What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
yeah because it doesn't work for your case i am side stepping away from the topic, the topic of which i brought up.
:crazy:

dgsfan

Juniors
The Bears eventual decay of Manly and Newcastle. They're worried. They don't want the bears back in. I wonder why?

joshreading

Staff member
Has anyone thought about a set up similar to GWS with Canberra (yes I know that is bad to mention) but the AFL have embraced the reality of multi City teams with a primary base and it seems to be working a treat.

The Jets (or whatever you want to call them) could be based out of Brisbane but play up to 4 games in CQ (one of which would be preseason). It gives the new team a chance to spread its financial and supporter base. It could have an academy etc. The Comets could also be a feeder team for them.

One of the things the NRL continue to ignore is the potential of multi-base clubs.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Has anyone thought about a set up similar to GWS with Canberra (yes I know that is bad to mention) but the AFL have embraced the reality of multi City teams with a primary base and it seems to be working a treat.

The Jets (or whatever you want to call them) could be based out of Brisbane but play up to 4 games in CQ (one of which would be preseason). It gives the new team a chance to spread its financial and supporter base. It could have an academy etc. The Comets could also be a feeder team for them.

One of the things the NRL continue to ignore is the potential of multi-base clubs.

What evidence do you have to support this claim?

BDGS

Bench
The Bears eventual decay of Manly and Newcastle. They're worried. They don't want the bears back in. I wonder why?

Manly have shown over the years they are more interested in developing and supporting grass roots Rugby League on the Sunshine Coast then the the Central Coast. It's not a bad thing but its shows their plans for the Central Coast. We have already had MANLY FANS on this SITE saying manly would lose nothing from the inclusion of the Central Coast and one even said they would gain from the Central Coast coming in.

Newcastle are struggling to run a competitive team in their own region of Newcastle and the hunter. This area is an massive area and it is Rugby League heartland. The area is bigger then Penrith for crying out loud. The inclusion of the Central Coast first ever NRL team would assure not only that the Central Coast would get big crowds but teams like Manly and Newcastle (no matter how bad they are going in any particular year) would get a full house.

And if that is too much logic for you to understand then think about it this way. Tinkler will end up buying the Knights out and set up their future for a long time no matter what other teams are included. We could have 2 teams from there again and with Tinkler running the Knights they would survive.

Now go ahead and call this statement bullsh*t like you have done to every other logic post.

imasharkie

Coach
New teams shouldn't take away from the existing competition. Players are different in this and age sure buy a few but don't rely on such big names that is just silly talk. They should at least have their own coach though.

hahaha..hook,line and sinker:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What evidence do you have to support this claim?

Well they seem to be able to get $'s for expansion of their game without having to base teams in every population centre in the country. Tasmania, NT and Canberra all have AFL team links, regular games, jnr development funding and sponsorships happening without having permanent teams based there. How come AFL is getting all this money to expand into new areas yet NRL doesn't? I'll tell you why, because 1. NRL leadership sucks and has no strategy or vision 2. Clubs would rather struggle than think outside their square 3. NRL is still seen as a NSW/Q'land game and other States are not falling overthemselves to have the NRL play games in their cities.

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/hot_topics/better_football_deal_with_hawks

http://aflnt.com.au/index.php?id=6&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=217&tx_ttnews[backPid]=5&cHash=b18b61acb7

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=105020

dgsfan

Juniors
Who knows more, Manly fans or the higher ups at Manly? Gee I wonder... Why don't Manly and Newy want the Bears in? Simple question yet to be answered...

Reds & QLD 2013!

BDGS

Bench
Well they seem to be able to get $'s for expansion of their game without having to base teams in every population centre in the country. Tasmania, NT and Canberra all have AFL team links, regular games, jnr development funding and sponsorships happening without having permanent teams based there. How come AFL is getting all this money to expand into new areas yet NRL doesn't? I'll tell you why, because 1. NRL leadership sucks and has no strategy or vision 2. Clubs would rather struggle than think outside their square 3. NRL is still seen as a NSW/Q'land game and other States are not falling overthemselves to have the NRL play games in their cities.

http://aflnt.com.au/index.php?id=6&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=217&tx_ttnews[backPid]=5&cHash=b18b61acb7

I don't consider the AFL smart. Going by the regular 6:00pm news here in Sydney over the past two years we have heard about how AFL Adelaide Crows, Port Power, North Melbourne and Hawthorn are all struggling but going by what AFL fans are saying the AFL has decided to continue to grow without helping out these teams.

This reminds me of another codes big expansion that come to a loss.

But NRL fans can take comfort in that even though there are no NRL teams in any state outside the East coast of Australia, Rugby League is the most watched winter sport in the country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL is helping those teams out, and looking to increasingly do so.

Also the expansion is costing very little, those 3 expansions are being covered by state Govt's and sponsors. Clubs benefit, their game benefits and they continue to push the line of a National game to the media and TV execs.

One of the troubled clubs you mentioned is receiving $18million from the Tassie Govt to play games there. Ask yourself why cant the Cronulla Sharks get a same deal from the SA govt to play 4 games a year in Adelaide, or Sths in Perth or NQ in Darwin?

How come the AFl is so proactive in securing deals and tying up areas yet we flounder along hoping that a club or some well meaning volunteers will develop the game in an area?

http://www.newsroom.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=printRelease&ID=6156

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
I don't consider the AFL smart. Going by the regular 6:00pm news here in Sydney over the past two years we have heard about how AFL Adelaide Crows, Port Power, North Melbourne and Hawthorn are all struggling but going by what AFL fans are saying the AFL has decided to continue to grow without helping out these teams.

This reminds me of another codes big expansion that come to a loss.

But NRL fans can take comfort in that even though there are no NRL teams in any state outside the East coast of Australia, Rugby League is the most watched winter sport in the country.

The Crows have 50000+ members as do Hawthorn. They are in no trouble at all.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide have an interesting relationship with their owner (the SANFL) and the SANFL bleeds them dry. In fact Adelaide would be wildly profitable and Port Adelaide profitable without the SANFL "withdrawing" $12m / yr from them. Adelaide made their first ever loss this yr on an average home attendance of 31,000+.

Hawthorn made a profit of $2.3M this year 2010 on revenue of $40M. so they're no in trouble.

NM are in a bit of bother, but they are bigger than nearly all the NRL clubs but in AFL terms a minnow. they receive CBF funding from the AFL to make up for their shiity draw and lack of exposure. Mel and WB also get CBF funding. (CBF = competitive balance fund)

The AFL budget for GC and GWS is rumoured to be in excess of $120M. so they are prepared to support all their clubs.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

I understand you are particularly fond of the administration of aussie rules but none of that answers my question. No team in the AFL is "multi-city" based, even Hawthorn which plays a number of games in Tasmania. The post I was questioning seems to imply that the GWS supposed embracing of the Western Suburbs of Sydney and Canberra has been a resounding success. Surely you can understand the jury is still out on that one.

If you want to make the point that the NRL are poor administrators you will not have to convince me, but let's not make sycophantic statements regarding aussie rules.

BDGS

Bench
The Crows have 50000+ members as do Hawthorn. They are in no trouble at all.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide have an interesting relationship with their owner (the SANFL) and the SANFL bleeds them dry. In fact Adelaide would be wildly profitable and Port Adelaide profitable without the SANFL "withdrawing" $12m / yr from them. Adelaide made their first ever loss this yr on an average home attendance of 31,000+.

Hawthorn made a profit of $2.3M this year 2010 on revenue of $40M. so they're no in trouble.

NM are in a bit of bother, but they are bigger than nearly all the NRL clubs but in AFL terms a minnow. they receive CBF funding from the AFL to make up for their shiity draw and lack of exposure. Mel and WB also get CBF funding. (CBF = competitive balance fund)

The AFL budget for GC and GWS is rumoured to be in excess of $120M. so they are prepared to support all their clubs.

My best friend is a crows support, they took a loss this year and that was after somebody who is rich bailed them out. They also borrowed money from banks to compete this year. AFL are doing very little for these teams which is leaving in South Australia the opinion amongst the fans that the AFL "wants it back to the VFL". I was done their last month dealing with this topic.

BDGS

Bench
AFL is helping those teams out, and looking to increasingly do so.

Also the expansion is costing very little, those 3 expansions are being covered by state Govt's and sponsors. Clubs benefit, their game benefits and they continue to push the line of a National game to the media and TV execs.

One of the troubled clubs you mentioned is receiving $18million from the Tassie Govt to play games there. Ask yourself why cant the Cronulla Sharks get a same deal from the SA govt to play 4 games a year in Adelaide, or Sths in Perth or NQ in Darwin?

How come the AFl is so proactive in securing deals and tying up areas yet we flounder along hoping that a club or some well meaning volunteers will develop the game in an area?

http://www.newsroom.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=printRelease&ID=6156

GWS expansion will cost them a lot, it'll either fail or kill the swans (won't happen). You can't take AFL or Melbourne culture and just put it in the area determined by the AFL as "greater western Sydney". They have given a team to this area that they didn't want, playing them out of another area that isn't the greater western Sydney. Taking a proportion of that teams home games interstate and making them wear different colours while in another state with a name that i was told was to "appeal to americans". AFL has tried to have their cake and eat it too and we'll just sit back and watch it fail. GWS alone will cost the AFL bucketloads each year. Let alone giving away memberships to the GCS and other marketing things that i have heard from out of family on the GC.

dgsfan

Juniors
My best friend is a crows support, they took a loss this year and that was after somebody who is rich bailed them out. They also borrowed money from banks to compete this year. AFL are doing very little for these teams which is leaving in South Australia the opinion amongst the fans that the AFL "wants it back to the VFL". I was done their last month dealing with this topic.

You don't think QLD fans would feel the same way about the NRL "wanting it back to the NSWRL" if the Bears (11th NSW team) are admitted?

adamkungl

Immortal
Who knows more, Manly fans or the higher ups at Manly? Gee I wonder... Why don't Manly and Newy want the Bears in? Simple question yet to be answered...

Reds & QLD 2013!

because they don't want quality competition showing up their own inadequecies? They are looking at it the wrong way - CC v Manly and CC v Newcastle should sell out every time. Would be a boost for both clubs.

Latest posts