1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 19 vs Newcastle

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by getsmarty, Sep 12, 2020.

1. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Knights find some pre-finals form to thump dismal Dragons who ‘wouldn’t have beaten Dapto’
    NRL Premiership
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Newcastle's Kalyn Ponga celebrates after scoring a try.Source: News Corp Australia
    Newcastle has bounced back into some impressive pre-finals form by putting a seven-try thumping on St George Illawarra who just want the season to end.

A week after being embarrassed by the high-flying Roosters and challenged by coach Adam O’Brien, the Knights won 42-18 on Old Boys’ Day in the Hunter.

Kalyn Ponga returned from a week’s rest to score a try and assist in two others, along with five tackle busts and two linebreak assists.

The Knights are guaranteed a spot in the top eight but their title credentials came into question after last week’s heavy loss.

Round 19
    Sunday’s result will go some way to ensuring fans the Hunter side can at least be competitive come October.

Dragons coach Dean Young lamented a lack of effort, particularly in defence.

“We wouldn’t have beaten Dapto the way we played in the first half. It was Under 8s stuff,” Young said.

“They made 60-something tackles and we made 410. That’s not an excuse, we’re much better than that and the players know that.

“When you let in soft tries it’s sort of a reflection what the game means to you. Have we had enough, or are we sitll really wanting to fight to the death?"

Ponga took less than four minutes to find the tryline against Dragons, finding space and a pass from Chris Randall to go over under the posts.

The Knights were in again only minutes later when Gehemat Shibasaki produced some mid-air magic to snatch the ball and come down on the goal line.

The conversion made it 12-0 and the game wasn’t even 10 minutes old.

Then Ponga was in the action again when he put Aidan Guerra over in the 23rd minute to extend the lead.

Some soft as butter Dragons defence let Daniel Saifiti fall through the middle of them and make the score 24-0 after 27 minutes.

The Dragons finally got some points on the board when Zac Lomax scored and converted his own try to make it 24-6.

Newcastle hit back in quick time when Enari Tuala capitalised on a Red V error to get their fifth try.

It was 30-6 at the break.

Newcastle started the second half hot and Jacob Saifiti extended the lead in the 52nd minute.

The Dragons got one back when rookie winger Cody Ramsey broke away down the sideline and passed inside to Corey Norman who made it to the line.

The Knights went in again when Tuala scored his second and Mason Lino converted to make it 42-12.

Lomax got one back for the Dragons as a late consolation but it was far too little, far too late.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/fe96cf48848ca4f6fc0278ed45caaa9e

ALSGI, blacksafake and TruSaint like this.
  2. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

Yeah I wasn’t talking about you, reminding myself on others about the reality of it.

TruSaint likes this.
  3. George Dragon

George Dragon Juniors

20200920_191524.jpg

Mjab and Forbes Creek Dragons like this.
  4. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Rubbish.

We would have beaten Dapto........................................................................................................................................................
    in extra time.

5. Forbes Creek Dragons

blacksafake likes this.
  6. I'm Hornby

I'm Hornby Juniors

So how do you feel now about saying you understood Williame getting a go over Feagai?

Any talented youngsters would do better than the shit the experienced players are tossing up at the moment and I hope that's now clear as daylight for you to see mate.

SaintPauli, Gareth67 and hazzbeen like this.
  7. Crush

Crush First Grade

Is there anyone who still thinks Hunt is "a fine player"?
    "He's good enough for QLD so he's good enough for us"?
    I'm so far done with him its not funny.
    I actually think he should just be cut loose at end of this season.
    Norman same boat.
    Accept it, cop the salary cap pain and move forward.

8. Forbes Creek Dragons

Yeah I wouldn’t object to Feagai being picked next week but I could see the logic in how Young went. Didn’t go to plan.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Take aways from todays train wreck
    1. Evidently there is nobody in our club capable of teaching the correct way to set and maintain a defensive line.
    2. Williame & Fuimaono are complete myths and are just road blocks.
    3. Ford needs to do an awful lot of work on his defence.
    4. Lomax is trying to do his own defence plus that of some lazy and ineffective team mates and causes him to be caught out of position on occasions.
    5. Vaughan is either badly out of favour or has checked out.
    6. Norman & Hunt as halves generate no speed around the ruck for our attack. The last 15 minutes or so of today's game showed what a difference it makes to have speed in and around the ruck as we looked half ways decent because we finally had some bodies in motion.
    7. None of our fledgling players are going to be immune from mistakes. However watching them grow into their positions will be far more enjoyable than watching some of the shit ordinary stuff served up by so called "senior" players.
    8. We don't have 1 forward capable of turning a game on its head.
    9. The total impotence of our team is beyond comprehension and to think we can be so bad at the basics of this game is a very sad realisation for the fans and it is to be hoped that we will see significant improvement by CS time if only in respect of all the 1%'ers.

10. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

Spot on bud......unfortunately Griffin alone wont fix this mob as it stands today...at least 6 new players need to be added to this roster for starters....tbh they dont need to be super stars but be players that are willing to put their body on the line for the Red V.....you dont have to be Einstein to work out that on close observation 1 bloke will be having a real go and 4 wont.....or 2 blokes will be having a crack and 5 wont and so on......if you look at teams like The Roosters or The Storm for example its rare if at all that all 17 players are not playing their guts out for one another......our problem started when McGregor was appointed and our blokes knew that they wouldnt be dropped or dragged over the coals for repeated piss poor efforts on the field....you can have all the structures, set plays and game management that you wont, but if you dont have player management, discipline and selection based on performance you may as well go piss in the wind

11. possm

possm Coach

What is Young doing our team?

He sit down and work something out for next wee, Tonight both Feagai and Ramsey id a reasonable job and so I believe with an off season under their belt they will fit in fine next season. What really surprised me was the way Lomax slipped into Hunt's position, he is truly a versitile player.

There are so many of our players beyond the possibility of persorming at first grade standard and although a few backs will come in to fill the gaps, we badly need a more robust fullback in our team.

I would love to see the likes of Dufty, Saab, Sailor, Pereira, Williame, Norman, Hunt, Laurie, Ellis, K Sims and Merrin be moved on at the end of this season. We already have Frizell, Aitken and Lafai leaving to play with other clubs. We need a big cleanout to make things right at the Dragons.

I'd love us to bring in some bright young talent with a sprinkling of experience.

• For 2021, I'd like to see:
    • Fullback - RTS or even JAC
    • Wingers - Ramsey and Feagai
    • Centres - Lomax and Feagai
    • Five-Eight - Maloney
    • Halfback - Sullivan
    • Lock - JDB if we're lucky
    • Edge Forwards - T Sims, a new recruit, Ford
    • Props - Vaughan, Welch, McGuire, Pangai Jr, Big O.
    • Hookers - McInnes and a new recruit
    Griffin and his coaching staff have a big job ahead of him and I believe a big cleanout is needed in order to start on the right foot.

12. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

He went with Norman starting again, I think you’re being kind re: logic.

I'm Hornby likes this.
  13. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

To be honest I’m not surprised by today’s performance.
    The coaching staff have all been moved on & rightly so & along with Young throwing his toys out of the cot this week I reckon some of the players are well & truly looking for the season to end.
    The blooding of more younger players has been needed over the last month in order to try & bring some enthusiasm to the squad regardless of results. If you thought today was bad just wait until next week, especially with Bellamy being disappointed in the storms defence.It will be brutal with the storm preparing for the semis.

14. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Its always easier playing with a good team and players .... Put any player in this team for 5 years under Marys coaching and see how that goes ..... I do hear you mate they need a total clean out ....

Mjab, Dragon David and blacksafake like this.
  15. 62baby

62baby Juniors

I wonder if the NRL could charge the board with bringing the game into disrepute? Might be the only way to get rid of them.

I'm Hornby, SaintPauli, Mjab and 3 others like this.
  16. Banjo2014

Banjo2014 Juniors

After the first twenty minutes I turned to Banjo (6 years old) and said it's all your fault.

Little bastard replies

You asked for the remote
    You turned the football on
    You knew they were going to lose
    You keep watching it

You're the one to blame

At least he was wearing his Dragons jersey

17. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Well I have only now awoken from my Sunday arvo beauty nap . I am ever so pleased to see that our beloved mighty Dragons held the Knights to a respectable draw in the second half .

What a damn shame that the result of a game is not decided upon the second half score line only .

Ooops ! There goes that Mary philosophy again , I just cannot seem to get it out of my head . So can you imagine what horrific injuries have been done to the players minds after 7 years of it .

Little wonder that they wander around the field like a pack of bovine sheep .

Time to get the trusty 303 caliber out Hook and put some of them out off their misery .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    I'm Hornby, ALSGI, SaintPauli and 6 others like this.
  18. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

He's right bro... :) :)

ALSGI, Banjo2014 and hazzbeen like this.
  19. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

How did we ever get here .... ?

20. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

10 years of an incompetent board my friend.
    Not Price not Mary not crap players.
    It starts and ends with the board. Hopefully the new appointment changes that mate.