What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
BDGS, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on expansion.
At the end of the day none of us truly know what will happen, although I'm pretty confident a QLD team will get the nod..it just seems more logical to me. Although I freely admit (I could be wrong) if so I will except the IC's call graciously...either way have a good xmas mate..cheers

same to you. Forums are like the footy field, what happens on them stays there. Merry Christmas to you and to all and have a great new year.

RedVee

First Grade
Illawarra have all the south coast down to Victoria..Your point being !

Source?

I thought their area ends at Canberra.

Nevertheless, what are the populations of those areas compared to the coast? junior numbers comparison?

If they had as big population and junior numbers as the CC then they would of been able to sustain the Steelers.

The SGI area finishes at Batemans Bay and is actually St George, Illawarra & South Coast; and yes, the St George Leagues have supplied funds to all 3 leagues at various times over the years.

Canberra have ownership of the coast areas south of Batemans bay down to the border.

macavity

Referee
Ignoring the other comments in this thread for a second - People keep saying the nights cover the New England and Northern NSW (and I'm not asking or even suggesting a team in these areas) but it is bollocks - I spent most of my life in the New England and never met a Knights supporter- I am sure their are some but they are definatly out numbered by the traditional Sydney clubs fans in this area.

Actually I know of more broncos fans in the New England then Knights - People in the New England and surrounding areas see Newcastle as fairly well part of Sydney - NSW - Newcastle Sydney Wollongong as they say in the bush - the Knights don't represent us and never will

In a previous job I spent a hell of a lot of time in NE/NNSW, and saw/met shytloads of Knights fans - while collectively Sydney teams would have more fans, the Knights would easily be the single most popular team in my experience.

I guess we see what we want to see, huh.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...hearts-and-minds/story-e6frep66-1225976171870

Looks like the QLD bids are going to battle it out until they kill eachother off... excellent.

THE battle-lines are drawn.

As the spectre of expansion appears on the NRL's radar, two tribes are ready to go to war in the hope of becoming Queensland's fourth NRL team.

In the blue corner is Central Queensland, backed by multi-millionaire construction magnate Geoff Murphy and a slick, ambitious consortium that has come out swinging hard and early in its aggressive plan to deliver the knockout punch to expansion rivals.

In the red corner is Ipswich, initially slow to start but quietly plotting to go the distance and land some heavy blows when the championship rounds loom.

With the NRL expected to make a definitive call on expansion midway through 2011, the contrasting fighting styles of CQ and Ipswich have formed a mouth-watering sub-plot as the governing body comes under mounting pressure to ensure the next team added is based in Queensland.

Both camps are reluctant to build their campaigns on a bedrock of sledging and mud-slinging. But with Perth and the NSW Central Coast also flexing their expansionary muscle, blood on the floor is inevitable . . . and CQ are determined not to be left sprawled on the canvas.

''It's hard for us to judge where we're at, but we're confident we are making a compelling argument to be the best place in Queensland for expansion and hopefully the best place overall,'' says CQ bid chief executive Denis Keeffe, who impressed News Limited executives with his managerial skill as the former CEO of the Cowboys.

''Naturally we're biased, so I'll let the independent commentators make a call on where we rate. But I don't see too many deficiencies in our bid.''

From the moment they launched their bid 18 months ago, nothing about CQ has been low key. The consortium has held more launches than NASA. More than 20,000 residents have signed an NRL petition, and Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has pledged to build a $150 million stadium.

And then there's Murphy, the workaholic, passionate construction tycoon who is so determined to deliver an NRL team to Central Queensland he flew NRL boss David Gallop to the region for a two-day visit last month in his private jet.

''We are going to convince you,'' says Murphy. ''We have to show David Gallop what we can do for the NRL.
We tick all the boxes.

''We've got the population, the passion, we have no other national sporting teams in CQ, we basically shore up the east coast (of Australia).

''I'm very confident of getting an NRL licence and always have been.''

But so is Steve Johnson. While CQ have been screaming from the rooftops of Rockhampton, the Ipswich bid chief has been silently crunching the numbers. And the numbers tell him this: the fourth team in Queensland must be located in Brisbane's western corridor.

''We could start a rugby league club tomorrow,'' Johnson says. ''We haven't got the players of course, but we have the infrastructure at the Ipswich Jets (Queensland Cup club), it would just be an expansion of that.

''I'm not going to be disrespectful to CQ, they are passionate league people and that's what the game is built around.''

There is no doubt Ipswich are upping the ante. Last month, former Sydney Roosters CEO Brian Canavan was added as a consultant and he will table a blueprint for the bid in the next three weeks.

Last week, Johnson met Gallop, who initially flagged Ipswich as a leading Queensland expansion target two years ago.

Gallop is reluctant to show his hand, but says Central Queensland has major appeal with its booming billion-dollar resource industry.

''One of the things I like about this area is that it doesn't have a national team in any other code,'' he says.

Perth Red

Post Whore
CQ has the population? Where?

Being from Perth I know first hand the boom and bust nature of the resource industry. It tends to go in 5-7 year cycles with 2-3 years lean times in between. Without the population to sustain it is putting all the eggs in one basket to be relying just on the resource industry to keep backing a club.

applesauce

Bench
CQ has a population over 300k (as Mackay will be classified as part of the bid and not North QLD).

Besides Mackay CQ had a population of 190,000 in 2005. As of 2009 Mackay has a population of 116,000. So there is enough people and money but that doesn't make it the best short or long term option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
with 300kms between where the club will be based and Mackay it will take alot of work to engage that community. Will they buy memberships? Will MAckay feel an affinity with CQ team, can a population of primarily less than 100k people attract 15-20k every other week to a game? They are saying, even then optimistically, that it is going to take 15-20 years to get to 200k (http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2010/04/01/population-will-double-says-a-happy-mayor/)

NQ haven't been able/willing to do it for the same scenario with Cairns.

applesauce

Bench
with 300kms between where the club will be based and Mackay it will take alot of work to engage that community. Will they buy memberships? Will MAckay feel an affinity with CQ team, can a population of primarily less than 100k people attract 15-20k every other week to a game? They are saying, even then optimistically, that it is going to take 15-20 years to get to 200k (http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2010/04/01/population-will-double-says-a-happy-mayor/)

No they haven't. But they have also neglected Cairns. The Cowboys however have huge support from many other towns and communities that travel 3hours each way on a Friday or Saturday night to see them.

beave

Coach

You are full of sh*t.

The cowboys take a trial game to Cairns every year (the majority of the gate takings goes back to the local league FFS), we've also taken 2 regular season games in the past (2001) to Cairns, they actually lost money on that 2nd game. They also do many school visits, coaching clinics and sponsors visits during the year. And throw in the fact that the Northern Pride is one of our feeder teams and we send our contracted Cowboys there when they aren't in first grade, and I think we can all safely say you are talking out your ass.

Other than moving the team there, there is not much else the club can do to to try and involve the people of Cairns. They could take regular season games there but then isolate the people of Ayr and Mackay from attending because it will add another 4 hours onto their journey. The reason why Tvl works is because it is central to everybody in the region. If Barlow park was done up to a decent standard and the lighting was improved to broadcasting standard, then they may look at taking a regular season game there, but until then other than in the case of DFS being booked out for the Storm game up here next year, the club can't take regular season game there until the ground is at an acceptable level.

To say that the club isn't willing to involve the people of Cairns is a load of utter sh*t, spoken by someone who has probably never actually been here in their life.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
The SGI area finishes at Batemans Bay and is actually St George, Illawarra & South Coast; and yes, the St George Leagues have supplied funds to all 3 leagues at various times over the years.

Canberra have ownership of the coast areas south of Batemans bay down to the border.

Thanks for that post mate. Looks like the only area in NSW from the Blue mountains East is covered expect the 20% of the NSW population that lives on the Central Coast and North Shore area.

In a previous job I spent a hell of a lot of time in NE/NNSW, and saw/met shytloads of Knights fans - while collectively Sydney teams would have more fans, the Knights would easily be the single most popular team in my experience.

I guess we see what we want to see, huh.

Well there you have it. Thanks mate.

Happy Holidays.

and to you as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are full of sh*t. :D

To say that the club isn't willing to involve the people of Cairns is a load of utter sh*t, spoken by someone who has probably never actually been here in their life.

I spent a couple of weeks up there 4 years ago and didn't see one piece of evidence that the Cowboys existed. Maybe it has changed, maybe I just didn't look in the right places, the point I was making is that having a 100K people 3 hours away does not necessarly make a team more viable. How many Cowboys sponsors are from Cairns? How many members are from Cairns? How much merchandise do the Cowboys sell in Cairns? What's the TV viewing figures like for Cowboys games in Cairns? These are the things that contribute to the viability of a club. Sorry if I offended your delicate nature! :D

beave

Coach
I have been to 3 trial games there and all had crowds around the 13-15k mark. I would say at least a third to a half were wearing some sort of cowboys merch and the others that werent were still cheering for the cowboys. It was pretty obvious who the crowds were going for........Member numbers from Cairns???'f**k knows, only the club would know but it's pretty obvious when we have monday night games our crowds suffer probably more tham most teams because our out of towners can't make it. tv figures, again I don't know but it's definetley a league town. Cairns sponsors??? The toyota you see on our jersey is actually all the north queensland dealerships putting in the $$$$, not the company as a whole, if you didnt see the signs on the side of the road to the south of cairns showing this then you either didn't drive past it or you are blind.

Most of the other sponsors we have are nationally or at least statewide known brands like XXXX, Harvey Norman, Joyce Mayne,coke,bundy rum but the locally aimed ones like dairy farmers and CSR are pretty much due the regions near cairns like innisfail and malanda where the sugar and dairy industries are king. There are other companies like QLD Country Credit union and WIN that are also closely related to the more rural based fans that cover the whole area up here.

The club does as much as it can to include the people of cairns, but you have to remember we have one of the biggest areas of any pro team of any sport in the world to cover. You concentrate on cairns too much and the people of mackay get sh*tty. Then you have Mt Isa to look after, they do the very best they can, but bagging them out after only a few weeks is pretty harsh, were you there during the offseason?????

And my delicate nature,hahaha, don't make me laugh, if anyone dare bag out the Perth Reds or their bid, you are the first one to have a cry. I am the first to bag out my team when they do the wrong thing, their on field efforts of the last few years I have been probably one of their more critical people on here and I am a fanatic of the mob. But I will stand up for my club when I see people bagging them out over crap like that, you do realise they won the award from the NRL as the most community focused club????????????

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
CQ has the population? Where?

Being from Perth I know first hand the boom and bust nature of the resource industry. It tends to go in 5-7 year cycles with 2-3 years lean times in between. Without the population to sustain it is putting all the eggs in one basket to be relying just on the resource industry to keep backing a club.

Imo the 4th QLD team has to be in or around Brisbane somewhere. Ipswich fits that nicely.
CQ could be the 5th QLD team some day.

BDGS

Bench
with Wayne Bennett as their coach and Greg Inglis their marquee signing.

New teams shouldn't take away from the existing competition. Players are different in this and age sure buy a few but don't rely on such big names that is just silly talk. They should at least have their own coach though.

Latest posts