What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams for RD 1

mickdo

Coach
Agreed Suity, but I'm willing to buy the 'experience' line Hagan has decided on for this first game. It does make a bit of sense. Hopefully the proof will be at 7.30 Saturday night.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Calm down, guys!

I think his concept of experience plays very well - imagine blooding Mateo off the bench against a huge, aggressive Warriors forward pack...If he didn't do so well, it would potentially shatter him.

Hagan has already said that Green, mateo and Inu have impressed him a lot. I have faith in the man to play them all at some stage during the year.

MrT

Juniors
I don't think Mateo would struggle against the Warriors, I think they would struggle against them. If we're talking about size, Mateo is twice the size of lowrie. It's Lowrie who will struggle

bartman

Immortal
Well, if that's the 17 that will be running out, then it shows us where Hagan's head is at with the squad.

Missing Hindy and Grothe, he needed some guys to step up into the starting line-up, and he chose Reddy who's had some first grade experience, played a lot of trials and probably has the better defence out of the alternatives, and he has chosen whoever people think is 3rd string out of Ian Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson and Daniel Wagon, alll very experienced and defensive.

You'd have to assume that if Nathan Hindy were available, one of the selected backrowers would drop back to take Lowrie's bench spot, but I'm interested to see how he goes this week, and if he takes to the opportunity with some fire? Below him the Premier League don't seem too shabby either in Fa'aoso, Mateo and Taia, all of which have had a taste of first grade in their time, with hopefully their best ahead of them. Everyone has something to play for, and without that good attitude to play your best no matter the situation, then a player with even the best potential is not worth it.

So will be interesting to hear reports from NZ-based fans about how the sprirt seems in Premier League among guys that are on the cusp of first grade selection this season and whether they play to the level they want to be picked in the future, or play to the level they have been picked for this game...

FROSTY319

Juniors
FMD let's just wait and see what happens first before we start predicting the future.

I'm happy with the team and agree with Hagan's comments on the experience factor.
The young guys will get there chance to impress soon enough.

Let's just win and win well ! Fire up Eels.

God it's good to have the footy back. Can't wait for super Saturday !

Utey

Coach
FROSTY319 said:
FMD let's just wait and see what happens first before we start predicting the future.

I'm happy with the team and agree with Hagan's comments on the experience factor.
The young guys will get there chance to impress soon enough.

Let's just win and win well ! Fire up Eels.

God it's good to have the footy back. Can't wait for super Saturday !

here here mate! :D

When you lose two rep players for a first round game played outside if Sydney you don't replace them with inexperienced kids (even though they are talented).

Hagan has made a solid move.

Hellsy

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
He was clearly out numbered against the Roosters, It was always a 2 on 1 situation. At least when u bag a player explain the full reasons why.

Reddy was crap on the wing when in PL. His best position is Fullback.

He came in off his wing too much
He left gaping holes to be covered
He missed tackles
He left the wing unattended on numerous occaisions

People bagged the christ out of Ben Smith in another thread... but I don't recall anyone saying anything too bad about his partner.
When a centre has to consistently tell the winger to get back in position that is a problem

there you go.

I don't doubt that Reddy is better at fullback (when did Reddy come into the convo??)

Bigfella

Coach
Missing Hindy and Grothe

is probably the key.

Eric does a lot of work hitting the ball up. Hindy of course, does a lot of work fullstop.

As such, Hagan probably felt obliged to include the hardest working side possible. As such Ian, Chad, and Lowrie are understandable inclusions.

No doubt Reddy was chosen as much to get involved with dummy half runs and take pressure of the forwards as anything else.

fish eel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
People bagged the christ out of Ben Smith in another thread... but I don't recall anyone saying anything too bad about his partner.
When a centre has to consistently tell the winger to get back in position that is a problem

Considering Ben Smith probably has rep aspirations (at least for country) and has a couple of seasons of top grade under his belt, it's understandable people were more critical of him than a kid with no first grade games to his name.

In saying that, hopefully Ben can wind the clock back to his mid to late 05 form. Otherwise, he may find Inu gets his spot.

Hellsy

Immortal
and if INU plays better then so be it, but I (and I know alot of others I regularly watch footy with) agree that currently his defense is not great at all. Attack is fantastic however!
There would have been an awful lot more tries if it wasnt for Ben Smiths defensive display against the Rooters, on 2 occaisions he single-handedly picked up a player from several metres out and dragged then tackled him back into the in-goal regaining us possession.

I too hope that he can continue this into the season - healthy competition is a great thing.

If they are going to persist with him in a wing position, he needs to stay put and not wander and they need to have a strong defensive centre playing alongside him

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
No doubt Reddy was chosen as much to get involved with dummy half runs and take pressure of the forwards as anything else.

Or to drop back in defence and return the ball on kicks.

fish eel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
and if INU plays better then so be it, but I (and I know alot of others I regularly watch footy with) agree that currently his defense is not great at all. Attack is fantastic however!
im

His defence can be fixed. That can be coached.

What the kid does in attack cant be coached.

Sooner Inu is in first grade, the better imo...though I wouldnt have started him this week.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
His defence can be fixed. That can be coached.

What the kid does in attack cant be coached.

Sooner Inu is in first grade, the better imo...though I wouldnt have started him this week.

and yet alot of people are still questioning Hagans selections this week.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
and yet alot of people are still questioning Hagans selections this week.

Indeed they are....but the audio interview was telling. Not selected this week, but Inu and Mateo sound like they are well and truly in the mix.

Hellsy

Immortal
I know it can be fixed, and I hope it is... but surely a player must prove this before being selected.

INU will be a star no doubt

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Indeed they are....but the audio interview was telling. Not selected this week, but Inu and Mateo sound like they are well and truly in the mix.

sh*t yeah..

Bigfella

Coach
Or to drop back in defence and return the ball on kicks

Colonel I will have a bit of a concern if that is the approach we use on a regular basis.

Brett Hodgson did it in Origin last year (or was it year before) to take advantage of his big wingers, and to make up for his light frame.

Queensland worked it out very, very quickly. By kicking away from him, and knowing he would drift across to link up, the Maroons got up in our face very quickly and the Blues lost huge yardage on kick returns and ended upunder pressure early on in the set, despite the fact that their wingers played strongly and the initial hit-ups were good.

Hellsy said:
There would have been an awful lot more tries if it wasnt for Ben Smiths defensive display against the Rooters, on 2 occaisions he single-handedly picked up a player from several metres out and dragged then tackled him back into the in-goal regaining us possession.

I too hope that he can continue this into the season - healthy competition is a great thing.

If they are going to persist with him in a wing position, he needs to stay put and not wander and they need to have a strong defensive centre playing alongside him

What a about Ben Smith?

Soliola ran around ben Smith (in the 2nd half of the roosters trial) like he was'nt even there, Soliola scored... You fail to mention this. If ben Smith hangs back in the defensive line he will be done for pace from the opposing attackers THAT's why ben comes in a lot and try's to cut the plays off. This is a risky move, sometimes it pays off sometimes it will end in disaster.

I wish ben smith could put the same effort he does in defence into his attack. If he can pick up people and drive them back in defence why does he submit so easily in tackles??

Latest posts