What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs: Friday 28th April 8pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Sorry this is a little late, let's just say I've had a 'big' weekend haha. I still don't really have the time to write up a full, proper report like I need to so instead of doing a full player by player like I normally do, I'll just do my stand outs or players I want to highlight.

After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, particularly in that second half. First half, we were looking okay. Making meters was no problem as the forwards laid a great platform there. We were putting on some nice attacking shapes and were asking plenty of questions of the Broncos, but I just thought we looked a little proppy, if that's the right word. So often we'd be setting up well, but then it'd be an error or a lack of execution on some kind of play that meant we weren't able to finish things off. When I say, 'lack of execution,' I'm talking about the little things like slightly mistimed or misdirected passes which means the receiver has to check up on his run, allowing a millisecond or two more for the Brisbane defence to get there and cover, just stuff like that. That's why the first half was so close I reckon. In saying that, we did still score two beautiful tries, particularly that one off the scrum. That was very smart play.

Thankfully, we cleaned all this up in the second half and it showed in our dominance. Again, the Broncos couldn't stop our pack's roll on and everything else just flowed from there. We made far less errors, the execution was better, and we looked a lot more dialed in. The effect of this showed on the scoreboard. It was 12-6 at halftime and the final score was 32-6 so that's quite the second half. 26 unanswered points I think it was. We were just dominant. It was a dam had burst and the Broncos just couldn't stop our flow of points. The boys were lethal and ruthless. Some beautiful tries out there, so good to watch. Yea, a couple of tries we scored there were a bit lucky or had some element of fortune to them but I'm a firm believer of making your own luck and we certainly did that.

Despite all this, I still feel like we left a few tries out there so there's still so much improvement in us. But what we did do, is make a statement to the rest of the comp.

Defence

Probably the most pleasing part of this game no doubt. It's important to remember that we weren't playing no slouches when it comes to attacking Footy. We were up against one of the best attacking sides in the comp, if not the best in 2023. I know they were missing players, but they still have enough depth to be a very dangerous side.

But apart from a shaky start and the one early try, they had nothing. Our defence was that good that we held them to just six points. No points at all in the second half. It was honestly incredible, just had a real steelie look to them. The Broncos barely looked like scoring to be honest.

Our 'D' in general play was also pretty good and while conceding a few line breaks, they didn't really amount to anything because of our scramble. I also really liked our physicality. It seemed like our line speed was a lot better and the boys were hitting and sticking, stopping the Broncos player in his tracks and/or driving him back.

Great defensive performance.

Player by Player/Standouts

L.Mitchell: When you're talking about stand outs from this game, there's no way TrellMit doesn't get mentioned as his great form continued. A bit quiet in the first half I will admit, but he absolutely exploded in the second and from then on, he dominated. Just toyed with the Broncos. He was involved in everything. Hit ups, kick returns, positional play, it was all really great from Trell. We had a lot of joy down the edges, and it was often Latrell chiming in and delivering the final pass. Loved his effort in our third try. He sniffed out the play, got himself in a position just in case as he trailed the ball. Once it was knocked on and fell into his hands, you knew he wasn't going to be stopped from there. Not that close to the line. Showed some real power and determination to go straight through a couple of defenders and crash over. Minutes later, he had a hand in another try with his quick hands in a sort of 'Netball pass' style to Taane providing the space for Taane to set Stretch up. That was a brilliant bit of skill. Then finally, the last try where Trell just looked like he was in the backyard. Shrugged off a couple of tackles, pranced around a little, saw that Reece Walsh was out of position on the wing, and delivered a pinpoint kick. Just like his first try, he didn't give up on the play, tracked across and got in a position to get the ball off AJ's knocked back. It was great skill but it was also great determination and Footy smarts. Without the ball, Trell was just as impressive. Special mention to that incredible try saver on Walsh that only he could do. I know Tassy played his part there, so credit to him for that, but Latrell was probably the biggest part of it.

Graham: Well, I don't even really know how to even begin to describe this performance from Stretch the other night. Seriously, he was out of this world. I think someone said beast mode, and that is actually a perfect way to describe it. Early on, I was a little concerned with his defence. The Broncos were killing us on the edges and I thought Graham was making a few poor defensive decisions and missing a few tackles. But to his credit, he shook that stuff off and became an absolute barrier on the left edge for us for about 60 minutes. Almost nothing got past him and he kept Farnworth pretty quiet which has proven pretty hard to do. But his exploits with the ball were even better than that. He ran absolutely riot over them. 15 runs for 151 meters which is great in itself, but how about we chuck in 3 tries, a line break, a try assist, a line break assist and 7 tackle breaks?! Insane. His first try was good vision. He spotted the space in behind, gave Lachy the que and he did the rest, beautiful try off a kick. His second try was smart team play off the scrum but man, it was a good line run by Stretch. Powered through two defenders in a show of strength. Third try, just as brilliant but this time it's great support play to take a remarkable pass off Taane to score. But for me, probably the most impressive part of his night was the try assist for Cody. It must have been a set move surely. Either that, or Cody and Campbell have a telepathic connection. To take the pass from Lachy and then snap a ball back on the inside in the blink of an eye without looking takes real skill. Amazing play. I am just so stoked at how far this guy has come. He's now one of the premier centers in the game I reckon. Certainly man of the match on Friday.

Walker: Outstanding again. He really is in good form. The Broncs struggled to pick him as he pulled the strings. Was heavily involved and had a hand in a lot of the good stuff we did in attack. Even in the little half chances, it was often Cody who was throwing the pass to create it. Had a hand in the first try, had a hand in Trell's first with a pin point kick, identified and started the play where AJ almost scored, and scored one himself. Honestly, the way he spots the hole opening in that play and cuts back in slightly to take the pass of Stretch, it was amazing. I'd also like to note his kicking game was pretty solid and his defence was outstanding. Watching the replay, I counted about three times where he saved a try.

Ilias: I think the quality of his performance has been slightly overlooked in this one. I thought he was absolutely fantastic. Firstly, the perfect kick for Graham's first. Probably the most pinpoint grubber I've ever seen Lachy do so that was awesome. I also want to acknowledge his role in Graham's second try. While he didn't actually touch the ball in that play, you could almost credit him with a try assist because he played a fantastic decoy role out the back. All eyes were on him and not Stretch. His ball playing was so good. Executed his role perfectly and it's gone down so unnoticed. He was taking the ball right to the line before delivering a perfect pass, very classy. Had a hand in two of our other tries and it was good ball playing on both. Kicking game also good. Played such an underrated role on Friday night.

Tatola: A very welcome return, made a huge difference to our pack. A massive 20 runs for 192 meters. Huge contribution.

Murray: I thought he was a little off to be honest. Was unlucky with that professional foul call early on and after that, he didn't really have a great game. Now, I am judging this by Cam's VERY high standards usually. Some of his passes were far too telegraphed and the Broncos were going for the intercept.

Burgess: Wow, wow, wow. Incredible from big Tommy B. If Campbell Graham didn't have such a good game, you'd easily give man of the match to Tom, he was that good. Came on and provided insane impact off the bench. Every run he had was huge. Barnstorming. Constantly poked his nose through and had the defence on the back foot. 188 run meters for him. Huge game.

Just really stoked with the win! No doubt our best for the Season. Certainly, the most dominant. Over top of the ladder too, away from home. Amazing stuff. I know they were missing players but we did exactly what we should have. It was tuly awesome and I couldn't be more proud.

Glory, Glory!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Ilias growing in confidence as Bunnies continue their climb: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/04/30/ilias-growing-in-confidence-as-bunnies-continue-their-climb/

'It shouldn't happen' - NRL hands down penalty after Souths caught with extra man: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c231564b0744a3ecdcdfc4e0aa9812f9

Of course it shouldn't happen but it's not a big deal. Some people are saying we should have points stripped but that's just ridiculous I reckon. It was for 15 seconds when we were way in front. Had no impact on the game whatsoever. We didn't score with 14 on the field. Cop the fine and move on.

'Didn't make one tackle' - Latrell's savage Reynolds sledge after 'f**king headbutt' claim: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/4c84242b799a0051996362e3b7d37b61

Full team and player stats can be found here: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2023/round-9-broncos-v-rabbitohs/

Steenson123

Juniors
Regardless of what the so called "analysts" say we have a brilliant squad, a team for the ages. One statistic says it all: the F/A is +78 a staggering stat when one factors in the Strength of Schedule. Its far better than The Witches [+24] and superior to that of Cleary [+72]. We are second only to Hynes [+82]. That in itself verifies that our squad is on target to finish either First or Second. When one considers the upcoming Schedule and barring injury or misadventure, everything is totally possible.
We have an elite NRL team. And its high time players the calibre of Cook, Walker, Murray and Graham won it all. These men have been far too classy to never win anything.

Last edited: