf strain, hence why he only played 22 minutes against the Cowboys, so I have no clue if he'll play. If he's sweet, then the side remains the same, if not, I think we'd have to start Tommy B and then bring Shaq onto the bench.

Some talk that Ty Mun could be good to go for a return this week, but I don't know how accurate that is. I think Taane will be named either way tomorrow and that could change during the week.

Look forward to finding out tomorrow!

callmack1

Staff member
'When he's on, they can beat anyone' - Souths tipped to make NRL history if Latrell stays fit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/31d9d7df2c671ca18330a5a53c8ad4e7

Ken oath!!

A lot of people are up in arms over Gould's comments on us and Latrell last night. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with them.

I disagree with saying Latrell hasn't done it on the big stage as he has literally dominated in two Grand Finals for the Roosters and absolutely killed it at Origin level. To say he hasn't done it is just incorrect. To say he hasn't done it in our colours is a fair comment. He missed the 2020 Finals through injury, missed 2021 because of suspension, and then while he had great games in the first two weeks of the 2022 Series, he didn't do much in the Prelim. Latrell isn't a one-man-band. It's not his just his fault that we haven't done it, there are a number of factors. However, I do agree that he is yet to really light up a Finals Series in the Red and Green. I back him all the way though, he's a generational talent and it will happen, it's only a matter of time.

Gus is unfortunately 100% correct when talking about our team as a whole. We've fallen at the final hurdle, or close to it, the past five years so we haven't done it as a team at this time of year. That really does hurt but it's the reality. I hope with all my might that that changes this year.

So I wouldn't say I 100% agree with him, but for the most part, they're fair comments.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 23 against Sharks: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-23-against-sharks

Team list Tuesday once again ladies and gentlemen!!

Pretty solid team named this week for a huge game against the Sharks. Happy with it overall.

The backline is as expected with no changes, as are the halves. Looking good there. Great to see Munro back, fit and named 18th man. Could he be a chance of coming into the side for game day? I think so, I think he's a red-hot chance.

Probably the biggest news to come out of the line up this week is in the pack, with the rumours about Sele's calf strain unfortunately proving to be true which is a real blow. As a result, we've named Burgess to start (as I thought they would if Hame was out), and Duncan comes onto the bench. While I rate Tallis highly, I'd probably prefer to have a bigger body on the pine for this game. I personally would have picked Shaq as he can still play that lock role. Don't be surprised to see a change later in the week maybe. I just think we need as much punch as possible against a strong Sharks pack.

The other change is Host completely dropped which is probably valid. Cheeks returns from injury to replace him.

The rest of the pack is as expected.

So, having both Hame and Junior missing hurts us a bit but it's still one hell of a side that I'm pretty happy with.

Can game day just hurry up and get here now please?!

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 23 against Sharks: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-23-against-sharks

Team list Tuesday once again ladies and gentlemen!!

Pretty solid team named this week for a huge game against the Sharks. Happy with it overall.

The backline is as expected with no changes, as are the halves. Looking good there. Great to see Munro back, fit and named 18th man. Could he be a chance of coming into the side for game day? I think so, I think he's a red-hot chance.

Probably the biggest news to come out of the line up this week is in the pack, with the rumours about Sele's calf strain unfortunately proving to be true which is a real blow. As a result, we've named Burgess to start (as I thought they would if Hame was out), and Duncan comes onto the bench. While I rate Tallis highly, I'd probably prefer to have a bigger body on the pine for this game. I personally would have picked Shaq as he can still play that lock role. Don't be surprised to see a change later in the week maybe. I just think we need as much punch as possible against a strong Sharks pack.

The other change is Host completely dropped which is probably valid. Cheeks returns from injury to replace him.

The rest of the pack is as expected.

So, having both Hame and Junior missing hurts us a bit but it's still one hell of a side that I'm pretty happy with.

Can game day just hurry up and get here now please?!
I have always really liked Host but he hasn’t returned to his previous form. Last week there were way too many arm grabs, soft tackles and misses from him. I still think Shaq has definitely had the most impact off the bench and would like to see him in there. Milne has been safe under the high ball and solid ( but annoying with his carrying on) with his kick returns but has no X factor. Agree a pretty good side,,,, I think Cronulla are due for a bounce so it will be a tough game.

Steenson123

Juniors
'When he's on, they can beat anyone' - Souths tipped to make NRL history if Latrell stays fit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/31d9d7df2c671ca18330a5a53c8ad4e7

Ken oath!!

A lot of people are up in arms over Gould's comments on us and Latrell last night. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with them.

I disagree with saying Latrell hasn't done it on the big stage as he has literally dominated in two Grand Finals for the Roosters and absolutely killed it at Origin level. To say he hasn't done it is just incorrect. To say he hasn't done it in our colours is a fair comment. He missed the 2020 Finals through injury, missed 2021 because of suspension, and then while he had great games in the first two weeks of the 2022 Series, he didn't do much in the Prelim. Latrell isn't a one-man-band. It's not his just his fault that we haven't done it, there are a number of factors. However, I do agree that he is yet to really light up a Finals Series in the Red and Green. I back him all the way though, he's a generational talent and it will happen, it's only a matter of time.

Gus is unfortunately 100% correct when talking about our team as a whole. We've fallen at the final hurdle, or close to it, the past five years so we haven't done it as a team at this time of year. That really does hurt but it's the reality. I hope with all my might that that changes this year.

So I wouldn't say I 100% agree with him, but for the most part, they're fair comments.
Gwenda Gould has directly had a big influence on our squad already. He took the guts out of our side when we played his dumb-ass Bulldogs in a game they had zero chance in. But Gwenda ensured that was reversed by selecting all our key remaining players and forcing us to play a Reserve Grade unit for a contest that was CRITICAL. I keep saying it and its true: we beat both St George and Bulldogs and right now we sit in 3 or 4. That is a critical upgrade we really should have achieved because we have beaten every side above us, including putting 20 on Penrith when they HAD Iron Man.

Steenson123

Juniors
The way to Win a title is to do all the LITTLE things correctly. In particular, successfully handle your business when playing short handed i.e with key absentees. Going 2-6 in that mid-Maylate July stretch will likely force us to come up short... again. Playing Hawkins-Kennar against both St George and Canterbury was plain dumb Coaching, akin to throwing those critical games. Losing to these irrelevant teams also erodes the momentum and confidence accumulated in that tremendous 8-3 run, largely against relevant powerful squads.
We have beaten ALL squads above us, some by 13+ margins. We are the ONLY squad to have scored FOUR times against Iron Man and the ONLY team to have 20 or more on him. Unfortunately, being erraticly brilliant does not succeed in anything you do. You need to be consistently tough and grind through the difficult periods with a fair degree of success. Recover then attack, pied a plancher. This is what Penrith and Melbourne have done consistently well for seasons now and its why they have dominated Titles. Do the small things correctly and pay attention to the seemingly little, more trivial things like beating Canterbury and St George.

callmack1

Staff member
Shaq has been named in the Cup side, Tallis and Carty haven't so that tells you there will be no changes to the bench.

Also, interesting to note that Taaffey hasn't been named in the 22-Man squad at all. I find that a bit odd. Is a coincidence that's happened the week after he's signed with another club?

So what happened to Tatola? Injured?
Yep, he has a neck injury. By all reports, he'll be back against the Roosters in Round 27, Week 1 of Finals at the latest.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Shaq has been named in the Cup side, Tallis and Carty haven't so that tells you there will be no changes to the bench.

Also, interesting to note that Taaffey hasn't been named in the 22-Man squad at all. I find that a bit odd. Is a coincidence that's happened the week after he's signed with another club?

Yep, he has a neck injury. By all reports, he'll be back against the Roosters in Round 27, Week 1 of Finals at the latest.
Cheers for that mate

Steenson123

Juniors
cr
I have always really liked Host but he hasn’t returned to his previous form. Last week there were way too many arm grabs, soft tackles and misses from him. I still think Shaq has definitely had the most impact off the bench and would like to see him in there. Milne has been safe under the high ball and solid ( but annoying with his carrying on) with his kick returns but has no X factor. Agree a pretty good side,,,, I think Cronulla are due for a bounce so it will be a tough game.
Cronulla has conceeded 44 aainst the Warriors and 54 or so against Melbourne. Iron Man belted them, easing up by 28. It really should have been much higher. We and Brisbane thumped them at their revered home ground whatever its called now. Their form against playoff bound units is quite pathetic. Our form against those sides is far superior.
I, along with many others, do not rate Cronulla. Yes no game at this stage is easy however our squad should be able to sink them. Torpedo them in fact. The squad needs a comprehensive dominant V and this may be it.

callmack1

Staff member
Keaon Koloamatangi Media Round 23: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/keaon-koloamatangi-media-round-23

Campbell Graham Round 23 Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/campbell-graham-round-23-media

Man, it's cool to see how much support we have in Perth!

Gus called out over Latrell swipe as war of words ignites with Souths over 'tiresome' motives: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/777ba78eff07b6a7154fe5a44cd4038d

'He's won two rings' - Latrell's teammates warn 'he's going to be fired up' at Gould criticism: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...3/news-story/ee1b9390d7f553db9d23de67699f4d41

Hope the boys are right!!

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Round 23 Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/jason-demetriou-round-23-media

A great pre-game day interview with JD. Love hearing about the support we have over there, it sounds massive! Just goes to show there really are Rabbitohs everywhere. Hopefully they come out in force to tomorrow night to get us home.

I think JD also nailed it on how we limit Hynes. When asked, he said limiting their back three and holding the middle are the key to limiting Hynes. You'll never stop him, he's that classy of a player but we can limit him. Their back five are huge for Cronulla, they do so much work. It's similar to what Penrith do so this will be a big area of focus for us tomorrow night. Not having Kennedy there helps and there's some talk that Mulitalo may not play too. Keep them in a phone box and it will go a long way.

Holding the middle kind of goes without saying and that will be easier said than done against a good Sharks pack. I'm sure JD has a plan there and I'm calling on all the forwards in particular to step up and own the middle.

JD is clearly excited, so I am too. Huge game tomorrow on the big stage, it's a massive occasion.

Gallery - Captain's Run Round 23: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-captains-run-round-23

'Never washing my hand again' - How Latrell fever is sweeping the west: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ne...ver-is-sweeping-the-west-20230803-p5dtpp.html

callmack1

Staff member
Well, here we are. It's Saturday, the day has finally arrived, which means game day for Round 23 2023 is here! Rise and shine my fellow South Sydney members and fans, let's get ready for a big one! We take on Cronulla tonight over in Perth in what is going to be a monumental occasion. Just massive honestly. This is such an important game, not only for us, but the Sharks too, as we're on the same points and are only separated by for and against. So, this is crucial in terms of both team's Seasons tonight. Win, and you get one step closer to a potential top four. Lose however, and you could find yourself out of the eight all together. On top of all this, we're at Optus Stadium in Perth and there's expected to be 40 to 50,000 people there so we're going to be playing in front of a near packed house. This has Finals intensity come early written all over it.

Looking at the Sharks tonight, I still don't know what to make of them. We all know what they are capable of, we all know what they can produce when they're on and that's top four performances. However, for three weeks now, they've looked anything but that. They've seriously fallen into a slump lately with three tough losses in a row and have been sliding down the ladder quite dramatically. Therefore, I'm not sure if that makes me more confident, or more worried about tonight. I think more worried to be honest. They'll be sick of the way they've been going; they'll know they can do better and I'm sure they'll come into this one extremely fired up and desperate as it's starting to get to do or die stages for them. Yea, they might be down on confidence, but I think the bounce back factor trumps that for them tonight. There'll definitely be some sort of bounce back, so it really is beware of the wounded Shark tonight. I expect them to be much, much better than they have been in recent weeks because they simply have to be. That's going to be hard to contain. We really do have to be ready for an ambush tonight because I can feel one coming. They're too good of a side to not be playing Finals and I think we'll see that tonight. There's strike everywhere in the backs with Katoa, Ramien etc, they obviously have Hynes who is the main threat to stop (JD explained how we do this pretty well yesterday) and they have one of the better packs in the game on their day lead by Rudolf, Hamlin-Uele. Graham and Nikora. They're all going to step up tonight, so we have to be ready.

For us, this is seriously a crucial game in the context of our Season. You can't understate it, it's massive. It's a game where we have an opportunity to really stand up, get ourselves out of our own form slump, and make a statement against some quality opposition. We have to, we simply have to. Of course, I want a win, but I just want to see some signs that the side is building and starting to go on a run. We didn't really see that last week, but this game tonight is an opportunity to show it. So, stand up boys. Lift. Go do it. Make this our Manly 2014 game. Our statement game. There's no reason why we can't as long as the attitude is right. I've said this for weeks because it's so true, but I want to see our attitude on song tonight. No excuse not to be up for this one. Bring the energy, bring the focus, bring the intensity, and everything else will flow off the back of that. It all starts with defence so that's the key area of focus tonight. It was good for 60 minutes last week, but we're now playing a much more dangerous attacking side, so it needs to be an 80-minute defensive performance. If we nail that, we can beat the Sharks. I know we'll be better attack wise, there's just still a question mark over our ability to defend. But that question mark can be eliminated tonight, that's the aim. If we get our game right and play the Rabbitohs Footy everyone keeps talking about, we can do this!!

Big game. It's 7:30am in the morning here and I can already feel the intensity. No doubt that feeling will just rise as the day goes on. I'm so up for this, hopefully the boys are too. Let's gooooooooo!!

Glory, Glory.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well Game Day is here once again and what a big one it is tonight. Semi finals footy has come early that’s for sure and enormous game tonight us our mighty Rabbitohs currently in 6th place take on the 7th placed Cronulla Sutherland Sharks. Over in Perth as well in front of about 50,000 fans it’s going to be an enormous stage. Whoever wins this will push closer to top 4 and still be in that hunt and whoever loses could drop outside the top 8 the stakes don’t get much higher. We had a scrappy win against the Tigers last week and will be looking to be better tonight. We have to improve and I’m sure JD and the boys know that. What’s more is there has been some criticism of Trell this week from Gould and I hope our Trell Mit uses that as fuel to turn it on even more. Also for the Sharks they have copped criticism especially Hynes from Slothfield so they’ll have a point to prove as well after having lost 3 in a row they’ll be desperate tonight their season is on the line. We simply have a lot to play for as well and we need to dig deep and want it more than them. It’s great the last few days on social media and the news too to see how much support we have over in Perth so I’m sure they will be out in force tonight cheering the boys on.

Looking more at the Sharks they have lost Kennedy but Tracey is a good player and will fill in well. They have plenty of strike in attack out wide in Ramien, Talakai, Katoa etc…… and they have a strong pack with Rudolf, Hamlin Uele, Nikora, McInnes, they have a strong bench as well plus of course the all dangerous Hynes as well. Hynes is a star player no doubt about that and limiting the metres they make in the middle will go a long way to stopping Hynes. If we are off our game the Sharks can make you pay and really turn it on so we can’t afford to let that happen. For us we have lost Sele but it gives an opportunity to Duncan who comes in on the bench. There is talk Munro will come in too so I look forward to seeing him play with close to our best side. Also it is good to have Cheeks back from injury he will bring solid defence to the table and do his job. For us we need to turn up with the right attitude that’s for sure and the right mindset. We need to complete highly kick to corners etc……. Get our line speed and kick chase on and be patient in attack not trying to score off every play….. winning that battle in the middle will go a long way towards winning. I’d like to see our defence improve even more and we need to stop the offloads as well can’t let Cronulla offload at will.

Ok not long til the players run out here onto Optus Stadium here in Perth. Its been great out and about seeing all the support we have here in Perth the last few days and great seeing so many of you out here tonight in the Mighty Cardinal and Myrtle ready to help get our boys those vital 2 competition points tonight! Let’s make plenty of noise for the full 80mins for a win we see our boys stay in that hunt for a top 4 spot.

……………… Ok Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks……….

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1……………………

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEEEETTTTTT……… MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE FOR YOUR BOYS HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RRRAAAABBBBIIITTTOOOHHHSSSSS!!!

LETS GO RRRAAABBBIIITTOOHHHSSSS!!!

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO GET EM ONSIDE

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOO HIGH TACKLE TODD

SECOND EFFORT HOW LONG CAN THEY LAY ON FOR BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN TODD BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FORWARD PASS BBBBOOOOOOOOO WAKE UP TOUCHIE

Latest posts