What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Sign Corey Hughes

Special K

Coach
he has zero creativity? no spark there..

seu seu darts, gives good service and hits like a fridge. Hopefully he is retained

Inferno

Coach
Current Bulldogs hooker Corey Hughes has agreed to terms on a one-year deal which will see him join the Sharks for the 2009 season.

Hughes, who celebrated his 250th grade game for the Bulldogs against the Sharks at ANZ Stadium two weeks ago, has also played 202 NRL games in a 10-year career at the Bulldogs club.

From St Christopher’s in the Canterbury junior league, Hughes made his NRL debut in round 9 of the 1998 season. He has played all 11 NRL games for the Bulldogs so far this year and was rewarded for his good form with selection in the City Origin team in 2008.

Despite approaching was could be referred to as veteran status, Sharks CEO Tony Zappia was convinced Hughes would be an asset to the Sharks next season.

"Corey brings a competitive edge as well as a wealth of experience to the club and despite being 30-years of age is in the best form of his career," Zappia said.

The announcement that Hughes will join the Sharks next season compliments the earlier signings of Trent Barrett and NSW State of Origin and Kangaroos back rower Anthony Tupou.

http://www.sharks.com.au/index.php?id=435&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=878&tx_ttnews[backPid]=432&cHash=90af674952

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Kingston has the best defence in the comp for a Hooker, why get rid of him ?

Because he's got the worst attack in the comp for a hooker. 9 needs to be creative these days. Kingston is the best plug we have, granted, but he just doesn't cut it as a modern day hooker as far as providing impetus either by thrust or creation.

Quigs

Immortal
It's an omen, it's an omen, the signing of Corey Quasimodo, its an omen.

See I had a vision late last year with my sig pic. See thats Corey in the bottom right hand corner. It's an omen.

The Dark Side .... It's the Dark Side.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Kramer

Juniors
Good player, good signing. As a betting man I'm getting on early next year for Sharks to make top 4, and come Derby Day, Melbourne Cup 2009 I will have 2 new suits, and not the Lowes variety either.

mattyg

Bench
good signing for your guys...i'm pretty devastating losing him...he always earns us 1-2 penalites a game and he does alot of the dirty work. In top form this year, i'd say probably been our best player

Quigs

Immortal
Questions from an outer towner.

Was it common knowledge that this bloke was on the outer at the Dogs.

Anyone know what put Zap and Co on the sniff for Hughes?

With the revolution going down at the Dog Kennel was Hughes told he was part of the plans, was he told they didnt have money for him so he would have to take a cut or was he told to f**k off.

Obviously if someone knew that DeGois was going, and we had cUc, Kingston, and whoever as the #9ers already did we swoop to offer him a lifeline.

Were there any other clubs hunting him.?

I heard it on the ABC league coverage yesterday at about 5.20pm and the match commentators seemed surprised by the announcement and infact they were not sure if he was coming to us or the Dirty Stains. One of the commentators confirmed it that he was to be a Sharkie later in the match commentary.

Did we get him for a song, or did we pay good money.

If the old prick maintains his current form then if sides didn't like playing us this year because of the mongrels and nigglers we have in the side already, then wait to next year.

Will make for some interesting team selections next year. Whose In, Whose out and whose on first.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Questions from an outer towner.

Was it common knowledge that this bloke was on the outer at the Dogs.

Anyone know what put Zap and Co on the sniff for Hughes?

With the revolution going down at the Dog Kennel was Hughes told he was part of the plans, was he told they didnt have money for him so he would have to take a cut or was he told to f**k off.

Obviously if someone knew that DeGois was going, and we had cUc, Kingston, and whoever as the #9ers already did we swoop to offer him a lifeline.

Were there any other clubs hunting him.?

I heard it on the ABC league coverage yesterday at about 5.20pm and the match commentators seemed surprised by the announcement and infact they were not sure if he was coming to us or the Dirty Stains. One of the commentators confirmed it that he was to be a Sharkie later in the match commentary.

Did we get him for a song, or did we pay good money.

If the old prick maintains his current form then if sides didn't like playing us this year because of the mongrels and nigglers we have in the side already, then wait to next year.

Will make for some interesting team selections next year. Whose In, Whose out and whose on first.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

It was common knowledge that Hughes was on the outer Quigs. He was told probably 3 months ago he wasn't needed at the 'Dogs. Before the board elections etc. Before the appoinment of Kevin Moore.

He has connections to Sticky from Sticky's coaching days at the 'Dogs. He lives in the Shire (who doesn't).

coolumsharkie

Referee
Strangish signing imo, no wonder Gal and Bird are Sticky's favorites (despite obvious good form) He loves the angry pig.

squiddy

Juniors
Far from my favorite player and can't say I am overly impressed with this signing , but I'll reserve judgement until I see him in our jersey next year , hopefully sticky will get the best out of him

imasharkie

Coach
Far from my favorite player and can't say I am overly impressed with this signing , but I'll reserve judgement until I see him in our jersey next year , hopefully sticky will get the best out of him

Sticky wanted him because he likes his style of play.
Boozey is another hooker in the mould of Elias and Triester.
Fantastic purchase by Sticky.

cb4

First Grade
wat is the $$$ involved for him
was sitting with some sharks supporters at the footy n basically everyone agreed it is a good buy, but he is a grub

McLovin

Staff member
We're gonna have the most penalised forward pack in the history of the world next year...

Latest posts