What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Remarkable. They didn't see Fainu's incident coming sure but he was over 100 first grade games at that point and premiership winner. Definately one of the big recruitment blunders of the modern era of NRL.
It’s all hindsight. Fainu had played 30-odd games (admittedly all off the bench) and was considered the future. If he was going to play big minutes getting 350k back from offloading Api and paying some freight makes sense (particularly given how much Manly have tied up in the big three).

Obviously Api has become a much better player and Fainu is a criminal so it looks terrible, but can’t really fault the retention decision made at the time.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
For a NSW Cup player I think he means.
Blade did mention his his post (and I know things can change quickly this)
Like with the Laurie/Mom the situation is always changing. Last week it was all about money. This week a player swap. The Tigers are very keen to move Peach on and he is keen to come back here.
At the moment our offer is a swap with the Tigers paying freight. Gives us room to move to re-sign other players. Still a bit to play out.

No keeping him. Want a bit of insurance.

Hence my comment.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I have mentioned Cole
If Turuva or Jenkins goes well and we move Tago, Then he can go to the backs if injury hits not sure we need the utility next year. So plenty of options

Yep if they want a utility Cole would be a good chance. If we got Peachey he would by no means be a walk up start on our NRL bench, it would have to be because we are saving some cap space imo, they could not be looking to bring Peachey in to play a significant role. Im sure it would be us taking him on and paying him less than we would be paying Charlie. If we can free 100-150k for 2023 then have whatever we are paying Peach off the books after 2023 that could be the difference in keeping someone who matters. Mistakes are always made by clubs but a straight swap of Charlie for Peachey with no money saved is just crazy.

Assuming we get Peach for something close to the minimum which saves us a bit on Charlie its not a bad move. We have promoted a lot of the best young guys already Jenkins got moved up, Henry has a dev contract, turuva got moved up, anyone we promote in Charlies place will be on at least the minimum and they wont be ready for another year anyway and after next year Peachey will likely not be kept unless he has a miraculous comeback so we have that spot available for 2024. Assuming we save money on Peach its low risk and gives us an experienced to player to help the cup side.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Yep if they want a utility Cole would be a good chance. If we got Peachey he would by no means be a walk up start on our NRL bench, it would have to be because we are saving some cap space imo, they could not be looking to bring Peachey in to play a significant role. Im sure it would be us taking him on and paying him less than we would be paying Charlie. If we can free 100-150k for 2023 then have whatever we are paying Peach off the books after 2023 that could be the difference in keeping someone who matters. Mistakes are always made by clubs but a straight swap of Charlie for Peachey with no money saved is just crazy.

Assuming we get Peach for something close to the minimum which saves us a bit on Charlie its not a bad move. We have promoted a lot of the best young guys already Jenkins got moved up, Henry has a dev contract, turuva got moved up, anyone we promote in Charlies place will be on at least the minimum and they wont be ready for another year anyway and after next year Peachey will likely not be kept unless he has a miraculous comeback so we have that spot available for 2024. Assuming we save money on Peach its low risk and gives us an experienced to player to help the cup side.

Experienced guys on minimum wage are always good, We seem to have a more versatile squad next year but will be very young. Peachey will help that

Staines' issue is he can only really play 2 positions. So swapping for someone that can fill in anywhere is a win

John Hamblin

Juniors
I liked Peachey when he was here, but don't really see the point in bringing him back. Would rather be trying to find a hooker somewhere. Robson, for example.
There is NO way we sign Robson . He has been a revelation this year, Those dumb idiots at The Dragons let him go and kept Mc Cullough. Robson would be far too expensive . We will miss Api but are we missing Burton and Capewell. Not too much trust the retention decisions. They have not made too many bad decisions in the last 3/4 years.

There is NO way we sign Robson . He has been a revelation this year, Those dumb idiots at The Dragons let him go and kept Mc Cullough. Robson would be far too expensive . We will miss Api but are we missing Burton and Capewell. Not too much trust the retention decisions. They have not made too many bad decisions in the last 3/4 years.

This isn’t the same as Burton & Capewell. We didn’t have a spot for those guys in their preferred position. With Api we had a spot but didn’t want to meet the asking price. Makes no sense to me to throw big bucks at Crichton and to let Api leave. We should strongly consider going after a hooker with Crichton’s money.

If Crichton isn’t re-signed, there’s heaps of money to go after a hooker. And we have Jenkins or Turuva to possibly fill his spot. I think it makes some sense to make a play for Robson before trying to sign Crichton.

Tyrone’s best footy is behind him, there would be no logical reason to bring him back. I loved him as a player with us first time round, but hasn’t been NRL standard for a few seasons now.

The reason is cap space. That‘s logical if it helps us re-sign someone we want.

Latest posts