What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troll Free Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fourex

Bench
thus, those critical of the moderating are talking out of their arse.

I have to agree. Maybe it's because I personally haven't felt the sting of a mod slap yet but compared to other league forums and message boards in general, this board is moderated IMO, with a sense of letting the play flow and occasionally pulling up any obvious continual infractions.

On another site the worst of the worst trolls were in fact the moderators. They would openly bait bm's and then pull out their moddie badge when they found themselves on the losing end of the argument or had been humiliated and outwitted by their target. I don't see this here yet.

SOME of the mods here obviously troll.......at least, again IMHO, they're prepared to receive as good as they're giving, without resorting to abusing their powers.

As for the OP .....I see it as a solution to serious threads that should be discussed without the baits that are obviously thrown out there with the intention of throwing the discussion off topic.

I guess the level of success for the idea will be measured on how well the thread in question is objectively judged by the admin.

Big Pete

Referee
I've thought of this as well, but it only seems to be taken seriously by the younger generations who care about reputation - rather than older people who just care about the footy talk. I'd still like to see this idea to be considered though. :)

Posters on "red" or negative reputation generally will not be taken seriously automatically if the reputation system works well; moderators can easily pick them out as well for post deletion if necessary

It wouldn't work on a place like this because any banter would result in more negs for one side than the other.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
It wouldn't work on a place like this because any banter would result in more negs for one side than the other.

Pretty much what I thought. My younger brother uses Yahoo answers a bit and you can "thumbs down" people. He says that as soon as you put an opinion that goes against the consensus you get a whole heaps of thumbs down even when the point you put forward is a valid one. This kind of system would just result in no discussion and instead everybody just agreeing with eachother.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think it's high time all those trolling jersey discussion posts were removed from the beer appreciation thread...

Moffo

Referee
Where has anyone suggested we dont allow trolls Moffo ?

Have you even read the posts explaining how it is to be used ?

We've got one thread with a no trolls symbol and you're saying the fun police have arrived.

Over reaction much ?

lets see how you guys use it......

i never said that you don't allow trolls. wtf are you talking about?

please re-read my post before trying again

lol@willow....the next MattO :lol:

Doomednow

Bench
I think for troll free threads to work we need a clearly defined idea of what a troll is.

A troll is not simply having a go at someone. It is pretending to truly believe something controversial or ridiculous in order to illicit a response, when they don't in fact believe it.

If someone doesn't like your club they are allowed to say so, I thought. Even if they are being dicks about it.

Didgi

:lol: I posted that solely to get a rise out of Tonearm and his blatant Rooster bias. If you highlight/quote my post you'll see that. I didn't think the troll-free sign was on this thread by the time I posted.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think for troll free threads to work we need a clearly defined idea of what a troll is.

A troll is not simply having a go at someone. It is pretending to truly believe something controversial or ridiculous in order to illicit a response, when they don't in fact believe it.

If someone doesn't like your club they are allowed to say so, I thought. Even if they are being dicks about it.

a contrary opinion is not a troll

Galeforce

Bench
Now I wished that Sandow showed some loyalty to the club that stood by him and developed him.

The NRL needs to bring in a salary discount for clubs that develop their own juniors and place them in their NRL senior squad.

1)Agree there should be a salary cap discount for Juniors and for players who have played at least one year TYC with a club before NRL debut.

2) However this would not have made a difference with Sandow. It is not the cap that stops Souths keeping Sandow. At this stage Sandow has been offerred way over what Souths were willing to offer. I believe the $550k number , would be about right , as Parra were desperate to close a deal after all the negative press their recruitment team were getting.

3) Souths could have worked within CAP by having a backended contract which matched Parra deal , was longer deal say 5-6 years and counted on future cap increases in line with new TV rights. Bottom line , Souths management did not believe Sandow worth the money being offerred by Parra.

4) You should not blame Sandow , and use words like loyalty when Sandow is offered A LOT more money to play elsewhere. Lets face it , when he plays ordinary , most fans focused on his weaknesses versus his strengths and Panned him , like most other fans. How many times have we heard that Souths could not win premiership with their halves. Take yesterday , frankly , Sandow did some good things , however in the end he also may have cost us the game. He passed to Taylor , who was always going to be running into heavy traffic , when we had a clear overlap on the outside . Better vision would have resulted in a try.

Bottom line Sandow is a good half however he is not worth the money Parra are paying.

Cocidius

Juniors
1)Agree there should be a salary cap discount for Juniors and for players who have played at least one year TYC with a club before NRL debut.

2) However this would not have made a difference with Sandow. It is not the cap that stops Souths keeping Sandow. At this stage Sandow has been offerred way over what Souths were willing to offer. I believe the $550k number , would be about right , as Parra were desperate to close a deal after all the negative press their recruitment team were getting.

3) Souths could have worked within CAP by having a backended contract which matched Parra deal , was longer deal say 5-6 years and counted on future cap increases in line with new TV rights. Bottom line , Souths management did not believe Sandow worth the money being offerred by Parra.

4) You should not blame Sandow , and use words like loyalty when Sandow is offered A LOT more money to play elsewhere. Lets face it , when he plays ordinary , most fans focused on his weaknesses versus his strengths and Panned him , like most other fans. How many times have we heard that Souths could not win premiership with their halves. Take yesterday , frankly , Sandow did some good things , however in the end he also may have cost us the game. He passed to Taylor , who was always going to be running into heavy traffic , when we had a clear overlap on the outside . Better vision would have resulted in a try.

Bottom line Sandow is a good half however he is not worth the money Parra are paying.

Apparantly we offered Roberts 600k and Tonga 700k too :roll:!!!!
Keep thinking that Sandow is getting 550K if it helps you sleep better at night...its damn sure helping Rusty sleep at night hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts