What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
As you said the other day, Robson is a good target. I’m not saying go and throw money at anyone, it has to be a good investment. If that doesn’t work, stick with what we have.

Robson is but very hard to pry quality players away, Which is why the Api thing was dumb.

Robson is but very hard to pry quality players away, Which is why the Api thing was dumb.

It is, but he’s from Sydney so it wouldn’t be a shock if he wanted to return. And being a quality team helps as well.

The only issue is having to wait until November 1st, which means other teams can start talking to Crichton. You risk not having either.

Munky

Coach
With any luck Api will relapse into his ways and hit up the thirty year old Gilfs of Campbelltown on Tinder.

The ensuing media circus seeing him lose form leading to an eventual release allowing him to sign with Penrith for 2024 and onwards.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
With any luck Api will relapse into his ways and hit up the thirty year old Gilfs of Campbelltown on Tinder.

The ensuing media circus seeing him lose form leading to an eventual release allowing him to sign with Penrith for 2024 and onwards.
😂

Actually I was thinking the same. 😂

Crashtest

Juniors
If Crichton isn’t re-signed, there’s heaps of money to go after a hooker. And we have Jenkins or Turuva to possibly fill his spot. I think it makes some sense to make a play for Robson before trying to sign Crichton.
It’s not just a question of whether to re-sign a centre or go after a hooker though. It’s a question of what the coaching staff think of who is needed to keep the club in a strong top 4 position and challenging for premierships for years to come.

A huge part of the clubs success over the last 3 seasons is the strong team first culture and tight bond of the playing group. Luai, To’o and Crichton play a huge part of that, and the club may decide there is more benefit to keeping them together, happy and bonded to the club rather than letting 1 or 2 go in order to go after another hooker.

They would also play a strong role in keeping other Polynesian players at the club as well.

Last edited:
It’s not just a question of whether to re-sign a centre or go after a hooker though. It’s a question of what the coaching staff think of who is needed to keep the club in a strong top 4 position and challenging for premierships for years to come.

A huge part of the clubs success over the last 3 seasons is the strong team first culture and tight bond of the playing group. Luai, To’o and Crichton play a huge part of that, and the club may decide there is more benefit to keeping them together, happy and bonded to the club rather than letting 1 or 2 go in order to go after another hooker.

They would also play a strong role in keeping over Polynesian players at the club as well.

That’s a fair point about the bond between players, there’s a fine line to walk there. However I don’t think signing guys because they’re mates with others is a good long term strategy. Let the players down gently, explain to them that tough decisions have to be made. Hooker is just too important a position in the modern game.

Smug Panther

First Grade

They would also play a strong role in keeping over Polynesian players at the club as well.
Team first, not race or culture first is the key

Iamback

Coach
It is, but he’s from Sydney so it wouldn’t be a shock if he wanted to return. And being a quality team helps as well.

The only issue is having to wait until November 1st, which means other teams can start talking to Crichton. You risk not having either.

You can talk to any player at any stage, just not make them an offical offer before Nov 1.

The issue is for us, We are being too cautious and will wait until the cap is set.
Which we will be in finals, Then guys over with the World Cup. By which time we have missed the boat.

We really need to get aggressive with recruitment

Crashtest

Juniors
That’s a fair point about the bond between players, there’s a fine line to walk there. However I don’t think signing guys because they’re mates with others is a good long term strategy.
Agree if the players were not good enough to hold down their own positions. But all three I mentioned are current SOS players.

Crichton cops a lot of negative comments on here, but I just don’t get why. Sure, he is not yet up to Manu level yet, but he is six years younger than him.

age.s

First Grade
I think signing Peachey would be an excellent litmus test on how good our systems actually are. Sounds like it'll improve our cap position and in a best case scenario there's huge upside. Good business.

Crashtest

Juniors
Team first, not race or culture first is the key
Agree. And all three play a huge part in the team first culture.

Their influence to help keep other Polynesian players at the club is just a bonus.

As great as Nathan and JFH are, they are introverted personalities, and great teams need other personality types like To’o, Crichton and Luai.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I so agree. Each day, it seems. Every day.

Very similar to when Burton was leaving.

Inflitrates every single thread too, on a daily basis.
It's nothing like that, nothing at all fmd. Most said Burton is a better 6.....yes 6 but we picked Luai and that was that. Replacing a young rookie playing centre is nothing like replacing the best hooker in the game

Crashtest

Juniors
It's nothing like that, nothing at all fmd. Most said Burton is a better 6.....yes 6 but we picked Luai and that was that.
Did most say that though? Or just the few hardcore Burton fans.

They are different style of players, but that doesn’t mean that Burton is a better six than Luai.

I feel the last 3 seasons have shown the club made the right call in which of them would make a better halves parter with Nathan.

Latest posts