What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Bro Bear

Juniors
Central Coast is not Sydney and regardless the majority of Australia's population lives in Sydney. Most of the games supporters live in Sydney.

NSW only has one regional team - Newcastle, two - counting St George/Illawarra - three if include Canberra but it is the ACT. Regional NSW can have another team - CC Bears.

Actually the NRL should admit two teams in 2013 and advise the other two bids if they have a stadium in place they will be admitted in 2018 and in the meantime compete in a revised NRL Reserve grade comp comprising NSW Cup and QLD Cup teams.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Central Coast is not Sydney and regardless the majority of Australia's population lives in Sydney. Most of the games supporters live in Sydney.

NSW only has one regional team - Newcastle, two - counting St George/Illawarra - three if include Canberra but it is the ACT. Regional NSW can have another team - CC Bears.

Actually the NRL should admit two teams in 2013 and advise the other two bids if they have a stadium in place they will be admitted in 2018 and in the meantime compete in a revised NRL Reserve grade comp comprising NSW Cup and QLD Cup teams.

This is what Sydneysiders actually believe.

The Knights and Titans cover northern regional NSW while the Raiders and Illasox cover southern NSW. If NSW/ACT needs a 12th team then the game in your state is f**ked beyond all hope.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Well QLD teams can always revert back to the BRL, afterall Brisbame were invited into the NSWRL.

Australia has 22 and half million people. Sydney 4 and half million. Not including the AFL dominated states of VIC, SA and WA that means there are alot of rugby supporters in the Sydney basin (fact).

The game will not go backwards by having a NRL team based in Gosford.

The Central Coast is an urban region in the Australian state of NSW, located on the coast north of Sydney and south of Lake Macquarie.

The Central Coast has an approximate population of 299,000 making it the third largest urban area in New South Wales and the ninth largest urban area in Australia. It has a young population with many locals supporting rugby league.

Yes, QLD deserves to have more teams in the NRL too.

Talons

Juniors
No, i want ONE NRL club in the area that holds 20% of NSW population that the AFL is targeting with ONE of their teams (GWS).

It's easy the NRL/NSWRL just divide up the 20% , between Newcastle, Parramatta, East's/South's and Manly. Once those areas are actually in the catchment of each club the juniors will filter through to club level and in time the supporters will follow..Don't kick out the Bears relocate them to QLD.

BDGS

Bench
It's one of the arguments used for supporting the Bears bid and the 9 other Sydney teams.

I have heard all three of the Eastern state bids say they are under threat from the AFL.

Yep - The NRL recently have state that St. George Illawarra is to be looked at as a Sydney team and because of that they will play their home finals in Sydney. Leaving regional NSW with just one team - Newcastle Knights.

Well QLD teams can always revert back to the BRL, afterall Brisbame were invited into the NSWRL.

Australia has 22 and half million people. Sydney 4 and half million. Not including the AFL dominated states of VIC, SA and WA that means there are alot of rugby supporters in the Sydney basin (fact).

The Central Coast is an urban region in the Australian state of NSW, located on the coast north of Sydney and south of Lake Macquarie.

The Central Coast has an approximate population of 299,000 making it the third largest urban area in New South Wales and the ninth largest urban area in Australia. It has a young population with many locals supporting rugby league.

Exactly, apart from the BRL comments.

It's easy the NRL/NSWRL just divide up the 20% , between Newcastle, Parramatta, East's/South's and Manly.
:|:lol:

Once those areas are actually in the catchment of each club the juniors will filter through to club level and in time the supporters will follow..Don't kick out the Bears relocate them to QLD.

:lol::lol:

Talons

Juniors
I have heard all three of the Eastern state bids say they are under threat from the AFL.

Yep - The NRL recently have state that St. George Illawarra is to be looked at as a Sydney team and because of that they will play their home finals in Sydney. Leaving regional NSW with just one team - Newcastle Knights.

Exactly, apart from the BRL comments.

:|:lol:

:lol::lol:

If your laughing because you disagree with my suggestion, well that's fair enough!
But I personally don't see my idea lacking in any less merritt than wedging another team in an already over saturated market and the Bears live on to be part of the NRL...win win

BDGS

Bench
If your laughing because you disagree with my suggestion, well that's fair enough!
But I personally don't see my idea lacking in any less merritt than wedging another team in an already over saturated market and the Bears live on to be part of the NRL...win win

1) The Bears would never work in QLD, apart from their identity being something that does not go well with QLD identity, i doubt that QLD would ever support a team with origins and histories that stretch back to NSW.

2)

Parramatta - Already cover a large area - not to mention being about 2 hrs away from the Central Coast.

Easts - Are quite contempt with staying in the city and east side, they want nothing to do with player developing or representing an area they can't offer them anything. They already got everything they need $$$.

Souths - South Sydney representing something that is North of North Sydney is laughable and unrequired, Souths has a large junior area and one of the top teams with membership and corporate support. Souths are also in favour of a return of the Bears.

Newcastle - Covers Newcastle/hunter/New England this are is massive and that is after the Gold Coast has taken Tweed. Now you want Newcastle to take a percentage of the Central Coast!! i don't think so, i don't think so.

boonboon

Juniors
Newcastle - Covers Newcastle/hunter/New England this are is massive and that is after the Gold Coast has taken Tweed. Now you want Newcastle to take a percentage of the Central Coast!! i don't think so, i don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring the other comments in this thread for a second - People keep saying the nights cover the New England and Northern NSW (and I'm not asking or even suggesting a team in these areas) but it is bollocks - I spent most of my life in the New England and never met a Knights supporter- I am sure their are some but they are definatly out numbered by the traditional Sydney clubs fans in this area.

Actually I know of more broncos fans in the New England then Knights - People in the New England and surrounding areas see Newcastle as fairly well part of Sydney - NSW - Newcastle Sydney Wollongong as they say in the bush - the Knights don't represent us and never will

Talons

Juniors
1) The Bears would never work in QLD, apart from their identity being something that does not go well with QLD identity, i doubt that QLD would ever support a team with origins and histories that stretch back to NSW.

2)

Parramatta - Already cover a large area - not to mention being about 2 hrs away from the Central Coast.

Easts - Are quite contempt with staying in the city and east side, they want nothing to do with player developing or representing an area they can't offer them anything. They already got everything they need $$$.

Souths - South Sydney representing something that is North of North Sydney is laughable and unrequired, Souths has a large junior area and one of the top teams with membership and corporate support. Souths are also in favour of a return of the Bears.

Newcastle - Covers Newcastle/hunter/New England this are is massive and that is after the Gold Coast has taken Tweed. Now you want Newcastle to take a percentage of the Central Coast!! i don't think so, i don't think so.

The Bears would never work in QLD, apart from their identity being something that does not go well with QLD identity, i doubt that QLD would ever support a team with origins and histories that stretch back to NSW.

Yet many on here have openly advocated moving Manly to the sunshine coast.

How do you know what you have just stated is indeed factual, perhaps they would welcome more juniors.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alliance with North Sydney Bears[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the 28th July, 2006 it was announced that the Rabbitohs had formed an alliance with former first grade foundation club the North Sydney Bears. Under the agreement the North Sydney Bears will act as the Rabbitohs’ feeder Club in the NSW Rugby League Premier League competition, allowing the Bears access to players contracted to the Rabbitohs who haven’t been selected in the NRL side.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]North Sydney Bears General Manager Greg Florimo was quoted saying “We’re very excited to be involved with the Rabbitohs, particularly looking at the moves Souths have made recently, the move to privatisation and the strong recruitment drive that has taken place are very positive moves and we’re looking forward to being a part of the future.”[/FONT]
http://www.mediaman.com.au/profiles/south_sydney.html

Parramatta -
Sydney-Newcastle Freeway
69.2 km....1hr 6Mins

Illawarra have all the south coast down to Victoria..Your point being !

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench

Ignoring the other comments in this thread for a second - People keep saying the nights cover the New England and Northern NSW (and I'm not asking or even suggesting a team in these areas) but it is bollocks - I spent most of my life in the New England and never met a Knights supporter- I am sure their are some but they are definatly out numbered by the traditional Sydney clubs fans in this area.

Actually I know of more broncos fans in the New England then Knights - People in the New England and surrounding areas see Newcastle as fairly well part of Sydney - NSW - Newcastle Sydney Wollongong as they say in the bush - the Knights don't represent us and never will[/QUOTE]

Just going by the Knights, they claim the area and is the reason why they play trials in the area and they also sent players out there during the season for some reason that i can not remember.

If the people from the area feel that the Knights don't represent them, then that is a problem for the Newcastle Knights to take aboard and work out.

BDGS

Bench
I'm not to sure what you have done here with the quote and etc but i'll do my best to sort through what is mine and what is yours.

Yet many on here have openly advocated moving Manly to the sunshine coast.

Manly's identity as a club is as uniques as any club. Just because another club's (the bears) identity doesn't work in QLD, that doesn't mean other teams (including Manly) wouldn't or won't work. Sunshine Coast has been very welcomed to the Sea Eagles, so much so that they will keep the name the Sunshine Coast Sea eagles even know Manly having to withdraw its players form the team.

How do you know what you have just stated is indeed factual, perhaps they would welcome more juniors.

Perhaps they would but with the people that are backing the Roosters currently still sticking around the Roosters have no plans of moving into new ground. There have even been plans by Nick to change the name to the "Bondi Roosters" which wouldn't cut out their junior base but would open themselves up to being isolated.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alliance with North Sydney Bears[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the 28th July, 2006 it was announced that the Rabbitohs had formed an alliance with former first grade foundation club the North Sydney Bears. Under the agreement the North Sydney Bears will act as the Rabbitohs’ feeder Club in the NSW Rugby League Premier League competition, allowing the Bears access to players contracted to the Rabbitohs who haven’t been selected in the NRL side.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]North Sydney Bears General Manager Greg Florimo was quoted saying “We’re very excited to be involved with the Rabbitohs, particularly looking at the moves Souths have made recently, the move to privatisation and the strong recruitment drive that has taken place are very positive moves and we’re looking forward to being a part of the future.”[/FONT]
http://www.mediaman.com.au/profiles/south_sydney.html

What is your point?

South Sydney offer junior players from North Sydney a direct link into the NRL through a feeder arrangement with the Bears. Without that feeder arrangement they have no claim to the players from North Sydney. They currently and never have had ownership and any claim of ownership to North Sydney due to the fact that NSWRL has allocated the area of the North Shore to the North Sydney Bears, North Sydney Bears will be apart of Central Coast Bid to have a team in the NRL and therefore will own the area.

Parramatta -
Sydney-Newcastle Freeway
69.2 km....1hr 6Mins

Alright then, they are how far away in Kms? They have no right to claim the area of the Central Coast.

Illawarra have all the south coast down to Victoria..Your point being !

Source?

I thought their area ends at Canberra.

Nevertheless, what are the populations of those areas compared to the coast? junior numbers comparison?

If they had as big population and junior numbers as the CC then they would of been able to sustain the Steelers.

Talons

Juniors
I'm not to sure what you have done here with the quote and etc but i'll do my best to sort through what is mine and what is yours.

Manly's identity as a club is as uniques as any club. Just because another club's (the bears) identity doesn't work in QLD, that doesn't mean other teams (including Manly) wouldn't or won't work. Sunshine Coast has been very welcomed to the Sea Eagles, so much so that they will keep the name the Sunshine Coast Sea eagles even know Manly having to withdraw its players form the team.

Perhaps they would but with the people that are backing the Roosters currently still sticking around the Roosters have no plans of moving into new ground. There have even been plans by Nick to change the name to the "Bondi Roosters" which wouldn't cut out their junior base but would open themselves up to being isolated.

What is your point?

South Sydney offer junior players from North Sydney a direct link into the NRL through a feeder arrangement with the Bears. Without that feeder arrangement they have no claim to the players from North Sydney. They currently and never have had ownership and any claim of ownership to North Sydney due to the fact that NSWRL has allocated the area of the North Shore to the North Sydney Bears, North Sydney Bears will be apart of Central Coast Bid to have a team in the NRL and therefore will own the area.

Alright then, they are how far away in Kms? They have no right to claim the area of the Central Coast.

Source?

Nevertheless, what are the populations of those areas compared to the coast? junior numbers comparison?

If they had as big population and junior numbers as the CC then they would of been able to sustain the Steelers.

How can you tell us for sure that given more territory the Roosters may not be happy to pursue more juniors...Do you have inside knowledge of the Rooster's board and future plans for expansion..

What is your point?

You were the one who stated that anything to do with South's and North's was laughable..but clearly there is..is there not !

If they had as big population and junior numbers as the CC then they would of been able to sustain the Steelers

It was an example, you were the one using Newcastle as having all the northern boundaries up to the closest northern club that being the Gold Coast..a 10hr and 40 min drive.
So we will go with your example Canberra to Melbourne...9hr and 8mins.

As for the Steelers demise perhaps the Steelers don't exist because the NRL wanted to rationalise teams in NSW..ergo no more teams

dgsfan

Juniors
Logic doesn't work in this thread, mate. Best find somewhere else to discuss things rationally.

Goddo

Bench
BDGS, you need to buy a dictionary and look up "contempt" and "content" or "contentment".

BDGS

Bench
How can you tell us for sure that given more territory the Roosters may not be happy to pursue more juniors...Do you have inside knowledge of the Rooster's board and future plans for expansion..

From the chances they have let go in the Past. You would think after Norths and South were kicked out the Roosters would of made advancements into the two now vacant areas to really represent the "Sydney" Roosters and from their recent history of wanting to represent less area rather then more. It's common sense logic.

You were the one who stated that anything to do with South's and North's was laughable..but clearly there is..is there not !

Anything to o with South Sydney taking North Sydney's area/land/territory is funny. By definition it does not make sense. We would be a laughing stock is North Sydney's local team was South Sydney. The only relationship between the BEARS (not the area of North Sydney) and South Sydney is the feeder club arrangement that i mentioned and the South Sydney Help of the Central Coast Bears NRL bid. For Souths to ever claim an area that is strictly and officiall North Sydney area or territory is laughable.

It was an example, you were the one using Newcastle as having all the northern boundaries up to the closest northern club that being the Gold Coast..a 10hr and 40 min drive.
So we will go with your example Canberra to Melbourne...9hr and 8mins.

It is Newcastle Knights area, maybe the fans do not agree with it and maybe the residents of New England do not agree with it. But the reason why Newcastle send players there for promotions and training days is because its their area. There is nothing that Canberra has done that suggests officially or unofficially that the are South of them could be considered their territory. In fact Albury (inside NSW) is under the VRL associated GMRL.

As for the Steelers demise perhaps the Steelers don't exist because the NRL wanted to rationalise teams in NSW..ergo no more teams

The Steelers do exist, they play in the SG Ball and Harold Matthews Junior NSWRL competitions. The Steelers do also exist in the NRL, they make up half of the St. George Illawara merger.

The reason they don't exist anymore in the form of the "Illawarra Steelers" in the NRL because of money issues. As a former great said "St. George had the money, not much juniors, Illawarra had the juniors, not much money" and that probably comes down to the fact that the Wollongong is a mining city. Those companies deal with overseas customers and not retail Australia. No need to sponsor to an Australia market.

Logic doesn't work in this thread, mate. Best find somewhere else to discuss things rationally.

Hello parrot.

bobmar28

Bench

At least you understand that.

Talons

Juniors
From the chances they have let go in the Past. You would think after Norths and South were kicked out the Roosters would of made advancements into the two now vacant areas to really represent the "Sydney" Roosters and from their recent history of wanting to represent less area rather then more. It's common sense logic.

Anything to o with South Sydney taking North Sydney's area/land/territory is funny. By definition it does not make sense. We would be a laughing stock is North Sydney's local team was South Sydney. The only relationship between the BEARS (not the area of North Sydney) and South Sydney is the feeder club arrangement that i mentioned and the South Sydney Help of the Central Coast Bears NRL bid. For Souths to ever claim an area that is strictly and officiall North Sydney area or territory is laughable.

It is Newcastle Knights area, maybe the fans do not agree with it and maybe the residents of New England do not agree with it. But the reason why Newcastle send players there for promotions and training days is because its their area. There is nothing that Canberra has done that suggests officially or unofficially that the are South of them could be considered their territory. In fact Albury (inside NSW) is under the VRL associated GMRL.

The Steelers do exist, they play in the SG Ball and Harold Matthews Junior NSWRL competitions. The Steelers do also exist in the NRL, they make up half of the St. George Illawara merger.

The reason they don't exist anymore in the form of the "Illawarra Steelers" in the NRL because of money issues. As a former great said "St. George had the money, not much juniors, Illawarra had the juniors, not much money" and that probably comes down to the fact that the Wollongong is a mining city. Those companies deal with overseas customers and not retail Australia. No need to sponsor to an Australia market.

Hello parrot.

BDGS, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on expansion.
At the end of the day none of us truly know what will happen, although I'm pretty confident a QLD team will get the nod..it just seems more logical to me. Although I freely admit (I could be wrong) if so I will except the IC's call graciously...either way have a good xmas mate..cheers

Latest posts