What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saint trent ?

bottle

Coach
If negotiations are almost a done deal with Penrith , as some are predicting, why the heck would they fly him to England ?
Thats one way to destabilise a close knit team ...

It's a 2016 thing they're talking about I believe. We still have to get through 2015, and Merrin should still be a part of that.

TruSaint

Referee
All the indicators point that he will see out 2015 having secured his future with either of the other 15 teams.
As all the indicators in the past have led to head on collisions and dead ends, rest assured he will leave before the season proper, after a holiday in England.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Two words come to mind
RESOLUTION DISTRACTION
Arrive at a resolution........ it deletes the distraction
The more this drags on , the more the distraction...and our mob isnt going to need too many distractions ahead of a tough season in prospect ...

murraymob

Coach
Gould (and I assume Cleary) rates him obviously. Aren't you prepared to give Gus the benefit of the doubt given what he has delivered so far?

he has delivered exciting juniors .Some by the years end will be close to merrin and a 1/4 of the price

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
If Penrith desperately want Merrin, then we need to negotiate a swap for Sika Manu, not meekly surrender like we did with Morris.

I agree with the earlier post, what the hell does Dylan Nappa have to do with whether Merrin leaves? Separate issue the way I see it.

mxlegend99

Referee
If Penrith desperately want Merrin, then we need to negotiate a swap for Sika Manu, not meekly surrender like we did with Morris.

I agree with the earlier post, what the hell does Dylan Nappa have to do with whether Merrin leaves? Separate issue the way I see it.
Unlikely that its the truth. But if it is, it's probably the space under the salary cap. Merrin stays, thats $500k+ you don't have. He leaves you van sign a Napa and a Docker or Manu for the same money.

Napa and Docker would sure add mongrel to the Dragons pack. But honestly I doubt there's much credibility to the Napa rumour. I would think Dragons would sign him if possible and worry about the cap complications afterwards.

mickeylane

Bench
Bullshit. Napa either is or he isn't. Nothing to do with Merrin. Who in their right mind would agree to change clubs on the provision that your new club doesn't land the bloke they are trying to keep?

No one.

The rest of your post looks good but its all still pie in the sky stuff.

The words is that Nappa like Merrin is currently weighing up where to go - originally when Merrin was touted for Roosters the Dragons asked for Nappa plus $$ then it went cold but Nappa still wanted in. Other clubs chasing him now include :
Gold Coast
Parra
Canberra

There's a real Chance that Nappa will come this year if Merrin gets an immediate release which is what Mcgregor wants because he sees Merrin going to another club in 2016 as destabilizing. Another detractor for Nappa is the cap as it poses a problem if Merrin stays - Nappas has been told to hold on from
Making a decision till a week before seasin. Dragons will offer him a 4 year deal!!

I'm
Just telling u first hand from
An agent that has 9 players at Penrith

Steelman

Juniors
Wow This just gets better and better the intrigue the suspense the action
The backdoor deals the money the distrust the destabilising effect
And of course the bullshit.

bottle

Coach
Wow This just gets better and better the intrigue the suspense the action
The backdoor deals the money the distrust the destabilising effect
And of course the bullshit.

Don't forget the bulls...
Oh, you mentioned that already.
Carry on.

murraymob

Coach
The words is that Nappa like Merrin is currently weighing up where to go - originally when Merrin was touted for Roosters the Dragons asked for Nappa plus $$ then it went cold but Nappa still wanted in. Other clubs chasing him now include :
Gold Coast
Parra
Canberra

There's a real Chance that Nappa will come this year if Merrin gets an immediate release which is what Mcgregor wants because he sees Merrin going to another club in 2016 as destabilizing. Another detractor for Nappa is the cap as it poses a problem if Merrin stays - Nappas has been told to hold on from
Making a decision till a week before seasin. Dragons will offer him a 4 year deal!!

I'm

so what penrith player is being traded since you know the agent

mightydragon

Juniors
Gold Coast
Parra
Canberra

I'm

How would Merrin going elsewhere next year be more destabilizing than the host of other players that the club have slapped on 1 year contracts?

_Johnsy

Referee
AnD just to throw a spanner in..
Dylan Nappa deal is done BUT only if Merrin leaves .. So basically Merrin departs end of 2015 in comes Nappa plus a player swap w Pentith. Nappa contract sits at $350k a season!!

Tell me u wouldn't like to see Sika Manu , Dylan Napper, Packet, Frizell, Thompson in one pack!!!

See you Trent!!

Keep swinging mate you'll snag one soon enough ;-)

Crossbow

Juniors
Like to give our recruitment and retention guys a wrap.first bmoz then merrin .May as we'll get rid of nightingale widdop rein and Dugan.I would think Merrin is a priority.

BennyV

Referee
Like to give our recruitment and retention guys a wrap.first bmoz then merrin .May as we'll get rid of nightingale widdop rein and Dugan.I would think Merrin is a priority.

That is a very, VERY strange addition to that list...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Trent would want to pull his finger out and sign a contract before season starts. If starts playing the season like a busted arse because of these contract distractions it could affect the bottom dollar he receives.

As for the swap, why make a backwards trade for this year with Penriff? Why give them our best forward for guys they do not want to keep? If we were to release him for this season why not go for young upcoming talent like Cartwright and Peachey or a prop or 2? One thing is for sure, if this does go through Gus will get the upper hand over Doust and we will get dicked.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Trent would want to pull his finger out and sign a contract before season starts. If starts playing the season like a busted arse because of these contract distractions it could affect the bottom dollar he receives.

As for the swap, why make a backwards trade for this year with Penriff? Why give them our best forward for guys they do not want to keep? If we were to release him for this season why not go for young upcoming talent like Cartwright and Peachey or a prop or 2? One thing is for sure, if this does go through Gus will get the upper hand over Doust and we will get dicked.

He's not dealing with doust. He's dealing with mulholland.they go way back him gus and ivan.

Mulholland is basically the general manager of the football club. Doust is nowhere near any of this. He's hired them and they report to him. He doesnt get involved in day to day football matters though.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
He's not dealing with doust. He's dealing with mulholland.they go way back him gus and ivan.
Doust, Mullholland doesn't matter. Do you really think Gus is going to get the raw end of any deal?

The guys mentioned, Docker and Manu, both solid 1st graders but also both injury prone and not in the same category as Merrin. If the deal went through, Penrith end up with our best pig and player they would like to keep long term and we would end up with a couple of players that would either a. be a short term contract for this season or b. absorb some of the salary cap that we could use for a real push for a marquee pig for next season. I say keep Merrin for this season while on his cheap contract and make a push for a marquee signing next season.