What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Paris was an absolutely outstanding player in the juniors and lower grades. I used to sing his praises on here all the time.

Then he made first grade and it all went pear shaped. Has taken him 10 years to become a first grader of any use.

Although I think Brown may be one out of the box and Holmes looks good with the kids I will be forever wary of talking up kids too much after being #Simmofied

Have you seem Addo-Carr play frenz?

Freakish koori skills and speed

Frenzy.

Immortal
Not yet snoop. I did note, with interest, he came here as a halfback but has been stuck on the wing. He's not real big apparently. Only 81 kegs at the moment. Supposedly faster than a lightning bolt.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Not yet snoop. I did note, with interest, he came here as a halfback but has been stuck on the wing. He's not real big apparently. Only 81 kegs at the moment. Supposedly faster than a lightning bolt.

Interesting, For a bloke playing out of position he is doing a good job finishing off 4 pointers. Scored a great try vs the warriors set up by val. Pure speed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the rabbits get this kid back in their books

coolumsharkie

Referee
Addo-Carr had a blinder a few weeks ago as well, but then again so did Luke Pikard or what ever his name is/was and that other dark fullback (Cant remember his name) that had heaps of promise when they were playing NYC.

Too hard to tell but I think Brown will see plenty of FG.

cheese

Bench
I agree with what frenzy says, but I think people too easily dismiss the 20's as a legitimate stepping stone.

If you look at the absolute standouts of the 20's over the last few years, most are now legitimate first graders.

From our last gen crop, Peach, Friz & Chad were all standouts. Chad is probably the biggest disappointment of the bunch, but they're all first graders for now........For other clubs! I'd have peach & Friz in a heart beat.

Look at the standouts from other sides. Hurrell, Fish, Milford, Taumololo, Tuivasa-Sheck, Tedesco etc etc ... Thats only a couple. But the best of the 20's seem to make the step pretty comfortably and most of those guys didn't have to do a two year stint in the lower grades before being picked.

The guys who look decent but not exceptional like pickering, Mills, the chode winger ....they don't seem to go on with it ....I aways thought Lichaa was in this catergory too, but I could be wrong.

Val & Brown appear a class above their peers this year, physically & skill set wise.

It's a young mans game now more than ever, if they're good enough pick them.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If for a change, they do what the coaches say, meet their KPI's, theyll get picked.
Youd think holmes who is lightning fast would be the first to a kick chase everytime wouldnt you?

Snoop Shark

First Grade
If for a change, they do what the coaches say, meet their KPI's, theyll get picked.
Youd think holmes who is lightning fast would be the first to a kick chase everytime wouldnt you?

Chip and chase maybe but kick and chase?

Why would a fullback want to be out of position every kick we do?

It is a risk picking a youngster, but you also line it up for who he would replace.

Holmes vs J.Wright

Wright this year has been a disaster, When Morris from Dragons leapt to catch bomb, Wright had a mile of time to throw him out nothing just gave him love tap.

He is been out of position all year in defence, even in the game we won he managed to bomb some tries.

The other option Holmes, lets say he makes odd mistake which he will, but he would have to be shocking to be as bad as Wright, he also brings speed to the backline, youth as well and he gets given a chance to show what he can do.

I look at it this way Holmes has much more upside then Wright who wont get any better form what we have already seen

Surely

Post Whore
Upside is correct but if Wright was playing 20's he'd be murdering them week in week out.

Having said that Wright is unable to handle the top grade maybe Holmes will with some experience

snoozer

Bench
i wish it went back to u23's.

either that or they do something with reserve grade to make it more competitive.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Chip and chase maybe but kick and chase? Why would a fullback want to be out of position every kick we do?

I like the idea TBH. The game is about attack as well as defence. Its the problem we've struggled with in my view Snoop. We dont go for the unconventional plays like we once did. Chip and chase can be all or nothing if one of the opposition cuties takes the ball on the fly as the mighties watch a blur of opposing arse go streaming past in the opposite direction with our FB watching abeam the opposing players. Less so with the deep kick in general play though. That gives someone time to get back and cover the FB.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Write down this name in your little black book as a player to watch – Valentine Holmes. The teenaged fullback is carving it up in the lower grades at Cronulla after North Queensland let him slip through their grasp.
Had the Cowboys kept him, he would probably be playing NRL for them now. In an odd twist, Valentine's girlfriend is the sister of current Cowboys custodian Michael Morgan.
"He's the closest thing I've seen to Ben Barba," said Valentine's agent, Gavin Orr, who also happens to manage Barba.
"He's got the speed of Ben Barba but he's also got the Karmichael Hunt edge to him, too, where he will take on the defensive line on with power."
Holmes was struggling with homesickness and was going to head back north until his brother moved down. Don't be surprised to see him make his NRL debut shortly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...anly-exodus-20140412-zqtx7.html#ixzz2yiiXoxKJ

Madsharkie

First Grade
Good to hear the homesick issue may be resolved, as i think Frenz mentioned we might lose him due to it. Re-sign him sharkies.